Speaker 1: you, you, yeah, tell me when. Let's see, here I've got five still at the Vera talking for three okay, at the Vera still talking. Oh, there you go this is enormous with your host Harley and Casey. Oh my gosh, how did it become September 17th so fast?
Speaker 2: are you ready for us to talk me? You, casey, when I say me, I mean in the. When I say us, I mean in the Royal me. Yes, I'm waiting for you to talk. I'm here. How are you this morning?
Speaker 1: good for a little change. We're actually recording from two separate places, which is new for us, and hopefully everybody can hear what we're saying. I don't know, I feel discombobulated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, we're pretty much amateur as far as live broadcast goes well, I'm just not used to being in this position, straddling my couch here by myself. So what are you gonna do? Well, I got to work with it. It might be pretty terrible. Really, did you know that you have rainbows flashing on the wall behind your head? It's really pretty. It's true, I do. Yeah, they're pretty. Whoops. I guess this is not a visual medium, is it?
Speaker 1: no, it's not a visual medium, but I am sitting in the Gilpin Ranch and there are some things called rainbow makers in the window and they make rainbows fly around the room when the Sun hits them. So it's, that's probably what you're seeing. It's just beautiful. Well, I am so happy to be here. I don't know about you, casey, but four years ago, when we started our podcast, I didn't think we would still be around and I certainly didn't think we'd be doing a live broadcast.
Speaker 2: Be around? You mean like death, or what do you mean be around?
Speaker 1: oh, be around his podcasters. You know part of the Pride 48 group of lineup of shows. We're still here. Why are we?
Speaker 2: here what happened?
Speaker 1: I don't know, a lot of things happened, but they were all good well in 2019 we're in New Orleans and we were at the live event, the Pride 48 weekend, and we met some really nice people. Everyone at the event looked like they were having lots of fun. Maybe they weren't, maybe they were stressed out, but we said, hey, we love to talk, we tell stories. We should do this ourselves. And then when we talked to big fatty, his encouragement that we actually should try it made us make the decision to take a stab at it. He said just make it fun that was his advice and don't worry about anything else.
Speaker 2: So that's what we did so if anybody has a problem with this, send your letters to big fatty online our first episode was has never been released to this day.
Speaker 1: It is still in the vault and I don't know if, casey, you even remember that.
Speaker 2: I think I do. Did we do it on a phone?
Speaker 1: no, we didn't do it on a phone, but we did it on a really bad microphone and it was badly edited and it was in an echoey room and it just, it just wasn't right, so we just canned it. But some day that may have to come out and either all or part of it be released again, but it's not today, I'm sorry to say it might be pretty terrible really so four years now and we are still newbies as far as most of the people in the pride 48 group and from that point of view, we're not the old podcasters of pride 48, we're actually the youngsters. However, babies.
Speaker 2: From the other point of view, yes, we just might be the oldest of the podcasters really, and what point of? View is that, from the trips around the Sun point of view, from the exiting the birth canal point of view, well, that that might be true, I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's is fatty, older than us, I think he's about the same. How old do I sound? That's what's important. Oh, you sound like you're, I don't know, 25 years old, great, great another thing that happened to us while we're at the pride 48 event was we met DJ Ron and Gary. Gary, with two hours and a few weeks ago we saw them in Denver and since Gary and you and I are all of a certain age, what we still have not disclosed yet, I thought it would be fun to talk about that today. Yes, we also have our soundtrack of our life coming up, where we share a song that's like a time machine that can take us back to a special time in the past, and since KC is never without a dad joke, we might have one of those. But before we go any further, I want to welcome oh, there he is there's Ron here.
Speaker 2: Hi guys, good morning, good morning how are you?
Speaker 3: I am fine. It's Sunday morning. I'm watching the chat room and Gary, and Phoenix says that he's giving up but going to his Baptist Church service the morning so he can listen to us. So we got to make this good because we love Gary. Okay, well, we're gonna make it like church, then special church there's a whole bunch of people at Kathy Bacon's here and Kathy wow, hey, kathy bear. And oh my gosh, faye driver says that you sound 40 years younger than big fatty hey, you've always been my favorite, he's not wrong really I think Tim and Alaska is listening in and crown gosh, tim, what's about two in the morning there?
Speaker 2: yikes hi, tim, thanks. Thanks for waking up, setting your alarm.
Speaker 1: I hate to tell you, ron, but it's a bit earlier here in Denver than it is in Florida see that again oh yeah, maybe that didn't come out right. It's a bit earlier here in Denver than it is in Florida. Yes, yes, we are at nine o'clock in Denver and I was up at five and it's 1954 in Florida.
Speaker 3: That's another story.
Speaker 1: I guess we're part of the older group of podcasters age wise.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean Vera is no longer podcasting, but she's 96 97, so that would make.
Speaker 1: Vera the oldest, yeah, and I think fatty was talking about Medicare a while ago, so he would probably be second, and then we might be the next three. That's what I think. So are we gay seniors?
Speaker 2: yes, are we gonna graduate pretty soon if we're seniors? I hope so, or they can hold this back.
Speaker 1: I hope we get to repeat a few years.
Speaker 3: I've wanted to make sure, and we're kind of tying this in a little bit of a tangent. Yesterday they were posting old photos from past Pride 48's on the discord server and there was one that Casey posted of you two guys in New Orleans, and you said how many years ago five. It was 2019, four years ago, yeah. And I'm thinking, wow, these guys have changed. And then I saw the group picture and Gary and I were standing in the back and I'm thinking, oh good Lord, we changed too in just four years. 2020 must have really did us in. Huh.
Speaker 1: It's been hard on everybody. I think it probably did, but I do think there's things that do change more quickly after you hit that big number, and that big number being six zero oh boy.
Speaker 3: That's the one Blind guy, jay says take us to church enormous.
Speaker 1: How late do you start praying?
Speaker 3: Yes, that's it and TB says special church. My priest introduced me to that when I was younger.
Speaker 2: I heard about that.
Speaker 3: I heard about that too. I'm sorry, I'm kind of getting you off track there. You're trying to stay on track.
Speaker 1: I don't think being older is really that bad. What do you think, Ron?
Speaker 3: I don't think so either. In fact, I being newly retired Wow, I didn't realize that I got done as much as I did, because now that I'm retired, there's a lot of stuff that I'm still doing, and it doesn't involve work, work, work.
Speaker 2: Does that make sense? The days just go by so quickly and the weeks go by so quickly. I'm starting to sound like a really old person saying that, but it's the truth. They really do.
Speaker 1: I'm not retired yet, but everybody I hear this retired like you and KC talk about how busy they are and how they don't have time for anything. So I can't imagine we also could embrace our oldness. Has anybody seen the old gaze on TikTok? Yes, what do you think?
Speaker 3: I like those guys. They speak a lot of truth.
Speaker 1: They do speak to me. It's so great. The old muscle guy and the sort of effeminate one, they're just really great. They just show a particular generation and it's now enjoying the good life and they're making the most of their age.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 1: KC. Now that you're retired, what do you think is the best part? The?
Speaker 2: best part of it? Well, the best part of it is not having to get up at a particular time and get ready on a regimen and be somewhere at a certain particular time. I enjoy that a lot. Now, do I still get up? Yeah, do I still get up? Am I still kind of regimented? Yeah, I am, but it's different, it feels good. It's in a way that feels good, I like it and I'm doing what I want to do. I'm not doing it because I'm at the mercy of somebody else wanting me to do it.
Speaker 1: Ron, do you have the same sort of viewpoint?
Speaker 3: For the most part. Yeah, I mean, I still get up between 4.30 to 6. Oh man, I slept in this morning, 6.30. I was surprised, but then again we didn't go to bed till midnight. Why? Because we could. Why not? Who cares? No alarm, but yeah, doing things that you want to do and not being told you have to do. Now, on a sidetrack with that, my mother is a snowbird. She lives in Chicagoland during the summer. She lives down here in her own place in the winter. Sometimes that, yeah, it gets in. That's the duty of a son, a good son, to take care of his mom. Oh, yeah, absolutely. Sometimes that could be a real pain in the ass.
Speaker 1: But one of the things that I want to know. Honestly, if you stayed up till 12 last night, did you get a nap in first?
Speaker 3: No, no nap yesterday. I have been taking naps, but not yesterday no.
Speaker 1: See when Casey was being so serious about what he liked about retirement. The only thing I could think of was napping.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would take a nap too and then stay up till 12. That would be me.
Speaker 1: I love the nap at Golden Hour and I don't know. Do you know what Golden Hour is?
Speaker 3: It's like just before sunset, correct?
Speaker 1: Right, it's the time when they used to do all the, when they used to photograph cars and people for advertisements in magazines and things like that. The light is very flattering and soft and warm, and so they would choose Golden Hour for a lot of their shoots. Yeah, that's my favorite time for a nap.
Speaker 2: I take pictures of flowers, then how you want me to sound really gay right now. That's what I take pictures of my flowers. Are you a ho-ho? Sexualized? Yeah?
Speaker 3: ho-ho-ho. So the Golden Hour that's sort of straddling, like the martini cocktail, and then you have your early dinner and it's just before sunset, so it's straddling that period.
Speaker 1: Yes, it is doing that, and it also is just prior to the Golden Shower that I take before I go to bed.
Speaker 3: Really, what did you have to drink this morning? Those mimosas. Oh, I'm hitting my phone right now because if I don't touch it the chat room goes to sleep. Oh, you lose the chat room. Then when I do watch the chat room, I can't go in the bathroom.
Speaker 2: Well, I can't watch it because I know I'll get too distracted. So we're counting on you to do it, I guess. If we need to know anything important, oh, good lord.
Speaker 3: Until next time, remember be good. Dick Fadding prefers a nap right after his shower.
Speaker 1: Which one? That would be debatable, with shower. But he didn't say Golden.
Speaker 3: Shower so.
Speaker 2: I think if we said something that we really like about being retired and being this age, then we should say something, not something bad, but something more crazy or ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what's the crazy unexpected thing about this age?
Speaker 3: I will tell you that when I retired, I thought that I would hear from coworkers and people that worked under me, my staff. I thought I'd hear from them a whole lot more. I don't hear anything. So that's what we say we're going to do. Yeah, but I mean, there's one guy that we talk maybe every six months, but no, it's pretty quiet.
Speaker 1: It's really hard. I think our lives revolve around our day-to-day activities and if someone or something is not in our day-to-day activities anymore, I think it's easy to sort of let it go.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's true Out of sight, out of mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the craziest part for me is I remember older people, grandparents, my parents saying things you know that you wait and see, you know the days are going to go fast, or you know all those things that they would say. And that's the crazy part to me is that they were right. And now I say those same things that I thought I would never say. I say the same thing.
Speaker 1: Well, the crazy part to me is that I thought I would never be this old number one and number two. I thought being 66 would be really, really old and I didn't realize that at 66, my brain still thinks I'm 12 or 20 or 40. I mean, it's, and that's the brain in which head it depends which head's doing the thinking. But I think what's funny is your body sort of moves forward and in your mind you're somehow younger and then you're kind of forced to deal with the reality of that. But hey, one of the things I really like is when I talk to a stranger, like somebody you know I'm asking for help at Trader Joe's, or there's a younger person who just cut in line in front of me at the grocery store or something, and I say something. They listen. They don't think I'm like some kid, they're like, oh, the old guy just yelled at me.
Speaker 3: So if there's some hot guy in the produce area and you hold up a cucumber and say you know what I could do with this, Make a lovely salad, a tossed salad, a tossed salad. There you go, a tossed salad.
Speaker 1: Well, depends who it is. You know, there are definitely some guys that like older guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's sort of the authority that you get as you age, but I know what you're talking about. I get it. I get it yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true. I can tell you one thing I don't know if I've said this on the podcast before, stop me if I have but when I was teaching and I was young people they, you know, really loved me, and even though I was way older than them it's an interesting concept when you're a teacher, as every year you get a year older and a year older, but your kids stay the same age, so you kind of do feel that gap. But when they're your kids, that you know love you and respect you, I mean it's just an awesome thing. And then so I didn't really have that invisible feeling like people talk about, you know, when they're getting older. But now that I'm not teaching anymore and I'm starting to feel that a little bit like I'm kind of a little more invisible than I used to be, Well, one of the things that I really love in relation to younger people.
Speaker 1: I work with two younger guys. There are ones 28 and ones 30. And I love telling them something, or teaching them something that they don't know or that's new to them. And I just bet you do, I do, and they'll put all you know. They'll put music on during the day while they're working and you know a cover of some song will come on and I'll go do you guys know the original version of that? And they're like what do you mean? Isn't this the original version? And I'd say no, the original version came out in the early 70s and it was by blah blah blah. And one of those guys will actually, you know, play it on the speaker at work and go oh my God, I never heard that before. That's a really good version. And you know it brings up that topic about whether a cover is better or not. I think one of the good things about a cover on music is that it at least allows you to revisit an older version and it brings that song into the future. Yes, if it was never re-recorded, you'd never have it brought to the future again, and so that's really fun to show these guys old music and that they like as new music, but didn't know it existed before their lifespan.
Speaker 2: Now, typically, do you like a cover or a different version, or do you more often like the original or just varies?
Speaker 1: I usually don't like the cover, but there's a few lately that have sort of you know I kind of like I think they're pretty good. Just depends, yeah.
Speaker 3: What do you think about? Like the reimagined songs like Dua Lipa and Melton John Cold, Cold Heart. Does that ring a bell for you? I?
Speaker 2: love it. My husband loves that song.
Speaker 3: I do too. Who would ever thought that you could do something like that? And it turned out so nice. And I'm blanking on some of the other songs I've heard that have done similar things, but that one just stood out and it's like wow, somebody was really being creative.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one of the things I really love about that is the fact that it's two generations brought together in a cover. And I think that's really great. Melton John, as old as he is, is still right there, right, participating with a whole different generation and sharing his music and sharing their music. I think that's exciting.
Speaker 2: I would say that's smart on his part as well. Absolutely.
Speaker 1: I don't know if we lost Ron for a moment, but hopefully he'll be back. And KC, what oh, are you still here? I'm still here. I can't see you.
Speaker 2: His picture was gone for a while, but now he's back, but on your glasses he's there. What?
Speaker 1: was that? What was that song from Tommy the Rock Opera? Something? Can you See Me? Can you hear me? Anyway, memories, uh-oh, leave my mind so easily. So what does anybody have? Anything that they remember specifically about the 50s or not the 50s? We were born in the 50s, jesus. Anything about the 60s or 70s that we remember growing up, that we really love, that either we miss or don't miss, or glad that it's gone, or anything like that. What do I miss?
Speaker 2: Hmm, hmm, I think maybe I could miss the, maybe the calmness. The world seemed a little calmer then.
Speaker 1: I would say I miss five cent popsicles. My mom would give us a nickel each and we'd walk to the corner store and get popsicles in the middle of the summer. We didn't have air conditioning, it was hotter than hell and the humidity was awful. And we go get a double popsicle with two sticks that you could break in half and eat that popsicle in the hot weather and I just love that and I haven't done that in years.
Speaker 2: I don't even know if you can do that. I was going to say Dine Star candy but I thought maybe that wasn't a good answer, but I'm glad you said that. My grandma made popsicles and I have the recipe if you want it. What keeps them from getting icy? I think jello is probably what keeps them from getting icy. Oh, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: That makes sense, Ron. Do you have anything that you remember from?
Speaker 3: back then. The only thing I can think is some of my grandmother's cooking. She was raised German. Well, she was German, and some of the dishes that she made I miss. Now there was one special thing that she would make, called current duck, and she would only do that on special holidays or birthdays and I thought, well, that's something that I'll never make, I'll never learn how to make and I'll never see it in a restaurant. And one evening this has been many years ago went into a German restaurant in St Pete Beach and they had current duck on the menu and it's like oh, I've got it. I'm sure it's not going to be the same, but that's going to be, it'll be nice, it'll be nice remembrance. And I took the first fork full and I thought, oh my God, I just got teary eyed because it was my grandmother's recipe. Yeah, what? Oh, you're kidding. Unfortunately, that restaurant is closed. Do you have that recipe? No, no, current. Current, I should explain, is a berry, like a raspberry, or it comes off a current bush. They are red and if you eat too many of them, you are going to be sitting for a while. We'll just put it that way the current, you can can it or preserve, turn it into a preserve, and then somehow you smear it on the duck and you bake it and it's the skin is so nice and crispy, and just the flavor of the duck and that sauce. That's what I miss.
Speaker 2: I love it. Duck is very polarizing, I think, because it's a greasier kind of meat and either you like it or you don't like it. Some people like greasy meat and some people don't like greasy meat. Just let me say that.
Speaker 1: I never had duck because my mother didn't like it, so she never fixed it. Food is definitely one of the great memories. Did anybody here dial all seven numbers when they tried to call a neighbor on their phone when they were kids?
Speaker 2: No, all seven numbers.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, like now we have to dial an area code and then three numbers and then four numbers. Okay, so we dialed it for 10 digit number for somebody. Okay, math is hard, okay, and I grew up we dialed five. We dialed the last number of the first three and then the four after that and that was it. Okay, I get you. And we dialed it because it went around in a circle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, growing up on the farm, our next door neighbors were about a quarter of a mile away, and not only were they in a different prefix, but they were in a different area code. The line went right through our fence line, so we had to dial all nine. Is that nine? God, math is hard Ten numbers in order to reach our neighbors.
Speaker 1: Well, I grew up in a little teeny town and you could ride from one end to the other on your bicycle and in fact we oftentimes did. Our parents would say see you later. We'd get on our bikes and we'd show up just in time for dinner and we would have been in the woods catching frogs and getting chiggers on our ankles and ticks on our head and ticks all over the place and our parents didn't worry at all. We were just having a grand old time. It was pretty wonderful. The ticks were wonderful.
Speaker 2: Riding around without any supervision was certainly wonderful. Oh, yes, yeah, we did that too. We had to run to the farm, we were everywhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think we had seat belts until I was eight or 10 years old.
Speaker 2: No, my dad took a corner too sharp on his 57 Ford Custom 500 and the passenger door flew open and my brother flew out and went rolling down the gravel road. No way You're kidding, I'm not kidding, true story. Did he get hurt? No, he was fine, thank goodness. You know back then just rub some dirt on it and you'll be okay.
Speaker 1: Did anybody have a TV, dinners and aluminum pans? Oh yes, ron. What's your memory of that Delicious right?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, those were gross. I could tolerate the Salisbury steak. The fried chicken always felt a bit off and the mashed potatoes would come out in one big glob. It seemed like they always served peas or peas and carrots, yeah.
Speaker 1: And the peas were horrible.
Speaker 2: That's right. Yeah, they were bad, but I still liked the TV dinner. I guess maybe because it was a new thing and the carrots were diced too small. They were such little teeny pieces.
Speaker 1: I think being able to sit in front of the TV and have dinner was like a treat for me. That was like a special evening Right, that was part of it.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, no, no, no. You always ate dinner at the dinner table. There was no sitting in front of the TV back then. Oh we, we had a dinner after dinner.
Speaker 2: Well, because of my dad. He loved the TV and he was one of the first adopters of satellite dish. He had that great, big giant one in the yard that he could turn to different satellites and watch TV we didn't have cable or satellite.
Speaker 3: We had a 100-foot antenna that was attached to our two-story farmhouse and you'd be lucky to get in Indianapolis Television. It was about 88 miles away. Also, on nights when there would be thunderstorms or a front was moving through or something weird. Yeah, let's go back to the checkerboard and play games.
Speaker 1: Yep, same for us. We had a black and white TV and it had rabbit ears on it and it did not always pick up a signal.
Speaker 2: Right. Being on the farm, I would say like learning how to play cards. I learned how to play cards playing with my parents and grandparents because out on the farm we weren't interacting with other people so much outside of our family, so we did that as a family.
Speaker 1: When you were playing your cards, KC, was there any music in the background?
Speaker 2: I'm sorry there must be a delay. Yeah, ron, you're a little behind us. I'm not sure what's happened, but yeah, it's weird. You have gotten a little behind.
Speaker 3: I don't have a little behind. No, I was going to the chat room, variable Virgo. Going back to the TV dinners, there was the one thing I forgot the apple pie. Yeah, you know, it was like that filling, yes, that doughy thing, and then they dumped some sort of pie filling in there. That was yeah, yes.
Speaker 2: The best part. I thought it was delicious, but I was a fat kid so I guess I probably would have thought it was delicious. I ate all of it.
Speaker 1: Well, when you're playing cards and doing non-TV stuff, did anybody have music going? Was your family music people?
Speaker 2: Yes, mine was. Well, mine was in a band. I've talked about it before.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's right, Ron, did you have music?
Speaker 3: in your life. I'm trying to think I grew up with music, but when it came to family and music, I'm going to have to say a hard no but no. When I was in my preteens, I discovered the joy of music and listening to the radio and collecting records. What was the first album you guys bought Album, do you remember? Album like 12-inch?
Speaker 2: Something, elton John, I'm sure.
Speaker 1: My first record was a 45. We went to the record store and picked through the bins and couldn't find it, so they had to special order it, and it was Somewhere Over the Rainbow, by Judy Garland oh wow, my first album was the fifth dimension and it was the one that had Aquarius Let the Sun Shine In.
Speaker 3: Yes, Well, there were a bunch of hits off of that album, but that was my first. Yeah, that was good.
Speaker 1: I love that music. My first album was actually by Peter Paul and Mary, and the only reason that it was purchased was because I liked the song Puff the Magic Dragon.
Speaker 2: I remember convincing my mother to buy me this was a little later but I was still at home but I convinced my mother to buy me Dirty Mind the Prince album that had the sticker on it. Remember when they put the rating sticker? Wasn't that a Nancy Reagan thing when she wanted those stickers on the albums? Yes, well, I had to do a little talking, but since my family was musical or whatever, I'm probably lucky my mom was a little more inclined to buy me something like that. But she did buy me that album, that Prince album. He was almost naked on the cover of the album. I think he just sat on little black bikini underwear or something.
Speaker 1: So your mom must have been pretty forward thinking then.
Speaker 2: Yes, when they were in the band. I just remember that guys, my friends and stuff saying that's your mom. I would be embarrassed at that point because she'd have on Nancy Sinatra Gogo Boots and a mini skirt and some long Loretta Lynn wig all this layered wig. That's hot, I'd be embarrassed by her. Now I look back and I think I should have appreciated that that my mom was kind of cool actually.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's that funny. We're so embarrassed by our parents when we're younger. Then when we get older and we look back at them and we realize they were real people and they were operating in a real world. It's pretty amazing, right, yeah. So talking about music kind of brings us to our next thing. We kind of do this thing called the soundtrack of our life and we talk about a song that harkens back to a particular time or era, something that brings back memories, much like the food we were just talking about. That, ron said reminded him of his grandmother and was a great memory. Music does the same thing. Ron, are you ready with a song to talk about today that is special to you?
Speaker 3: Absolutely Last week or last month. When do we do these? Yeah, okay, it's last month. I talked about the last episode. We'll do that, okay. So, talking about my dear friend Daniel from junior high school and how, when he moved to Europe, that the song Daniel was special to me for that reason. So I'm going to talk about another old time friend. This one was from high school. Actually. We started working at the brand new McDonald's together at the same time and went through training and he became a dear friend that I cherish to this day. His name is Jeff. He still lives in small town Indiana and we would travel from small town Indiana to Fort Wayne to go to the record shops. We both loved music and we would go look for new stuff and just make an afternoon of it and as we're driving up, could you listen to them? Oh yeah, oh yeah. We just didn't collect them, but we listened to them. That's the whole point, isn't it? I mean in the shop.
Speaker 2: I mean in the shop. Was it a listening record?
Speaker 3: I can't remember ever doing that. No, I think that was a little. That was before my time when they had listening booths and all that. So when we were driving, the band ELO had a big monster album out called Discovery. Yeah, had a ton of hits off of that album too. Now that I think about it, there were some songs that were not hits but we still enjoyed singing along to them. But Jeff Lin's Don't Bring Me Down Great. The minute I hear that song I immediately think of my friend Jeff.
Speaker 2: Yep, that's a good one. I like it. Harley, what about you? Do you have a song for the soundtrack of our life today?
Speaker 1: Actually, I do have a song for the soundtrack of our life, and not only does it take me back to a specific moment in my history, it kind of relates to Pride 48. My favorite era of music growing up was disco. I love dancing, I loved all the disco queens and of course, donna Summer was one of the biggest disco queens. I know some people have mixed feelings about her at this point because they feel like she turned on them, but she still was a disco queen and my favorite song was Last Dance. I chose that for two reasons, like I just said One because this is the last Pride 48 and the other one because I equate it with a specific time, a specific moment in my past. I had finished my senior year at college and I was backing out of the driveway with my bicycle on a bike rack behind my car, and my sister was driving another car out of the driveway and it was just a single lane and I rammed my bicycle into the back of her car. Listening to Last Dance and I remember thinking several things. One was oh shit, I've damaged my bicycle and oh shit, I've damaged my sister's car. And I also thought this song is the end of an era, and not in a sad way. It was the summer between finishing college and getting a real job and becoming an adult. When I hear that song now, it just brings back a you know that specific moment, that era in my life, and I just like the song. So that's why I chose that.
Speaker 2: That's a good pick. I like it too. That is a good one, kc. What was your pick? Well, my pick. Today, I'm going to choose a song because of Pride 48 and this being our last live event weekend that we're gonna do, and so it's actually a double song. It's two songs that was put on an album back to back from each other. Oh wow, and it's not the original version of this song actually. Oh, it's a cover.
Speaker 3: It is a cover I know we're not all happy about that we're going back to a quarry and let the sun shine in.
Speaker 2: Yes, right, right, right, uh-huh, that I always like to. You know I like to go enormous, so I so picking two songs would be, you know, up for me. Are you actually straddling the two songs? Yeah, they are straddling the, the forward slash on my list here and the songs are never can say goodbye and reach out I'll be there, done by Gloria Gaynor and, like I said on the album I think that was about 1975, they're they're just back to back on the album, but you can go to YouTube and see a video of her in a, like red silk jumpsuit which is amazing, of course, because jumpsuits were cool in 1975 singing it and it's a good video. So I would say I'm choosing that saying never can say goodbye, because we're not gonna say goodbye to the Pride 48 people. That's right. We're just saying you know so long and see it till till next time, and then also I'm saying reach out, I'll be there. So you know, feel free to contact me anybody from Pride 48 at any time, because I'll be there, are you?
Speaker 1: saying you want to be touched, reach out yes. That's a different song. Okay, I was confusing songs there.
Speaker 2: That's Rocky Horror Picture Show. Touch a touch, a touch a touch.
Speaker 1: Are singing reach out and touch somebody's hand. Is that a different song too?
Speaker 2: Oh, that's a different song too. Oh my gosh, there's a lot of those so many touchy songs, so that's pretty good.
Speaker 1: Well, I promise that I will get the website updated with the soundtrack of our life with new music videos. Casey, you're really good at keeping the playlist on Spotify right. Yes, yeah, it's current. So how would our listeners?
Speaker 2: listen to the playlist? Well, go to our website and click on the Spotify link. I think that's the easiest.
Speaker 1: Okay, because you don't have to search for enormous or I don't know Spotify, so that's, that's beyond me, but I thought you were wanting me like to spell out the web address.
Speaker 2: I'm like no, I don't think I can do that right now wwwenormouspodcastcom. Yeah, I would say that you should reach out and touch me and let me know, and I will send you the link to the Spotify playlist.
Speaker 1: Personal link. That's fantastic. I mean, what other podcast says that Right Doesn't mean we'll do it, but what other podcast says that it's about memory.
Speaker 2: It doesn't mean we'll remember to do it. That's the truth.
Speaker 1: Speaking of memory, casey, you're, you're. You always come to me with a dad joke. Do you remember any dad joke, in particular right now? Do.
Speaker 2: I have a dad joke for you. Really, what I have today, what I thought I would do today, is a daddy joke. Oh, what's a daddy joke? Well, that's a joke that all my boys like, okay. So it's kind of a different sort of thing than a dad joke. So go ahead, we're weighted. I'm not a dad, but I'm a daddy, I'm a zaddy daddy, we're waiting with our tongues out and our breath baited. Wow, that sounds amazing. It's a double header joke here. Okay, go ahead. What do you call an advertisement for fireworks?
Speaker 1: I have no idea, ron, do you?
Speaker 3: No, I'm no.
Speaker 2: You call that a spark plug. That's good, that's that's kind of hot, okay. So then, what do you call an advertisement for a sex toy you got me? You call that a butt plug.
Speaker 1: Speaking of dad jokes, it is something that is part of our generation. I don't know why it is. Ron, do you tell dad jokes?
Speaker 3: Occasionally. I heard a good one a couple of weeks ago. Oh do tell, I kind of hurt my knee and I had to be pushed around in a wheelchair. Gary was more than happy to put me in a wheelchair. The only thing I don't like about it is he's always pushing me around and talking behind my back. That's a dad joke that is a dad joke.
Speaker 2: That's a good one.
Speaker 1: Well, dad jokes have become a thing. I don't know what we called them when we were kids, but it seems like most people of our age make these kind of stupid jokes. But I think it's the ultimate stupid joke. It's a little flashback. I don't remember what episode it was numbered, but for a while there we were doing something called a gag. It was based on Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In, which was a TV show in the 70s. I don't know if it was in the 60s, but it went on for quite a while. There was a point where they told a whole bunch of bad jokes in succession, so I'd like to play our version of that.
Speaker 2: Hey, kc, tell me a story. Okay, so this girl with a peg leg goes to her high school days.
Speaker 1: Is that it?
Speaker 2: That's it. That's a whole joke. Yay, a girl with a peg leg goes to her high school days.
Speaker 1: This is a guy's you tickled. Hey, kc, tell me a story, okay.
Speaker 2: Sure, no, something stuck in my throat. So a girl with a peg leg goes to her high school days Play the closing music. It's not happening today. So there was this girl with a peg leg and she goes to her high school dance and she slowly is walking around and she's so sad that nobody wants to dance with her. And right before she's about to leave the dance, a boy with a wooden eye walks up to her and asks her to dance. He asked her to dance and she said would I?
Speaker 1: Would I? Boy snaps back.
Speaker 2: Peg leg. Peg leg, that is so bad. Well, there you have it.
Speaker 1: A really terrible terrible, dadger.
Speaker 2: You know I like that music, though. I can picture those dancers on the boxes. You know, with the they're coming in. Oh, a lot of dad jokes are coming in. Awesome, yeah, would you like to hear some of these? Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, matt from Chubb's Gone Wild and the Big Gay Sex Show, which I started listening to, that show in the. What was it called the Big Gay Sex Show, pre-pubescent Years? Yeah, before the daddy. He said being lovesick sounds better than saying you have gonorrhea. Oh no, that's a good one. Okay, I love their show, by the way. Oh, I do too, mr Mike's 1972. What do you call a fish wearing a bow tie?
Speaker 1: Have no idea, so fish-dicated.
Speaker 2: You've got to wrap your lips around that. One properly show fish-dicated.
Speaker 1: That's a Casey joke for sure.
Speaker 2: Thanks guys. Yeah, thanks for the jokes. We'll probably steal them and use them for a future show.
Speaker 1: Sometimes we do this thing behind the curtain and I'm going to do a behind the curtain for that little gag that we just played. Okay, that joke, or any of the gags that we did, took us between an hour and a half to two hours to record.
Speaker 2: That's true, longer. I mean, we spent hours just to get like two minutes that we would put out there. That's why we stopped doing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think the jokes are less than two minutes. In order to get something that was authentic, we told joke after joke after joke after joke. The funniest ones were the ones that I didn't get, or something that Casey couldn't tell.
Speaker 2: When I would get a blank stare. That's what would start cracking me up.
Speaker 1: When I call gag number 10 an episode, it was an episode that we worked for.
Speaker 2: That's a behind the curtains too, because we didn't get into it. But Harley and I had a discussion at one point and I said you can't call those that. You did a little two minute reels that we put out there. That's not an episode. I don't have those numbered in my list of episodes. He said yes, it is to an episode. I said it is not an episode, it's less than two minutes. We just throw it out there just for the fun of it. He said do you know how many hours that it took me to find the good joke and tear it down and add the music? I said all right, okay, okay.
Speaker 1: We'll call it an episode Then initially just even do it. We had some great music but it was not royalty free, so I had to find royalty free music and remix it so that it would work with our format. That took probably a while, just experimenting with that and cutting and pasting and moving things around and actually restructuring the song so that it would fit our style.
Speaker 2: We wanted it to sound like the Rowan and Martin laugh in music that they played. Between the jokes they would tell they opened little doors. It was very mod looking, with big giant flowers and whatever. There were these girl go-go dancers with mini skirts and go-go boots. They would dance when that music would play. Because that's what I picture when I hear that music. The music has to be right so you can picture that.
Speaker 1: When I picture that show and that particular segment that they did, I picture a big wall with those little doors. I think those people must have been on ladders behind those doors, something, yeah, because they were all across the whole wall. Yeah, they would go through the door and one person would stick their head out and look at somebody who was sticking their head out of another door. There was Ruth Buzzy and Goldie Hawn and Lily Tomlin Lily Tomlin, that's right. Yeah, that was a great show. Yeah, I think you can still find it on YouTube. It's there. Well, we are getting close to our hour mark. Really. We've got about seven or eight minutes left. Wow, oh good, that went fast. It went fast, didn't it? It did go fast. I want to see if any of you guys had a message, either a life lesson or some advice that you could give to a younger person, or sort of prime them and let them enjoy the aging process, because it really is pretty wonderful.
Speaker 2: Hmm, definitely. Who do you want to go first? I can go. Okay, casey, well, definitely. If I were going to tell a younger person, or if I were going to zoom back in time and talk to myself which I would love to do I would love to go back and tell that uptight teenager and young adult in their 20s to don't sweat the small stuff and don't worry about things. As they say, this too shall pass, and just enjoy yourself, enjoy the moment and have fun. That's great.
Speaker 1: I would agree, Ron. Do you have any advice you'd like to give your younger self or a younger person?
Speaker 3: Well, my younger self would have said work your butt off and buy as much Microsoft stock as you possibly could. But that horse has left the barn. So for me to give advice to a younger person, I would say invest in yourself, whether it's travel or opening a 401k, even if you put just a little in, what a difference that made in my life when I got to retirement age. Yes, but that would be the two. As Shakespeare said, to thine own self. Be true, invest in yourself, that's good.
Speaker 1: I think that's a good message and you can certainly invest in yourself in many ways and, like KC and I think I'm still a lot that way I would say that, going back, I would say take the responsibility of planning for the future, but seize every moment you can to have fun and to have a new experience and to create something that will be memories in the future. Don't be afraid, don't worry about spending too much money. Just have a really, really good time, but with a little bit of an eye for the future, because if it does come, you want to be ready for it. But yeah, that would be my advice too.
Speaker 2: I love that advice. There are so many things that I look back and I try to remember exactly how it happened, like when I went to see I don't know. I went to Red Rocks and I saw Bet Midler and of course that was before cell phones and whatever. So what you see then is what you get, and you have to commit that to memory, and it was an amazing, amazing experience and I almost wish I would have soaked it in better and remembered it better, because it was so amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't waste your time taking pictures because you won't look at them, just spend your time trying to remember the moment that you're having an incredibly fun, wonderful time.
Speaker 3: I agree. In the chat room. Bear has a good one. You are stronger than you think you are, Isn't that true? Yeah, that's really good.
Speaker 1: What is that? Oh, KC is holding a little clock up.
Speaker 2: I was just holding up my timer, that's all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's fine, we got it, kc, thank you. He's pointing out that the end is nigh.
Speaker 1: I do want to also give some great thanks to some people who worked very, very, very hard on this. Oh, KC's got another picture he's holding up. It's a very fourth grade drawing of a penis.
Speaker 2: Sorry, remember that mind. Yes, we still had our 12-year-old mind.
Speaker 1: We do, but I do want to thank Adam and Daniel. I know they put in so much work for this Part of their decision to make this the last year is it's so hard and it takes so much time away from their real life that they have. I really appreciate it. I appreciate them letting the newbies be part of it. I know it's an old group and there's a lot of old friends and I've heard Pride 48 stories, but the reality is that we're the young ones. Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: But we're still going to do something. Something's going to happen. You know what I mean. Yeah, like Harley and I are going to go to Las Vegas and we're still going to say who wants to meet us there, you know, or something, we're still doing something.
Speaker 1: That's true, something is going to happen. I also wanted to announce the next show, which I believe is KC. Do you have the name of the next show?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the next show is Stop, I Want to Get Off. Oh yeah, and that's Daddy Dave. He was from Podcubs, which I don't think has done a show in a little while, but I think we're going to hear a little update from him today, so that will be amazing.
Speaker 3: I loved listening to Podcubs and Romo and all those folks. They were great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the very last thing I'd like to say is a special thank you to Big Fatty, who has always given the best advice and the best support. He starts my day. I listen to him every day and I think he's sort of the guru of my podcasting world. So thank you, big Fatty.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Fatty, for being our athletic supporter.
Speaker 1: And on that note, I think it's probably time for the farewell bumper. Ron, do you have one last word?
Speaker 2: Word, word. Thanks for doing this with us, ron. Thanks, yeah, thank you.
Speaker 3: See you guys.
Speaker 2: Okay, bye, until next time remember to be kind and, like us, keep it enormous.
Speaker 3: Enormous, just enormous.
Speaker 1: Are you finished?
Speaker 3: Not yet. Now I'm finished.