Speaker 1: Oh, this is much better. Yeah, I can put this over here where I can see you, but I don't even need that. It just looks cool to have a computer open. Oh, now case.
Speaker 2: There you are. Oh, hello, hello, hello.
Speaker 1: Look, hi, it's me. You know what's nice about a moving microphone you can move it. Yeah, exactly, this is enormous with your host, harley and KC. When was it? Was it two weeks ago? Three weeks ago, a couple of Sundays ago? Yes, we met up with one of our listeners who was on a travel trip across the country.
Speaker 2: Right, they were doing a little cross country tour and they happened to stop through Denver. Tell our listeners what happened. We arranged a meeting at a local bar here, a gay bar. Go to the suite and meet us there.
Speaker 1: We were supposed to meet at a particular time. I said, well, where are they coming from? And you said Glenwood Springs or some. They're up in the mountains and I said well, they're going to be about three hours late because they probably have no idea what the traffic's like.
Speaker 2: And I wasn't considering that either that the traffic coming down off of the mountain was going to slow everything down.
Speaker 1: It used to be just on ski days, like Saturdays and Sundays, when people would go for the day, and now it's year round. I-70 is just full of traffic and cars.
Speaker 2: It's pretty bad, and if something happens a little accident or whatever then it really gets backed up for quite a long time.
Speaker 1: We were pretty well lubricated I think would be the word by the time they showed up. But we got to meet them and have a nice chat and exchange numbers and decided we should stay in touch.
Speaker 2: Right, and so here we are at this point of staying in touch.
Speaker 1: Today as a special guest. We actually have DJ Ron in Florida, and I don't know how this works. It's pretty amazing to me that we can see and hear DJ Ron and he's right in front of us, but miles and miles away. How does that work?
Speaker 2: Well, what it is is a lot of tubes and wires connected together with some duct tape and a soldering gun and a little magic, and then now we're connected. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Did you ever make one of those telephone type things where you took a can of beans or something and you put a string in it and you pulled it really tight and you could? You were supposed to be able to hear the other person.
Speaker 2: I hope you dumped out the beans before you put the string in there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, empty can of beans Okay.
Speaker 2: Did you ever do that? Yes, I did. Did it work. It did work. Yes.
Speaker 1: Did you do it? Yeah, and I tried to do it between two houses. It still works. No, it doesn't work. No, you don't hear anything.
Speaker 2: If you don't, if the string has to be taught, as they say, Right, and it can't be touching anything else, if you try to go around corners, that's not going to work, right.
Speaker 1: So what does it need to be taught A lesson? Right and so, because it didn't work for me, that's for sure. But I did have a family that lived across the street and he worked for Bell Telephone Company and he was able to get me some pieces and parts and I put together, actually a handset and whatever other electronic stuff and a battery. I used to like one of those big flashlight batteries that they used to have what were they Six volt or something, a diesel or something?
Speaker 2: They were. Oh, that big square one, oh, the big square one, yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: So I hooked that up and I could actually communicate from upstairs to downstairs and from one room to the other, and that was I couldn't have been happier than a pig and shit. No, what do you?
Speaker 2: like all this podcasting equipment. Yeah, I love it from that.
Speaker 1: So I want to figure out how it works, but I'm not going to be able to, so I'm just going to have to accept that somebody else figured it out and it works. When it works, it's good anyway, but we do actually have our surprise guest here with us and we would like to introduce him. He is DJ Ron from Florida. How you doing?
Speaker 3: DJ. Well, wait a minute, wait a minute, my string isn't taught enough.
Speaker 2: Oh, do we need to teach it a lesson?
Speaker 1: I think it maybe needs to learn something.
Speaker 3: Oh, how are you guys?
Speaker 1: We're doing great Good to see you Now. Do you like to be referred to as DJ or Ron or DJ Ron? Best. Just call me Ron, please. Okay, but not Ronnie.
Speaker 3: Oh no, that's my mom.
Speaker 1: What about Ronno?
Speaker 2: I haven't heard that one before.
Speaker 1: That sounds like a work name. Hey, Ronno, what you're going?
Speaker 2: to do this weekend.
Speaker 3: Uh, sir, sir comes to mind.
Speaker 2: Sir yeah.
Speaker 3: Sir, that's when you're a manager.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, we met you on your trip around the country. What was that about? Negative?
Speaker 3: You met us at Pride 48 in New Orleans.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I do this all the time. I have a horrible memory.
Speaker 2: We did, we did, yeah, so this is your first Pride 48 experience, harley, and therefore you had sensory overload, I think.
Speaker 1: I was drunk.
Speaker 2: The whole time. Well, there's that too, and also that he's right.
Speaker 3: I mean, there were so many people there and trying to remember who and what show they're on, and trying to have conversations with anybody and or everybody, and then trying. But I know that the guys in Seattle, the gayish boys, they went through the same thing where it's like. I don't remember. Of course I think they were drunk. No, I'm kidding.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I, there's a. There's a dynamic too where, well, where you go to an event like that and some people don't know each other and then other people know each other pretty well, right, and so you're kind of trying to figure out all those interconnections. So that kind of makes for a thing too. And then there's also the dynamic where, as a listener because I would just I went at that point as a listener where I think I know people because I've heard them talk about themselves and I've heard them tell stories about their life. So I feel like I know them, I literally know them, and I don't, and they don't know me. They don't know anything about me or who I am, or whatever. I'm just a listener.
Speaker 3: So Right, I had the same experience with Big Fatty. All the stories that I'd heard on his little show and, you know, I felt like I knew the man inside and out. And then when I actually met him, it's like no, this was a whole different dynamic. Right Now he's an actual flesh and blood guy. It's not that he was different so different from his character, but still there was a difference between what you heard and the real person.
Speaker 2: I just didn't want to run up to somebody and try to be At first. I did, you know, like try to be too familiar with them because I knew them. I didn't know who the heck I was, you know, so I didn't want to scare anybody with my presence.
Speaker 1: Your enormous presence.
Speaker 2: My enormous presence.
Speaker 1: That probably would have scared them. Actually, you think so. Yeah, until they got to know you better. Okay, I think most people in a large group like that are probably a little insecure, a little shy, a little don't know what to say. Sure, I come across in a large group sometimes as being overtly friendly. People refer to me as the life of the party, but the reality is is that inside I am socially very awkward. I usually find one person that I can talk to and latch on. Then I look very animated and excited and you know we'll talk about anything. So if people standing around me see that they think I'm the life of the party and I'm just ignoring them. But I'm not. I'm really not comfortable in that environment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm the same way. I feel very introverted, introverted, extrovert or extroverted, introvert, or however they say that. Back when I did hair, back in the days of standing behind the chair, I had to perform that job and be a character you know to, because part of the thing is not just the hair, it's also being this character for the people that are sitting there You're performing in a way. Yeah, so sometimes in a social setting I have to still sort of like pretend like I'm standing behind the chair to interact with people and not be too awkward.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I totally get that.
Speaker 3: Well, it would make it awkward if you carried a chair with you all the time and you know right.
Speaker 2: I wish I could A little a hydraulic chair, pump it up and down here, have a seat here and pump their chair.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he does, he carries a chair with him.
Speaker 2: Well, that's a different kind of chair.
Speaker 1: He has a special chair. It's a special bag for it. It kind of looks like a little hat box A little hat box, and you can pack it on trips and carry it with him. It's lovely, so he's always comfortable with his chair.
Speaker 3: I'll be seeing him this weekend at the horror hotel and I'm sure the hat box will be there.
Speaker 1: I'm sure, and that's the way I think, he keeps his back aligned right. You know, if you have a too soft of a chair, you might get a sore back or too hard of a chair. It's kind of like a bed, and so he just takes his chair with him and it's the perfect comfortable fit every time, and I think we refer to that as a Chaya Chaya. Well, Fatty refers to it as a Chaya. I have to tell you a quick story, because this is my life of tangents and being attention deficit disorder. The first time I was introduced to Sarge it was in passing in a bar and he just said hi and sort of ran by and I thought he was some old guy. You did, yeah. I mean I was 41 or 42 and I thought Sarge was like 65 or 70. Well, he doesn't look old.
Speaker 2: Why were you thinking that yeah?
Speaker 1: funny, but that was just, you know, just real quick, and Sarge didn't want to interrupt the conversation. Sarge is very polite, he always wants people to feel comfortable and be themselves, and so he just darted off. So then I met him a second time and I was at my frame store, which was in downtown Denver at the time, and he came walking through the parking lot with a very handsome construction worker type who I knew and was it one of the village people? It could have been Okay. Yeah, it was a construction guy and every morning I'd walk my dog in the park and I would meet him every morning. He just was on the same schedule and, like many people who own dogs, I knew his dog's name and I knew everybody's dog's name, but I didn't know people's name. So I met a friend of his without knowing that he knew, sarge.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Walking the dog around. And when they came walking across the parking lot I go oh hey, how's it going? How's uh? Miho or Mihe or I forget what this dog's name was. Now it was many, many years ago and he said great. I said who's your handsome friend? And Sarge said to me we've already met. And I went, we did win. He said at the triangle. And I said I'm sorry, I don't remember when was that? Well, you were talking to my friend from New Jersey who was visiting me and staying at my place. I said I didn't know. I said you walked by so quickly I didn't get a good look at you. So by the third time we were introduced, he was at my neighbor's next door to where I lived and apparently he was really good friends with him. Wow. And so we were introduced the third time, I remember I was just going to say did you remember him that time?
Speaker 2: Okay, Very good.
Speaker 3: Did he look old either time second or third? No, yeah.
Speaker 2: He looked about 30, which is about how old he was when I met him. Compared to you, yeah, he was the younger one.
Speaker 1: He was the younger one, yeah.
Speaker 2: Does that make you the daddy it does and did. Okay.
Speaker 1: I'd never, ever, dated somebody younger than me. I'd always liked older guys and he was the first one. And there was something there and the dynamics worked. And here we are, you know, 24 years later, and we're still fighting and bitching at each other. No, I'm just kidding.
Speaker 2: Bravo, it worked out okay, bravo. Well, every day is not a bed of roses. There's thorns some days, that's true.
Speaker 3: Yep, it's just life. Life is a roller coaster.
Speaker 1: Ron said that we had met and I had forgotten.
Speaker 2: Oh yes.
Speaker 1: And KC was trying to explain to me when and where, and, but it was an overwhelming weekend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was a lot going on there, it sure was. Yeah, yep, that's the truth.
Speaker 1: And I had on very dark sunglasses and a cap.
Speaker 3: I thought you were just trying to be cool, oh yeah, it worked. Mysterious.
Speaker 2: So mysterious.
Speaker 1: So that was the first time we met, and so the second time I guess is that right Is the second time in Denver.
Speaker 3: The second time was in Denver. Yeah, gary, with two hours, and I were both he's semi retired, I am retired. I live in St Petersburg, florida, and we all know this year especially gosh, the heat and humidity every summer just does me in down here. So we go on a road trip and it's partial camping, partial motelling, partial staying with friends. Last year we went up the northeast, pretty much up I-95 into Canada. Wow, this is the three provinces and a bunch of states in the northeast and this year we decided on the northwest. So we went up to Indiana where that's where I grew up, indiana and in to Illinois see family and friends. But from the Chicago land area we pretty much started heading west and we did the national parks, badlands, mount Rushmore we camped there for a couple days Yellowstone and then fourth July weekend we were in Spokane, washington, at this really awesome lake just outside of Spokane I think it's called Medical Lake and the big joke there in Spokane County, no fireworks. Nobody is supposed to have fireworks. That kept us up all night with the echoing of fireworks all around the lake. It was a pretty spectacular show actually.
Speaker 1: Unlike Seattle, though, Spokane is very dry.
Speaker 3: Right, it is it is, and the weather really cooperated with us. We did get rain in the Black Hills, but it wasn't an all day event. From Spokane we went to Seattle for three days, then up to Vancouver for a couple days. I didn't care for Vancouver, sorry. I know a lot of people love Vancouver, but Now you mean Vancouver BC, not Vancouver Washington. Yes, I'm sorry, bc. We took the ferry over to Victoria and that's when Gary hooked up with and cousin he had not seen in 30 years and that was wonderful. Spending time with him, watching them get to know each other again, that was awesome.
Speaker 2: Nice, that's really nice.
Speaker 1: I was hoping you were going to say with an old friend who is a Mountie, a Canadian Mountie, that we hooked up. Yeah, why?
Speaker 3: I'm not sure I would object to that.
Speaker 1: That sounds a lot of fun those big hats would get in the way it's just the name Mountie, Mountie and Canadian and the whole outdoors fresh air thing with Mountie, I just I can't get out for that.
Speaker 2: Are you stuck on that with Gerthey word Mountie.
Speaker 1: That Gerthey word Mountie.
Speaker 3: There we go, gerthey, the word of the day. From Victoria we took the ferry into Port Angeles, washington, drove down the 101 all the way into about the middle of coastal Oregon and I don't remember the name of that town, but we about froze to death there. It was so cold and we left there and started driving to Seattle, I'm sorry, to Salem, oregon. And we got about halfway up into the mountains and I looked down at the thermostat on my car and it was 81 degrees. I couldn't believe how cold it was on the coast versus just you know, maybe a half hour drive north into the mountains From Oregon. That's a whole different animal right there, because I met three sisters in Oregon that I didn't even know I had up until a year ago. Oh wow, Story for another day.
Speaker 1: Was that a genetic testing story? Yeah, kind of yeah. Oh, wow.
Speaker 3: I was born illegitimate. My father went on to have a different family and I never knew about them. And again, whole different story. Was it a?
Speaker 2: good experience meeting them. It was, it was All three sisters were awesome.
Speaker 3: The fourth sister actually lives across the bridge in Bradenton and I get to see her. She was the first one I met in person.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay.
Speaker 3: And all of a sudden I went from having two sisters to six. Wow, and I've got a homophobic brothers. But that's another story for another day.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, yeah, Lots of stories to. We've got lots of stories to sort of ease out of you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so from the east side of Oregon, we crossed back through Idaho into Utah, went out to the Great Salt Lake. It's big, it's salty, get over it, yes, yeah. And from there we drove through the Rockies, which I just fell in love with. Oh my God, the Rockies are awesome, beautiful. Yeah, they are the Reddow River. The whole setting was just amazing. And then, yeah, three hours of backed up traffic from the Rockies into Denver, trying desperately to get connected with you guys at the bar suite which, I would say we were pretty set on waiting for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but the drinks kept coming. They sure did.
Speaker 2: The go-go dancers kept dancing and the drinks kept coming.
Speaker 3: So we were entertained. We found parking about a half block away, which I was surprised, and we walked in there and it's like, okay, what are we getting ourselves into here? There's nobody here.
Speaker 2: And then we saw downstairs.
Speaker 3: Then we saw the stairs and it's like, oh, I bet they're all upstairs, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Everybody goes upstairs. We always feel a little sorry for the bartenders that are working downstairs, because frequently they're not nearly as busy as what the upstairs is.
Speaker 1: But it's nice to have a place to talk in a bar too. Sometimes you want to quiet and to talk.
Speaker 3: Sure, that was always my complaint about the gay. Discos are wonderful back in the day, but where do you go to talk and meet people? You can see people, but yeah, that's the truth.
Speaker 2: It was hard and I have trouble always hearing anyway, so I'm always saying what, what and leaning my air in.
Speaker 1: Now were we your last major stop, or did you?
Speaker 3: Actually, we went from Denver across Kansas into Missouri. We stopped at a gay campground in southern Missouri, for I think we were there three nights and we hooked up with, as Big Fatty would say, the number one, number one fan, bill, and his partner, craig oh nice. Yeah, it was, and it was wonderful visiting with them. And then from there it was kind of we were kind of at that point done with traveling. We had been on the road six weeks.
Speaker 2: I was going to ask that how long it was. It seemed like it was a while yeah.
Speaker 3: And again, the whole purpose was to get out of the heat. And once we, denver, was on the hot. Well, it was hot. From Baker City, oregon, through Utah, colorado, kansas, it was all hot. I mean, oddly enough, it was cooler than once we got back to St Petersburg, which were, you know, I call it the swamp affectionately. It's hot, it's steamy, it's fun to be outside.
Speaker 2: So did you travel with a tent? That's how you did the camping thing. Oh, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: It's too bad. You guys didn't see the back of the SUV. We could have opened up the back and it was like okay, where do you fit air?
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, it's a tight fit, but we do it and. And then driving. Who drives? Do you take turns driving or we do take turns driving?
Speaker 3: I do more than him, but we took let's say we drove 9,171 miles. No way, yeah, that's a lot yeah you do. Oh my word. Something tells me I should have, I probably should have been an over the road truck driver Because.
Speaker 2: I do enjoy driving. I like to drive too. I don't have a problem with it.
Speaker 1: And drug stops are really great.
Speaker 2: They can be. Particularly if they have showers, they can be.
Speaker 1: My mind always goes straight in the gutter. I see that, but 9,191 miles in six weeks, so what is that per day? I don't know. Did you go somewhere every single day? Somewhere new every day?
Speaker 3: No, no, I mean we were three days at the gate campground in Missouri, two full days at the gate camp ground in Oregon. No one. When we camp, we like to be there at least two days, because nobody wants to pull into a campground at 6pm and then tear it all down at, you know, 9am the next morning. You're right, too much.
Speaker 2: I mean even what I say with pulling the trailer. If I'm going to bother to pull it up somewhere you know and then drop it and then hook all the hookups and set everything up and do all those things, I need to be there for a few days to make it worth my while to do that Exactly.
Speaker 3: So I the tenting, it's because, oh yeah, I'm cheap. I've looked at trailers and I'm thinking, okay, I need a vehicle that will actually hold this thing, because I'm driving a Ford Edge, which I love. My edge Get me wrong. But you know I'm not really comfortable towing anything behind that SUV. I want something a little beefier, like a F-150 or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then I would consider it. But so in the meantime, yeah, we do the tenting, have an air mattress, we have a screened room that we a screen tent that we put up so that way I can do cooking and we have a place to stay away from the bugs stay away from the buggies yeah.
Speaker 2: Nice, that sounds perfect yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I had a. I had a similar experience once with my previous partner to Sarge, which is really dating me. If I've been with Sarge for 24 years, that's that really, you know, and I was with the previous one for 14. He must be old I am old, okay but this will really date. This will really date me. We decided that we wanted to do a trip sort of like yours. We wanted to go from Denver to Wilmington, delaware, which is where I'm from originally, so that's where my parents were living at the time and then we wanted to go down the East coast to Atlanta and then from Atlanta come back to Denver, so sort of a three prong trip. And it was going to be all camping, except for one night a week we would stay at a motel so we could watch Dynasty.
Speaker 2: That's also dating you, I think.
Speaker 1: Does that date me?
Speaker 2: Watching Dynasty.
Speaker 1: And you were saying there was no air left in the back of your SUV.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah.
Speaker 1: We did this whole trip in a Fiero, a Pontiac Fiero.
Speaker 2: Oh my God, oh, just Lord, just a two-seater. You don't have anything. There's no room to take stuff with.
Speaker 1: We had stuff around our legs in the passenger area, we had stuff under the seats, we had stuff behind the seats and we camped the whole way.
Speaker 3: You strapped anything to the roof.
Speaker 1: No, we did not strapped anything to the roof. We did not have a rack. I don't even think we had anything on the trunk. It was a pretty amazing trip, but I thought it was really funny that we had to stay at a motel every Wednesday night just to get a really good shower. Well, that's not really true. It's really to watch Dynasty.
Speaker 2: Mostly to watch Dynasty Jeez.
Speaker 1: But it was so fun, it was a great trip. Well, I don't want to. I don't know what our time is, casey, how are we doing on time? Good, so we have a little segment we call Behind the Curtain.
Speaker 2: Are we like Fatty? We're podcasting with pants off.
Speaker 3: Could be Sitting on a special chair.
Speaker 1: Special chair. I'm sitting on a special chair with my pants off, exactly. No underwear, of course, but so in this particular little episode, I thought it would be interesting to do a Behind the Curtain, and what I wanted to share with our listeners is the technical side of this and how much trouble we have.
Speaker 2: Oh that we spent a few minutes prior to recording.
Speaker 3: Like you, mop up all the blood.
Speaker 1: Oh, that was pretty. Yeah, that's about right. I thought Casey was going to hit me. We almost got into it once. We almost got into it once, but we're good. But next time now we know. So this was a practice run and if we do the live broadcast, but the way we're recording, just everybody knows that's listening to us. We're in the studio at the Tiki Bar yeah, casey's place, this is Casey's place, and we have two lovely microphones on Mike's stands and a digital mixing board that's on a sort of a tripod thing holding it up in front of us, and a couple pop pop screens, and the microphones are supported by sort of this elastic frame holding it, so there's no vibrations, however, and then we have a laptop. We have Casey's little baby laptop sitting on a. What is that?
Speaker 2: It's a plant stand, it's a plant stand. I guess that's the best thing, it's on top of that A box, what?
Speaker 1: A cardboard box, mike's cardboard box. And what's on top of that? A laptop.
Speaker 2: So there you go. And then what's on the laptop? Ron is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, ron, sitting on top of the laptop.
Speaker 2: You're on a plant stand, in case you were wondering where you're at.
Speaker 3: I was wondering why my ass hurt?
Speaker 1: And was wet and smelled like dirt.
Speaker 3: We call that Thursday.
Speaker 2: Thursday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's sort of a little behind the scenes thing.
Speaker 2: Sometimes people think that it's very fancy and they see pictures of it's not fancy, but we actually went from more wires to less wires through the course of the morning here we did, so that's interesting that we do have on some kind of headphones and I'm watching the recording device and it is doing mixed minus. Look at, we're not on the fourth track, but now you watch when Ron talks.
Speaker 3: Oh, when Ron talks, See oh man.
Speaker 2: We can still hear ourselves from that same track, but it's not recording us, it's only recording you on that track. So that's pretty fancy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's very fancy.
Speaker 3: And behind the curtain. My fancy setup here is I've got an HP laptop and a Blue Yeti microphone and an office chair.
Speaker 1: Tell me about the microphone why you like that microphone, what the advantages are, because I'm thinking about a new, new microphones for the for me.
Speaker 3: This is just a standard desk microphone. Blue Yetis are relatively inexpensive about 125 bucks. You can get a mad big box or through Amazon, but it sits on the desk. But I don't touch the desk and I just think the sound quality instead of paying, you know hundreds and hundreds the sound quality is to me sounds pretty good.
Speaker 1: So, ron, it's our tradition to talk about a song that had a big influence in our lives. That maybe takes us back to a point in time. I think you've probably heard us do it listening to our podcast. Do you have a song for us today? He doesn't listen to this.
Speaker 3: I know. No, I've listened. I've listened to this, I do. I mentioned that I met four new sisters well, three new sisters in Oregon. So I'm not. I was never in a genealogy. My dearest and oldest friend, dan, met him in junior high school and we have been besties all these years. He and his partner live south of San Francisco and if it wouldn't have been for Dan's interest in genealogy, I would have probably never met these sisters. Way back when my friend Dan and his current husband, they moved from Chicago to Germany and the song of my life that brings back a flood of memories and sometimes I get teary-eyed when I hear it Is Daniel from Elton John.
Speaker 2: Oh, I love that song.
Speaker 1: I love that song and that is totally my, my error, that's mine too.
Speaker 2: He had a Elton John had a lot of influence and my in my formative years and you know how music kind of does sort of Lead you in directions and stuff.
Speaker 1: So that's a good one. It's emotional for you. Is it a teary? Happy? Emotional or teary, melancholy or sad?
Speaker 3: melancholy Because my friend Daniel was leaving on a plane to move to Europe and I wasn't going to be seeing him as often as I did. But the beauty of our friendship. We can be apart two, three years, not talk, and then one of us will pick up the phone and call and it's like no, no time is past, isn't that great.
Speaker 2: That's awesome.
Speaker 1: That is one of the things about a good friend and about being of a certain age and Having formed those kind of friends. You don't have to be in contact all the time To feel like they're right with you somehow.
Speaker 3: That's right. It's really amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's beautiful. I love that song. Great choice, yep. Okay, who's going?
Speaker 2: next? I don't know I think.
Speaker 1: Harley should Really you go, you know, and before KC.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is like the second time I've done that or third, maybe even that you've gone before I.
Speaker 1: Was trying to think of a song as I was driving from the Gilpin Ranch over to the Tiki recording studio, and Something that would have an emotional feeling to it, not just a song that maybe was about today or anything. And I thought back as far as I could to when I was a young, young child in the summer and I said I'll bet you it's hotter than hell in most places in the country. And I thought it reminded me of my childhood when we used to spend summers in Rehoboth Beach, delaware. My great aunt had a house there and Once a year we were allowed to use it for a week, wow, and my family would drive from Wilmington down to Rehoboth Beach and we would stay at her house and we would spend all day on the beach, on the sand, in the ocean, digging holes, playing with these little crabs that burrow into the sand. See how deep we could get in the ocean. And Very often it would get too hot, because there, I'm sure, like Florida Are, the humidity was 80 or 90 percent, it would be 80 or 90 degrees, and plus we'd have sun tan oil or lotion all over us. We were sweating to death, we would go under the boardwalk and I used to love. This was so much fun when I was a kid because it was shady and cool under there so you could crawl under the boardwalk. There was enough space to sit and play with your sand toys or whatever and listen to the people walking and talking on the boardwalk Above us, and it was so hot out in the sun and so cool under there that I thought of the song under the boardwalk and my favorite version of that is the original by the drifters, and so I listened to that on the way over and I just I would have to say it made me a little melon color to think of, to think of, to think of the smell of the popcorn and the french fries in the peanut oil that was a big deal and think of the saltwater taffy that was made on the boardwalk. The being carefree.
Speaker 2: It's the most interesting thing to me that we can take some notes and put them in a particular order. Maybe there's not even words. Just hearing those notes makes you feel a Particular kind of way good or bad, or melancholy, or there's a lot of characteristics of music that are.
Speaker 1: We don't understand. I don't think how you can say Daniel and Elton John, and I can hear that song in my head. Definitely too. Yeah, and remind me.
Speaker 2: I've got the drifters going through my head right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and remind me of this.
Speaker 1: You know, daniel reminds me, or Elton John reminds me of the 70s and graduating from high school. And Just one word, just the word, daniel. Hmm, yeah, that's a good one. I really like that song.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I still have all those albums KC.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: Your turn, it's my turn. Well, I'm gonna. I'm choosing one that actually originally was performed by collective soul, I think, in in 1993, but later on Dolly Parton, Uh-huh. But later on Dolly Parton came along In about what? 2001, I believe, and redid this song, and the name of the song is shine, and I like the way she does it. Typically, you know, that's not the. I think quite frequently we like the original Version or the original artist or the original recording of something, but the when she gets to the chorus of that words heaven, let your light shine down on me. So I'm so good it does, that's so amazing and does it when you?
Speaker 1: when you hear that, do you think of the old song and who you were then and where you were then. I do?
Speaker 2: yeah, I do, but I like her version very well, I generally don't like covers it's named.
Speaker 1: I pretty much Um like the original because it's the one I grew up with. Right, right, you know, the 70s and 60s, uh well, in the 80s too, were a really good time for music, and it was original, creative music. And now there's a lot of recycling.
Speaker 3: So then, you know there's a song Fast car from Tracy Chapman and that's being redone by a country artist. Did that really need to be covered?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's luke holmes that does it. I don't know, I like the way he does it actually. Oh, I don't hate it it's. It's interesting to me because whenever I first heard that song in my head, it's a good song too, really it is a good we should include that sometime I heard A female singing about another female, instantly that song to me became a lesbian song in my mind, really always, always. I wonder if other people I heard it if other people feel that way or if it's just me that thinks that. I mean it's real troubled and there's, you know, there's someone's not having a very good life and there's a. There's a lot of strife in that song, but I love that song.
Speaker 1: Here's what's interesting about a good song like that Is it speaks to a particular human condition and it's it's an emotional feeling. Yes and I can hear that song now and understand the context of the lyrics of the song. I can also listen to that song now and think about where we are as a country and as a society and as a world and everything else and think, gosh, you know, if we could just get a ticket to somewhere. Just to escape Our real lives and the reality of life as it is in 2023. Wouldn't that be awesome? So I can relate a whole another Present feeling to that song. That was pretty simple about somebody with in a dead-end job that wanted to Do better and get away right, and what I did was because I put that spin on it myself To me.
Speaker 2: That's a lesbian song in my head for some reason. I, when I heard Luke Combs sing it, then I appreciated him. I was like, wow, that's cool that he'd take that on, given where we are, you know, right now in the world, and he's a country guy and whatever. But I think that's just me putting my spin on how I hear the song. Probably.
Speaker 1: But the other thing is you can't underestimate the power of dolly parton For you and for me and for a lot of the gay community, just like share or judy garland or some of these queens that we, we, we have in our in our world.
Speaker 2: And you know, my best friend, son, has seen dolly parton in person in the first through the fifth row 18 times. Oh my gosh you're kidding. So, so dolly parton, because that's my best friend's kid, that's. You know. Dolly parton has a place for me. I loved.
Speaker 1: I loved a quote I read about dolly parton recently. She said well, I hope you're looking at these. They cost me over a million dollars. And then the other quote that I liked from her was you have no idea how much money I spent to look this cheap?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that one I've heard before that's that one I've had.
Speaker 3: That's a great one.
Speaker 1: I want to put it. I want to interject one other thing I do too. So you go first. I work with young people. Now I hire young people in order to get my job done. I have to work with 20 year olds, basically, and During the day they're listening to music. It's playing over a speaker in the back in the workshop and they're making picture frames and this, this music's playing, and I hear covers of all kinds of songs that I grew up with. Yeah, and I I'll say to them Well, what do you think of this cover? And they'll say what do you mean? What cover? They think it's a new song, don't they? They think it's a new song. So I have the amazing opportunity to share the original song with these 20-year-olds. Do they like it and to watch their faces and to see them react. Sometimes they like it and they think it's way better, and other times they say they like you know the new version.
Speaker 2: You know, at school, if I played music for my kids and my kids were high school kids they would a lot of music. They would, you know, poo poo it. Or because you know how we are about our genre of music. We think that's the right one and other folks is, is not the right one. The thing that I could always play, which I'm getting off on a tangent, which was the Beatles. Right, everybody loves the Beatles. It's the weirdest thing. I didn't matter what age they were.
Speaker 1: My 20-year-olds loved the Beatles.
Speaker 2: They thought it sounded good. It would always amaze me. Yeah so that was it.
Speaker 1: That was. That was the end of it, Just it's. It's really wonderful to have the opportunity to play an original song for them, and they had no idea, so I love that. So what?
Speaker 2: you said kind of goes along with my comment, and that is a podcast recommendation. There's a podcast called Search Engine Is the name of the podcast Really, a guy did a recent episode. I wish I could remember the name of that one and I can't right now, but it's. It was one about why how to choose music to listen to currently. If you're more mature, like we are, like how can I find some good current music when generally we're at a point where we're kind of more tend more to listen to what we liked in the past when we were younger, and not as much new music? And it's a good, it's a good episode.
Speaker 1: That's true. I do know that Sarge and I on a regular basis go to YouTube and in the search engine we put brand new music videos and we will see new songs that are a day or a week or a month old and try to stay current with stuff like that so that that kind of helps. And the playlist that Casey's friend Larry Flick, who I think who, I think, listens to our podcast. He lives in England with his husband, partner now and he has a playlist. Is it every week?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Facebook he posts it and somewhere else. And Twitter, yeah.
Speaker 1: I think he does it everywhere and you can do it direct. I think it's on Spotify also. It is amazing all new music and with his experience and talking about why it's good and how it's new and what excites him about the music. Do you know?
Speaker 2: Larry Flick Ron, are you familiar with him?
Speaker 3: I have no, the name yes.
Speaker 2: Okay, he's really such his insight and comments and thoughts about music and how it sounds or what it emotes or where it came from. He's really really good and I really respect his musical ability. So I found it. It was. What I found was the podcast is called Search Engine and the episode was called how Do I Find New Music. Now that I'm Old and Irrelevant, but it's a good episode If you want to get some insights about. He interviews a couple of people and just get some insights about music in general, not just the old and irrelevant part. It's a really good episode Search Engine.
Speaker 1: I'm going to listen, do Well, I don't know if we're done. It sort of feels like we're at a place to say goodbye. I'm not goodbye forever, but temporarily. So long We'll do it again. I had a really nice time. I'm glad you had a great time. It was great to get to know you a little better.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: And I think we're going to do this again, let's do it again, yep, if you want.
Speaker 3: I'm glad you're here.
Speaker 1: Oh, and one reminder would you tell our listeners where to find the music we just talked about?
Speaker 2: Our soundtrack of our life music. Yes, we have a playlist on Spotify. There's a link in the show notes.
Speaker 1: Fantastic. Well, there you go. So if you want to hear under the boardwalk or Daniel or Shine, go to our show notes.
Speaker 2: And Dolly Parton Shine, dolly Parton Shine, actually we should post both, you think, so that people can hear the difference. Yeah, collective soul and Dolly Parton, I can put it on there.
Speaker 1: All right, I think that sounds pretty good. Are you happy, ron?
Speaker 3: I am happy and I'm girthy, girthy.
Speaker 1: And you're going to have a girthy weekend.
Speaker 3: Excellent. Yes, I am Heading up to Augusta.
Speaker 1: Nice, nice. So that should be a nice party weekend.
Speaker 2: That's the next recording, we'll get a full report on your weekend. Oh yeah, Sounds good.
Speaker 3: Oh, there you go, I can dish the dirt. We're at the Metropolis Entertainment Complex. This is DJ Ron reporting for the Enormous Boys, the Enormous Podcast, and we're going to be Ron, excuse me, ron.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you got to say it right Enormous.
Speaker 3: That would be internationally acclaimed. Much beloved big fatty.
Speaker 4: Hi there, Hi everyone, Hi Harley, Hi Casey.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so hot dog down the hallway weekend. Yes, you've been coming to a bunch of these. Yes, I have now too. Yes, how many is it for you? For me, it's five, okay, which means I met you five years ago. Yes, and we all know.
Speaker 4: Did I know you were coming, or did you just kind of come up behind me and say, no, you knew I was coming, okay.
Speaker 3: See.
Speaker 4: I don't remember shit, Ron. Well have you noticed that I've taken over your interview.
Speaker 3: Hey, that's perfectly fine. So how would you say, this one went?
Speaker 4: Well, you know I always say that if you're coming to the Madrables in an enumicomplex for the very first time, this is the perfect weekend to come, because it's laid back, it's good food, it's good friends and fun and there's no drama. Nope, now there may be some over-serving A little. You've switched over to club soda and lime or something. Yes, because there may have been a little.
Speaker 3: There may have been just a little. I think they're running out of mixers.
Speaker 4: They are. I'm surprised you even got some club soda. I know, it's amazing. And now I have a question for you. Oh shit, you are doing an interview for the enormous podcast. Is there something going on there, because I know you recently visited Harley and Casey?
Speaker 3: Yes, mr Mann and Sardge and there was no inappropriate touching. That's unfortunate, I know. I will tell you more about that after we conclude this interview. Okay, faddy, love you, love your show. Thanks for the interview.
Speaker 4: Love you more. Love you guys. Thanks for your number. Bye, bye, I'm sorry, bye. Are you finished? Not yet.