Speaker 1: you, you, you. So a couple weeks ago we were getting ready for this podcast and we were doing our research and writing some notes and things like that. We have this great big paper pad on a wooden easel, just like 1957 or whenever they.
Speaker 2: Invented when I first started teaching, that's how I did it, mm-hmm.
Speaker 1: And before we did that, we called Kathy Bacon. We did. We had a lovely conversation with Kathy. We won't share the details because there might be some surprises in the details. For sure, right, kathy is a PIP that's what my mom used to call really good people PIP, pip. I don't know where that expression came from. If you say, oh, she's a PIP or he's a PIP, it means he's really nice, he's really cool, he's smart, he's funny, whatever, he's just a great person.
Speaker 2: Oh, all right, I I didn't know that. Yeah, nice.
Speaker 1: So Kathy was fun. Oh, and I also talked to the haunt cub by messenger. Oh, fatty had talked about a lasagna recipe that they had brought right at Fatty's right and it sounded so good. And sometimes lasagna is a little too tomato-y for me, so I'm kind of in Fatty's camp on that topic. Would you be willing to share your recipe with me? I don't plan on putting it online, I just love lasagna, and lasagna is one of three of Sarge's favorite foods. Mr Likes lasagna to very much, does he?
Speaker 2: yes.
Speaker 1: So this one Fatty, described as more of a macaroni and cheese kind of lasagna. Do you remember him talking about? yes with a little bit of tomato in it, but maybe a side of tomato sauce that you serve it with. Yes, when I asked him whether or not I could have the recipe, he said while he'll ask. So I'm assuming it's not the haunt cubs recipe. It must be bestie bills recipe. Right last evening I talked to Sarge about it and I'm gonna try to make up something Sort of like a macaroni and cheese lasagna with a little bit of bechamel but mostly cheese and then a side of tomato sauce and see how that takes nice. Yeah. So, kathy, bacon and hot cub, I feel pretty good. I've talked to two people, two people that aren't customers, so. So you had asked me Do I have any resolutions for 2024?
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: I've decided that resolutions are just a way to feel bad about yourself because you don't accomplish them. So no resolutions, but goals. Yeah, that's better, maybe, right. My number one goal is to retire.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good one. Yep, you're on your way. I know you're working on it, so you're getting there second goal Is to get more exercise. Yeah, I would like that too. Well, once you retire, maybe we can get a workout regimen going.
Speaker 1: Yeah about that and the third goal which probably should be my first goal is more spiritual. I Want to try to find that thing that connects us to each other, that we can't deny as human beings. I want to write a book that's not for 2024, but that's a retirement.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I want to do more painting, because I partly painted anything in my life and I am an art major.
Speaker 2: Do you have no supplies? I do not have the supplies because I haven't found the time for right.
Speaker 1: When you run a business, it seems like you're going 80 hours a week. No, would you say, I have any spare time. No, for anything. No, well, what's gonna happen? Is that when I stop working and I keep and I start calling you all the time to do stuff, mr Is gonna get really pissed off. Give me my husband back. I don't know, maybe he's ready for a break too, so yeah, well, he might be thankful, but I think he likes your company Generally speaking. Yes, I mean, when I see the two of you together, it's, it's pretty copacetic. Yeah, yeah, what decade was that word from? Copacetic the 80s. Yeah, is it in the dictionary or is it made up? Word.
Speaker 2: I don't even know if it's in the dictionary. Oh, thank you.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much. I have to thank mr. He just poked his head into the studio and brought me my favorite hot beverage.
Speaker 2: Be careful, it might be really hot. It's was boiling. What is it? Is that green tea? No, it's hot water.
Speaker 1: Little quick tangent. When I was 16, I spent the summer in Wisconsin working at a KOA campground and I stayed with my neighbor's parents. They were a really sweet elderly couple that had a house on a lake there's a million of them in northern Wisconsin and for lunch every day I'd leave the KOA campground and I have lunch with them, and I don't know if this is something when you get old that every single day they had the same lunch and their lunch was cottage cheese, sliced cheddar cheese or Colby Jack, some kind of Mixed like light and dark cheese. Yes orange and white cheese, yes, and they would have Maybe some fresh fruit and some nuts or something like that. Usually not not any bread, and they always had a hot beverage, and their hot beverage of choice was hot water, and I used to think that was so strange, but during that summer I started drinking hot water as a beverage. It's awesome, hmm. It helps your food digest. It makes you feel warm and relaxed. I just love it. So ever since I've, hot water has always been an option for me.
Speaker 2: Hmm, I don't do hot water, but I occasionally will have tea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, tea is good tea. So, casey, what are your resolutions or your goals for 2024?
Speaker 2: Well, I don't like really resolutions anymore either, just kind of like trying to stay on track, and I I think it's just to be self-aware and Cognizant of being kind to myself. I Always try to be kind with other people and sometimes overly that, sometimes my Midwestern sensibility. I make my own feelings hurt in an effort to not hurt someone else's or not be kind, right, and so I think it's time that I make sure that I'm treating myself properly.
Speaker 1: I think that's right. I heard a a book review and it was a woman who was talking about self-care and, unlike the lemon-sanded candles and the massages and the hot baths and all that kind of stuff, the self-care was about making decisions. And Part of the decisions that you make are to say no, right, to stop over committing, right, to stop filling your schedule full of everything Because you think a friend asks you something. You're gonna say yes and it makes them feel better. Well, if you don't want to help them move, or if you don't want to help them build a 6,000 pound gazebo, then you know, graciously, say no. You don't have to hurt their feelings. You can make up a white lie if you want. That's kind, but I think I'm gonna. That's one of my things this year is to say no. Yeah, that's a good one. It's hard to do yeah, and all those little decisions we make Add up and make our lives complicated right.
Speaker 2: It's true. Yeah, it can be juggling too many things, yeah so that's, that's me. So I'm gonna try to settle down, but I like to be kind to yourself if you get too many balls in the air, you know gonna start dropping some of them. Be cognizant of juggling an appropriate amount of balls.
Speaker 1: I do have another goal for 2024.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna buy a new Apple watch.
Speaker 2: You are.
Speaker 1: The Apple watch that I currently have is the first generation. It's five or six years old me too and the coverage has popped off. Oh yeah, it's starting this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what it looks like the battery. Mine did that after just a couple years on that generation one.
Speaker 1: I've had that for five years I think, but I've taken good care of it. I don't use it that much. Recently I've used it because I wanted to get into fatty's ring. Closing routine.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I've started exercising more and I feel good when I do Good things. Yeah, I always get my standing ring. I oftentimes get my walking ring. Rarely Do I get my chosen exercise ring. Hmm the breathing app on the Apple watch. It's really great.
Speaker 2: I remember using it. The problem is I you know, when I stopped working, I just really stopped wearing of the watch.
Speaker 1: Do you think a minute is a? It's a long amount of time.
Speaker 2: It depends on if you're trying to make it go by, if you're waiting for it to pass. Yes, a minute is can be a long time.
Speaker 1: If you, if you're just not Planning on it, then a minute is nothing if you're at the end of your workout on the treadmill, you're running really, really fast. You've got one minute left and you can barely catch your breath.
Speaker 2: That's a long time, eternity right.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the way it feels with the breathing app. So it's just a minute, but it vibrates a little. You look at it. If you want to click yes, you can start a breathing thing, and it says focus on your breath. I don't know, that's like five or ten seconds and then it vibrates a little bit and you inhale on the vibration and Then you exhale at the same speed when it's not vibrating. Hmm, and you inhale and you exhale and that minute you feel like it will never end right, and when you finish you feel like a new person. Huh, it's remarkable.
Speaker 2: I need to get back to it.
Speaker 1: That is worth the cost of an Apple watch.
Speaker 2: It seems like it's somehow mentally good for your mental disposition to not just your physical feeling.
Speaker 1: Oh, I get less cranked at work, I don't get angry as much. 2024 doesn't seem like a big year, but it seems for me like a year of a lot of changes, a lot of Readapting to a new life.
Speaker 2: Sure, and that'll happen. Yeah, if you do retire and start staying home, it's things will be different.
Speaker 1: So do you think the Faye driver Would give me tips when I get ready to pull the radiator out of my 1937 Hudson Terraplane?
Speaker 2: Yep, you better just buy him a ticket and fly him down here to help you work on that.
Speaker 1: Oh, that would be great we could fly him down to Denver for the weekend. Yeah he could stay with you. You have a guest room.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He could give some tips on what to do to this car, to get it and go check.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good idea.
Speaker 1: We're going to do something a little different this episode.
Speaker 2: I thought that we'd do something we've done further into the podcast. Before us have a little gadget talk, and I thought we would do that first for January, and then I thought after that, instead of just having the soundtrack of our life, we'd have a little bit more of an extended music conversation, Sure.
Speaker 1: So the last episode. We reviewed Cher's Christmas album and we enjoyed it so much learning about the songs where they originated, who was singing them with her, and we just love the album, I mean we're gay and we just love Cher.
Speaker 2: I heart Cher.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that was the last one and after that episode we actually got a. Was it a text message? What was it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was an Instagram message, I believe.
Speaker 1: Instagram okay.
Speaker 2: And it was from Drake Jensen.
Speaker 1: He's a country singer out of Canada, a gay country singer yeah, a gay country singer and he's fabulous and he's handsome.
Speaker 2: I'm sure that Faye Driver knows him. I mean, obviously, if they're both gay and both Canadian, then for real they know each other. See, yeah, that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: They're probably best friends. That's what I'm saying. And Anne Murray is still his aunt and they know her. They know her too, yeah.
Speaker 2: They know her too. Yeah, they know her too. So, anyway, he was talking about us doing some more music that related to LGBTQ plus folks, and so we're looking at that for the near future.
Speaker 1: He must have listened to our episodes.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that sounds fun. If anybody likes that idea, would you let us know, because we love the idea. We don't know if enough of our listeners would like to hear about gay musical artists. I mean, there's a bunch of people. I mean old people like Andy Bell and George Michael Barry Manilow, new people like Janelle Monnet, dixon, dallas, troy Savon, yeah.
Speaker 2: Savon, troy.
Speaker 1: Savon, I mean there's all kinds of people. So let us know and we might try that yeah.
Speaker 2: I think it'll be a good one. We'll make a good episode.
Speaker 1: But this episode is going to be two part and the first part you said was gadgets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, gadgets, because when you came over, I showed you a gadget I had recently gotten and installed, so to wow you and surprise you. I loved it and so that was an interesting one. Do you think you could describe it for for an audio medium?
Speaker 1: It's enormous, it's hard, it's big and long. It is long. Oh, it is the coolest thing. It is a let's see, how would I describe it, if anybody can remember a shower curtain that has a spring in it? Attention, it's like a tension shower curtain type thing, except it's beautiful chrome with a very stylized look and at one end is a sort of a rain shower head and then at the other end is a hose that, I guess, hooks up into your plumbing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you connect to your plumbing and your other shower.
Speaker 1: If you and Mr walked into the shower and decided to take a shower together, you could both take a shower. Have separate shower heads, get washed twice as fast with less water and have some fun while you're in there Because it puts shower heads on either end of the shower. It is so cool, I want one. I want to design my new bathroom in the main bedroom. Oh yeah, with a thing like that.
Speaker 2: Right, right, it is pretty cool actually. Yep, it works, so that was fun actually.
Speaker 1: So, as usual, after we finished our recording session, I walked KC to his Jeep, cecil, and he stuck his key in Nothing, not even a nothing. It was just dead right, right. And I said wait. He said can you jump me?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I said do we need jumper cables? No, seriously, I said I have a battery that I bought at Costco. It's this little thing it's about the size of a very small fruitcake from Christmas, right, and it can charge a car and I've used it three times now, twice before KC, and it's worked both times perfectly, like a charm, and after you get done charging your car, it's lightweight, it's small, you don't need jumper cables and you just charge it overnight and it'll last for another six months with a charge in it. I brought it out to charge KC's Jeep Nada.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: We got a little, and that was it.
Speaker 2: I don't even know why, but it just ate up that juice, right away.
Speaker 1: So what happened? You got, you left your lights on or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, when you open the doors and if you have the key in and then your vehicle dings or rings or you know that sort of thing, Well, they Disconnected that reminder. Yeah, I disconnected it because you're going to do that sometimes on a Jeep. Anyway, you're going to pull that because you might drive around with the doors off of it. Oh right, so you can't be driving around with the doors off of it with a dinging the whole time.
Speaker 1: Why don't you disconnect it when you take the doors off?
Speaker 2: When only you mean, and not disconnect it now. Yeah, you're over 60.
Speaker 1: Come on.
Speaker 2: Well, I was, since I was working in it that day and it kept dinging, you know, it just seemed like a good day to pull that fuse right, you know and so, oh, that makes sense, yeah. So I thought, oh, maybe I'd like, maybe I'm just going to leave this fuse pulled you know, I kind of like it without it making all that noise. Well, the problem was then when I got to your house last week in the morning and I did stop the car and it didn't ding, but the lights were still on apparently, and it didn't let me know that because I had pulled that fuse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so how does Aunt Clara sound A bit? Yeah, that was, that was Casey. So my battery pack. He used up the whole thing. His battery must have been really dead. It started right away. It's in great mechanical condition but it wouldn't idle.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: So I said, why don't we just sit in your Jeep and you can keep your foot on the gas so that the battery charges and you can give me a tour of the inside of your Jeep?
Speaker 2: We had to have a little charge in the battery just for it to stay running. It just was so dead.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just wouldn't even stay running and Casey really wanted me to see the inside of that car because it was so showroom cleaner, it's cleaner.
Speaker 2: And maybe the cleanest it's ever been.
Speaker 1: The battery had a little piece of masking tape on it that said it said 2013 on it.
Speaker 2: Because I mark my stuff. I mean I do that much, that's smart. I did put, yeah, I did. They driver, you're listening.
Speaker 1: That is a really good thing.
Speaker 2: to mark the day that you install it, I put a piece of little duct tape on there and had written on it with the permanent marker of the date that I installed the battery, which I thought was just a couple of years ago. Imagine my surprise to find out it was 10 years ago.
Speaker 1: 10 years is a long time to have a battery in Colorado because it gets very, very hot in the summer, the sun is very strong and it gets cold in the winter, so it puts a lot of stress on the battery.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that one I think it's, you know, because the because that vehicle I don't drive it all the time, which is kind of worse when the battery just sits there and doesn't get, you know, charged or whatever. It's just kind of constantly draining a little.
Speaker 1: Right, we sat in this car and I got a tour of his car and I said what's this? What's this, what's this? It's a Christmas tree on his dashboard that was about four or five inches tall, that had LED lights on it and that was plugged into that gadget he just explained. And then he had a disco ball hanging with lights. And then he had a never lost system, a Garmin, something or other Right Like a Magellan or whatever A Magellan something like that and then what else do you have like that?
Speaker 2: Well, that was a serious satellite radio serious satellite radio.
Speaker 1: And so he went down the dashboard and everything. He showed me everything in his Jeep. He eventually drove off about 15 or 20 minutes later 30 minutes, it was a while Because I was not comfortable with you driving all the way back to the Tiki lounge.
Speaker 2: I was kind of sweating it. Well, nowadays, with traffic heavy again and stuff, it takes about an hour to get between my house and your house. It's crazy. Yeah, I didn't used to, but it does.
Speaker 1: now it's getting from downtown to a suburb. That's what it takes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so at every light I was sliding it into neutral and kind of giving a little extra gas so it wouldn't die on me. I made it home. And while we're on vehicle talk and gadget talk at the same time, let's talk about my next purchase, shall we? Did you get a new car?
Speaker 1: No, did Mr get a new car?
Speaker 2: No, his car's already new. It's fairly new.
Speaker 1: I get my new rivet.
Speaker 2: Yeah Well, you better get you one of those. What are they?
Speaker 1: Only $7,500,000, I guess, yeah Well, I'm thinking now either between a Volkswagen Atlas, I think it's called, or a Chevy Traverse, oh nice.
Speaker 2: No a.
Speaker 1: Traverse 10 or 15 years ago just looked like a nothing. It looks like a small Tahoe now. It's beautiful, it's sporty, it's kind of a cross between a Tahoe and a Malibu.
Speaker 2: You know what's real pretty but probably expensive. That you should look at, though, is the Subaru Outback Wilderness.
Speaker 1: Beautiful To Birkenstock.
Speaker 2: No, look at it, it's not.
Speaker 1: It's really not, are they getting?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you, look at one, they're beautiful. No-transcript. Well, as you know, Mr has a fairly new car. It's a 2022. And it's a Chevy right, it's a Chevy Trailblazer Made in Detroit. Well, parts as parts, you know, the engine is a three cylinder. That's just wrong. That was yeah. Three is a weird number, isn't it? That was assembled in Mexico.
Speaker 1: Well, it sounds like that. What was the commercial way? It sounds like that Mazda commercial from the 70s. Remember the advertising?
Speaker 2: campaign. I don't remember that.
Speaker 1: They tested a rotary. Was it a Wanko?
Speaker 2: engine.
Speaker 1: There's a rotary engine that's different.
Speaker 2: They have us out.
Speaker 1: Was it a Wanko engine? I don't know.
Speaker 2: Was it a Wanko? Engine A Wanko?
Speaker 1: Anyway, it didn't have pistons in it, but you have pistons, but only four, three, three Yep.
Speaker 2: So we got that car and have had good luck with it and took it in recently and this was the first time we took it in to get the oil change not to get the oil change We've had that done, but the first time that it was the time to get the oil change and have the tires rotated. And when we went to get it back, they informed us the dealership, which is clear across town and takes more than an hour to get there, of course of course, so that's a.
Speaker 1: thing.
Speaker 2: But anyway, when we went to get it, we were informed that we were sort of dismissed and informed that, sorry, we couldn't rotate the tires because we can't find the wheel lock.
Speaker 1: What's the deal with that? Did somebody steal?
Speaker 2: it. Well, I don't know what the problem is there, but it's becoming an ever-increasing problem. I've found out since doing all this research, since talking to other dealerships, since going around to tire stores and talking to these guys. You get funny different stories everywhere you go about people not being able to get the tires off of their car because their wheel lock key is missing. So one of your lug nuts, one of your wheel nuts, on each tire is a locking one that has a special kind. There's some different ways they work.
Speaker 1: Basically some kind of wiggly line. Yeah, it can be a wiggly line or a funny shape.
Speaker 2: some of them are shapes and there's some different iterations of how to make a locking lug nut, but it's strong.
Speaker 1: It works in an air hammer. Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: And kind of you'd think of this. Ours was sort of the wiggly line kind of thing carved in and then of course the key that went on there, kind of like a socket.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like my Jeep. Yeah, Same. Thing.
Speaker 2: Like a socket that goes on a socket wrench and of course that key was missing. Well, we Never took it out. I never took it out, I never used it. I assumed and thought that it was in the glove box the whole time, but I don't specifically remember ever looking for it or thinking about it much when we bought the vehicle Just was not in the forefront of my mind, this key for the lug nuts.
Speaker 1: When I bought my new Jeep it was in the glove box and I put it in the console because I was afraid it might get lost in the glove box. And then recently I put it in with the spare tire because I thought, well, you're going to need it if you're changing tires. Good, idea.
Speaker 2: That's a good place for it, so that's where I put it, so like underneath the back little hatch, yeah, underneath the little back hatch thing where my full-size spare is To tires. And they lost it.
Speaker 1: Oh, they did. Yeah, they did something. They had trouble finding it. They said where's your locking thing? And I told them and they said, well, it's not there. I said, well, it was there when I dropped it off, because I checked it before I dropped it off. And so when I picked up the car this last time, after they rotated the tires, the locking lug nuts are a half an inch bigger than the ones that came with the car.
Speaker 2: So they somehow wrenched them off of there and put you different ones on there.
Speaker 1: Or they were working on two or three cars at the same time. Oh, they switched them out, they put them in a pile and they grabbed the wrong ones, and now they don't match my other lug nuts. Oh boy, I'm pissed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so we looked and looked and I mean I literally tore the car apart and looked everywhere for it and couldn't find it and was irritated about that, also irritated about the dealership where I bought the vehicle kind of dismissing me and oh sorry, we couldn't rotate the tires and not offering any solutions or resolution or saying, but for 50 bucks we'll break them off of there for you or whatever you know something's $200.
Speaker 1: I don't know. A jailbreak then yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's some kind of a resolution, but just nothing. Just here, your oils change, here's your car back, and that was that. So then I started on my journey of research to find out different things to do. And you know, if I were on the farm with my dad's welder, I could have welded a little piece of metal on there and got each one of them off that way or something. And different people had different. Some people said take a slightly oversized socket from your socket set and just take a hammer and pound it on there, sort of break it. Yeah, then you can use your socket to get it off, but you might have to buy more sockets because they're going to get stuck on there when you pound them on there. So that didn't sound real great.
Speaker 1: You could use a grinder and grind it off.
Speaker 2: Try to grind it off and try not to damage your wheels, but these are really seated in deeply to the wheel, so you couldn't really get to them either very well. So in my research I finally found a couple different guys on YouTube. Of course that had different recommendations and one said you know they are starting to make kits now to take them off. So I started looking at those.
Speaker 1: You make a mold or something.
Speaker 2: And figuring yeah, kind of started looking at those and figuring out what different kinds, what one should I pick. You know, and you've heard of Harbor Freight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, harbor Freight, they're a big company I bought some dental tools from them. Dental tools from them to use in the workshop oh okay. So when I'm cleaning, like your Q-tip cleaning thing I'm trying to clean a metal part or something, I can get something very small and pointy and sharpen to it and scrape off some old oil or grease or something built up like that.
Speaker 2: So anyway, that's my next new gadget was I bought this kit to get those locking nuts off of there. Did you use it? And yesterday, here I'll show it to you. We'll do show and tell, which doesn't really work for an audio medium.
Speaker 1: It's a company called. We shan't say their name, but the first two letters are M-A. Uh-huh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so look at these things. They look like sockets from a socket wrench. It comes with four of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they look just like sockets this was $45, but look at inside there.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you can describe that or not. Describe that, okay.
Speaker 1: I need to put on my.
Speaker 2: You might have to have your zoom lenses on.
Speaker 1: Putting on my zoom lenses. You have to figure this out. Yeah, which is something you need when you get older.
Speaker 2: Let's see.
Speaker 1: Look it kind of looks like I hate to say this a biscuit cutter. Okay, it's kind of got little scallops to go around the edge. Uh-huh round dish, but it's kind of pointy or.
Speaker 2: Yeah, stick your finger in there.
Speaker 1: They're like a little bit sharp, oh yeah, and they go kind of at an angle and they go at an angle backwards at an angle Like a soft serve ice cream cone.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's what it looks like. Yeah, it looks like the uh-huh, like, if you made a mold Like a reverse soft serve, a reverse mold of soft serve ice cream swirled around. Really small.
Speaker 1: Uh-huh, really small, like the size of a lug nut.
Speaker 2: Uh-huh, and so they have this sharp edge. So you stick those in there and then you use your half inch socket wrench Right and to turn them backwards, of course, to get them off of there. Do you have an air powered socket wrench? Well, and that's the thing I have. I got a lot of opinions from people about that.
Speaker 1: You can damage your Cause.
Speaker 2: I went and just I bought lug nuts just at an auto parts place and you know, and the guy was like Cheap Chinese ones, oh I don't know. Good luck with that. He was happy to sell me four lug nuts but Were they locking lug nuts? No no, no, no, please, no. He was happy to sell me four, but pretty negative about well, I don't know if you'll be able to do that. Good luck with that. I hear those things don't work Whenever I say, okay, well, I'm gonna try it. And you know, I got my receipt. I'll be bringing you back your lug nuts if it doesn't work out. Anyway, here, what's this? Is this from your car? Yeah, that's a locking one.
Speaker 1: From Mr Scar or whoever's got this. Yeah, that's what I'm. So there's a locking lug nut, and how did this fit in there? I don't understand how it works. Well, it's oh, because this gets smaller and smaller.
Speaker 2: Those teeth just grab it as they turn backwards. So turn it this way, feel it, turn it on there and turn it, and you can feel it happening as you turn it Okay, let me feel it, yeah, stick it on there and turn it.
Speaker 1: Oh, why wouldn't a regular lug nut? Oh, because there's? No angles.
Speaker 2: Smooth, yeah, just smooth.
Speaker 1: This is brilliant so why wouldn't they get rid of locking lug nuts then?
Speaker 2: Well, because eventually now somebody can still steal your tires, because they can buy one of these kits and use it to how much does a tire cost? Well, it depends. $100 is a round figure for a. Okay, I'm gonna say $250.
Speaker 1: On my car. I think it was $250 to $300. Okay, so $300 for a tire. How much does a catalytic converter cost?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Thousands maybe.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So in my neighborhood where I live, which is in the city and it's a residential neighborhood, they're all historic old homes. People are driving up in front of your house if you park your house outside and not in the car park, park your car. Yeah, if you park your house, if you park your house on the street. If you park your car on the street and you don't park it in a garage, there are people that are going around and stealing catalytic converters.
Speaker 2: Oh boy.
Speaker 1: There must be some mineral or something in there that people want. I don't know if it's for catalytic converters or batteries, maybe Now that battery-powered cars are getting big. But they can steal a catalytic converter in less than five or 10 minutes without you even knowing. They drive up, they do something really quick and they can get that catalytic converter off your car and you're out like two or three or four or 5,000 bucks oh my gosh. But a wheel for $300, say they put a lock on Uh-huh. Isn't that crazy.
Speaker 2: And a lock, which they only make anyways, I was told, the kind that I have. They make like 200 or so of them with that particular laser cut shape, and then they move on to the next shape, then to the next shape.
Speaker 1: Now, why wouldn't the dealer have one of those kids?
Speaker 2: That's what I was saying because they were. It's on the. I have the window sticker because I'm the big saver. So I have the window sticker from that vehicle which it clearly says on there that they charged for the price of the vehicle included was $200 worth of locking one. So $50 a piece, not per each wheel, and the key of course. Yeah, and that was installed by the dealership. Dealership installed so it didn't come from the factory. That way it says on the sticker. So you'd think the dealership would have keys to be able to get into one.
Speaker 1: Well, why wouldn't they say we can get them off, but you'll need to replace them with new ones that are $25 or $50 a piece, and that's what one of the tire stores I went to, because I've been around, I've gotten myself around talking how much is that kit?
Speaker 2: So, $45.
Speaker 1: So for $45, a business that sells tires from $100 to $1,000 a piece could get off locking wheel nuts.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And yet your dealership did not have one.
Speaker 2: Well, they just didn't offer. I'd be curious. Yeah, they didn't offer. And the other thing, that kinda I'm getting into my little, this is the what's up with that episode.
Speaker 1: What's up with that? Are we getting into the old man? Why do you want to do? What's up with that?
Speaker 2: part. The other thing was after the oil change about a week I got a call from the dealership and a lady was wanting to ask me questions how was the service and whatever. So I told her I said, well, the oil change was fine and the people were nice and whatever. But they were very dismissive about rotating my tires because there was no key. And I said, if I get it, there's no key. But they didn't offer me a solution or some help or advice or anything. Just here's your car by, and so that I kind of didn't appreciate that, that I thought they could do better there. And she said I'll have Dave call you.
Speaker 1: Who's Dave?
Speaker 2: Is Dave the service manager? No, no, dave is the dealership.
Speaker 1: God they put Sarah in the tires.
Speaker 2: No, he's the dealership manager. Okay, I said great, I'd love to talk to Dave. He manages the whole thing. I said that'd be great. I would really love to have a conversation with Dave, since I bought the car from your dealership.
Speaker 1: Right, you know. You bought the car, you brought it back for service.
Speaker 2: They lost your locking wrench, even though I could go to a Chevrolet dealership on my side of town and not have to drive an hour and a half to get there. You know I'm still taking it there for stuff, so I thought they could have done better on that part. Well, dave will call you. Well, guess what? Never called me, never heard from Dave, no, and I've got them off and bought new ones and put them on myself yesterday with my gadget.
Speaker 1: My next gadget is a turntable and then a car. You still haven't told me what your new segment is about.
Speaker 2: Well, it's still. You know, this relates to our soundtrack of our life segment and that's kind of how my thought process started for this. But I just wanted to extend it a little bit into a different segment. So this is kind of a work in progress and everyone listening they can just work through it with us. How about that? Yeah, give us your suggestions. So I went shopping last week. Well, that's dangerous. I did a little shopping and I went to you and Sarge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh, my God.
Speaker 2: We do like our shopping, don't we? And I went to Sketchers Shoes and I was shoe shopping Right and oh, are those new? Yes, they're red. I bought myself a pair of shoes, and all my life I've been told and I know it's true Right From my studies that red is not my color and I can't wear red, that my complexion is too ready, and then I'm too florid and so red is not my color. So I've never owned anything red.
Speaker 1: They're red shoes, aren't they in your skin?
Speaker 2: Well, that's what I was thinking. Red shoes are great, I thought I said I can buy red shoes if I want to and they're not close to yeah my face or whatever. And so this is the first red item I've ever had.
Speaker 1: I'm so proud of you and can I tell you something very special about red shoes. What? All you have to do is click your heels three times and say there's no place like home, it's true. And you'll be home. I want to try it. Red shoes are great. They have black laces and, unlike sort of like running shoes, they don't have white bottoms.
Speaker 2: White soles, yeah, and I was kind of looking for that too not white, because so many of them have white now, and so these are kind of a grayish off white. They're kind of a canister. A grayish beige kind of neutral color.
Speaker 1: I would say it's a good AARP color, okay, perfect.
Speaker 2: Just perfect.
Speaker 1: You can buy one color of sock and these shoes will go with. Make your shoes match your socks so.
Speaker 2: I got red shoes.
Speaker 1: Love them. They're great.
Speaker 2: I love a song and then that song made me think of a person. Okay, no wait.
Speaker 1: If I put on red shoes would you? Dance with me. Perhaps that's not the song. That's not the song. I don't think. Put on your red shoes and dance the blues. Okay, that's it. Is that the one, david?
Speaker 2: Bowie, let's dance. I got it, you did. David Bowie was what I had thought of. And then I said, oh, if it's a January episode and David Bowie was born in and died in a January, oh, he was, yeah.
Speaker 1: What was his birthday?
Speaker 2: January, what? So his birthday was January 8th. Do you know the year? So it's coming out coming up real soon here. The year was 1947. Wow 47.
Speaker 1: Uh-huh, Wait 47. He's not alive now.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: He must have died young.
Speaker 2: Kind of he kind of did, and I thought about that too, because he died in 2016. Yeah, it was the 10th of January that he died in 2016. And so I thought about that and I was thinking about let's dance, put on your red shoes and dance, yeah. So I thought about that and then I said did we properly think about him and celebrate him when he died in 2016? No, and I wasn't sure if we did. And then I wondered why didn't we? What else was happening in the world at that point in time that would cause us to not be thinking about him?
Speaker 1: as much as we should in 2016? What was going on in 2016?
Speaker 2: Well, there was another Afghanistan conflict.
Speaker 1: Oh, you're kidding.
Speaker 2: Another one, so that might have been one of 6,000 since the beginning of Afghanistan. So that might have been one of the issues that caused us not to celebrate him as we should, or I don't know. I'm not really sure why we didn't 1947 sounds so much older than us.
Speaker 1: I mean, 1947 sounds close to World War II, which was in 1942 through 44, something like that. What was going on in 47? I mean, it sounds like ages ago 47 would have been.
Speaker 2: Truman Was the president.
Speaker 1: Oh, harry S Truman. Yeah, if I remember my history right, truman did something about some kind of a worldwide food crisis or something.
Speaker 2: I don't know Was that?
Speaker 1: one of his big things. I think it must have been, because that's sticking in my mind. There's some kind of riot somewhere, I think Wow.
Speaker 2: Well, it was just before us so we're a little unfamiliar, but anyway, I thought we could just spend a little time talking about David Bowie. We don't have to go into great detail, but maybe a little longer of a segment than we do when we just do the soundtrack of our lives. Love it.
Speaker 1: So I've got a few questions for you. Without really thinking too hard. Do you have a favorite David Bowie song that comes right to your mind and not the red shoes one?
Speaker 2: Oh, if I think I would say Heroes probably would be my favorite one without thinking too hard about it. Do you remember any of the lyrics of Heroes? We could be Heroes. Yeah, that's all I remember, just for one day.
Speaker 1: I think it was my first year or two in college, so that would be 76, 77. In 1977, I bought my first new car.
Speaker 2: Oh, you did.
Speaker 1: Yes, I did. I was in college, I'd saved money, my father was helping me to finance the car to guarantee the loan, and I was working very hard at sort of a tabloid newspaper thing. It was part of a. It was called the Syracuse New Times and I think they're part of the big chain. I think Westward and Denver might be part of that. Publisher no-transcript and it cost $6,300.
Speaker 2: Okay, so here's the premise behind Heroes. I kind of like it. Okay. It's about the premise is about the Berlin Wall and somebody on either side of the wall, so it's almost a Romeo and Juliet kind of thing when did the Berlin Wall come down?
Speaker 1: Was that the 90s?
Speaker 2: Yeah, not till later. What year was?
Speaker 1: the song Did we just decide?
Speaker 2: Yeah, didn't we say 79 or so 79. Oh no 77. Okay.
Speaker 1: So you've got the lyrics now. You looked them up? Yeah, I did. I will be king and you.
Speaker 2: You will be queen and nothing will drive them away. We can beat them just for one day. Nice, wow, yep, optimism.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: I wish you could swim like a dolphin. The dolphins can swim. Nothing will keep us together. We can beat them forever and ever. Oh, we can be heroes just for one day. It's kind of cool.
Speaker 1: It's a great song. I remember it. I mean the name. It's really nice when you have the name of a song that is part of the lyric and you immediately can hear those notes in order, right, yeah, yeah, we can be heroes.
Speaker 2: Well, I can't hum it to you, but that melody that it starts with, I can hear it in my head, I can hear it, I can hear it.
Speaker 1: It's a little off key sounding, almost yeah right, yeah, some kind of a keyboard, probably a synthesizer keyboard kind of sounding. So that's the first song that comes to mind, Right? What's the first song you think of when you think of learning about David Bowie and he became a oh okay.
Speaker 2: Well, I think the first thing I was aware of, probably I was young. I would, I would you know, because my family was into music. I was musically cognizant. So, probably noticing things that other kids, maybe my age, wouldn't notice, but I remember somehow seeing, must have been on TV when he had the red hair, the bright red hair which he dyed his hair that screaming bright red, before anybody else was ever doing all those crazy hair colors.
Speaker 1: And I had his hair cut in high school. Oh that. I had sort of the twiggy shag look. Yeah, right, that's it.
Speaker 2: Uh-huh, that's it. That thing and Space Oddity would have been the song that I'm thinking of. And Space Oddity is cool because it kind of tells the story. You know ground controls talking to Major Tom and telling him, you know to step outside of the spaceship, and then he's talking back and saying you know that he's opening the hatch and stepping outside of the spaceship. I remember that song so well, and I thought it was bizarre. It's so bizarre. And tell you know, tell my wife, be sure to tell my wife, you know, like in case he doesn't make it back to. Earth or whatever. I love that, and just the kind of the cadence of the song is like you'd be talking I'll say like in back terms, terms from back then like you were talking on a walkie-talkie or something like that, you know it's just a special cadence.
Speaker 1: Ground control to Major Tom yeah that kind of pretty cool, so we would have been like 12 or 14. So that was a long time ago, yeah, but isn't that?
Speaker 2: that's about when, right Somewhere around there is when you're, when you start to develop yourself, your style, figure who you are, start to think about your tribe of people.
Speaker 1: I would say seventh or eighth grade. For me that was junior high school and the school system. I grew up Right and, but I say that's when we started learning about music. I mean sometime around that era I got the Beatles. What's one Abbey Road?
Speaker 2: album.
Speaker 1: So that was probably late 60s, early 70s, something like that. So do you remember any other songs from that era?
Speaker 2: I know there's well a little bit later. I know Fame Right, and that's that just where he blurs out the word Fame and then the cadence of the words after that kind of our quicker and Fame.
Speaker 1: I think that was the year we graduated, because I remember the senior prom dancing to that song.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: And I liked that song too.
Speaker 1: David Bowie was very popular in the mid to late 70s, I think.
Speaker 2: So that's why I thought we needed to kind of attribute him a little bit, because I'm sure that he had a. We heard him, we listened to him, we were aware of him. So he had a little bit of influence on us finding ourselves probably Totally.
Speaker 1: And he went through so many phases. I mean, he was sort of androgynous when he was the Ziggy Stardust character and I think he went on tour with something, some kind of spider, what was it called?
Speaker 2: There is a spider, something, but A spider from Mars. Yeah, that's probably Something like that.
Speaker 1: Either his band or his something, and he was kind of flamboyant and kind of androgynous. And nobody was doing that. I mean he was a creator.
Speaker 2: There was one interview where he said he was gay but he was also married to women, more than one woman at a different times. So he was yeah, he was kind of a head of his time, he was an artist.
Speaker 1: He was a singer, songwriter, musician. He was an artist Right. So I think artists are willing to take more chances and be less tied into traditional kind of viewpoints and roles.
Speaker 2: Sure, absolutely, and some of us. That's probably why we are attracted to them too, right?
Speaker 1: It might be why there's probably a lot of artists that are either gay or bi, and it probably has to do with that whole open minded spirit.
Speaker 2: Right and ability to be creative and try things and that sort of thing.
Speaker 1: So before he died, in you said 2016, 2015? .
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Before he died. How many records do you think he had?
Speaker 2: Sold or made records.
Speaker 1: Not that he owned.
Speaker 2: No, I meant just yeah, that he sold. How many records did he sell? I don't know. I would think probably a lot, but I don't know how many.
Speaker 1: Well, let me look this up for a second. Okay, I just found some information about his records. Okay, he sold over a hundred million records. He sold more vinyl records than any other artists in the history of music.
Speaker 2: Specifically vinyl records Vinyl yeah. Interesting.
Speaker 1: So if he had that kind of notoriety for vinyl records then and that was the 70s when did we switch to CDs? That was in the 80s, yeah, so he probably didn't have as thriving a career in the after that as he did during the late 70s or perhaps early 80s.
Speaker 2: And maybe that's why he's not acknowledged like I think that he should be. I agree, I think it's unfair. Yeah.
Speaker 1: He was in lots of movies, lots actually. Yeah, he did tons of. He did tons of songs and performances. He acted, he, I mean and he had so many different phases. Do you remember sort of about the time that we discovered him? As you know, early teenagers the sort of the glam rock thing is. Would that be defined as the pink hair or the red hair?
Speaker 2: Well, glam rock. To me, glam rock is long hair, lots of long. The guys grew their hair out and they also wore makeup, those glam rock bands.
Speaker 1: Well, that's sort of an 80s thing too, wasn't it?
Speaker 2: And dressed kind of, yeah, dressed kind of you know androgynously. The things I really remember that stick out was he could do things like he did the, he did heroes and he sang a little drummer boy with Bing Crosby on Bing Crosby's last TV Christmas special that he ever shot.
Speaker 1: That's a great video. If anybody wants to look that up, I think it's still available.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he's. You know, he's just looking normal in quotes, if you can say that wearing a suit and tie right and singing with Bing Crosby, which would be unexpected and then you can flip that to the Saturday Night Live performance he did, where he's wearing some kind of oh my God, black and white hard plastic suit and they and his backup singers pick him up and carry him to the front of the stage.
Speaker 1: He can't even walk in it For the start of the performance. It's sort of like David Burns big suit. Yeah, this is like this plastic. What did it look like?
Speaker 2: It just it was. It's black and white, kind of tuxy looking. There was stripes, I don't know, just a weird plastic Like a Russian doll Hard kind of almost Right okay, yeah, Hard plastic suit, and I remember seeing that on on cause that was what late seventies, I think.
Speaker 1: As a music performance on Saturday Night Live.
Speaker 2: And being blown away. It just blew my mind. I'm like what am I?
Speaker 1: watching. Remember the name of that? How would you, how would somebody find it, how would our listeners find it if they wanted to see this amazing video? I don't, I can't remember the name of this and the characters look like they're dressed up for Halloween. I mean, it's bizarre.
Speaker 2: Well, the female singer, or the one that looks female presenting, is in red and has red hair, so kind of kind of a throwback to his red hair in earlier years. And then the the the male or male presenting backup singer is has almost white face and is dressed in black and white and looks kind of mime-ish, huh, like a pantomime person. It's a very, it's a very interesting performance.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But what song was it?
Speaker 1: That's what I want to be able to tell you what song was that? So if the early seventies were glam rock and then I've got a little thing on my iPad right now I'm looking at mid seventies to late seventies he did Plastic Soul, which I think was the name of an album and a song. Is that possible? Thin White Duke.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: And then, by the time the seventies were over, he started his Berlin era.
Speaker 2: Do you?
Speaker 1: know anything about that. That's a mystery to me.
Speaker 2: No, I really don't. I really can't tell you what that Berlin era means too much. I think we're more in the when a little after that, when he kind of did the a little more glam and and kind of pop. What would you call?
Speaker 1: Right by the eighties. I would say he was more into a pop genre.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Maybe a new romantic kind of pop. Thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's going to be like synthesizers and keyboards and kind of that, that new sound for the time.
Speaker 1: I had an album. I don't remember what it was called, but it had the song I think it had. China Girl or China Doll. Remember that song yeah yeah, I do, when I think China was still being led by Mao Zedong. Oh yeah, and it was still red China and we were. We didn't have a political relationship with them. I think it was that era. He did a song about a Chinese girl or something, and then there was a song about putting out the fire with gasoline Right, good lyric. And then put on your red shoes and dance the blues which hit all the clubs and everybody danced to yeah, and I think that was early mid-80s.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, that was great.
Speaker 1: But then after that I think he after that he sort of disappeared from my radar.
Speaker 2: He did because we went on to other stuff. I guess we went on to other things that we were getting interested in and different kinds of music.
Speaker 1: And he got into weird stuff.
Speaker 2: He did some other things, weird things. I would almost say performance art. Maybe before we even said that was a thing to do was performance art. He was always kind of a performance artist really.
Speaker 1: I relate him a little bit to David Byrne. I think they're both incredibly talented, genius level artists that are always exploring the frontier, pushing me on the loop. But it says on the internet that David Bowie, from about 2000 to for a couple three years, had a neoclassicist era.
Speaker 2: I'd love to know what that means. I think that must have been when we had moved on, maybe yeah.
Speaker 1: And then in his final years he did a song on his 66th birthday. Where Are we Now? And then he's had all this posthumous releases, box sets of CDs, that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: But also he went on and did a lot of movie stuff. I think more than people realized.
Speaker 1: The hunger was the one I remember. Do you remember any other movies Did that have Susan Sarandon in it? Was it about vampires? I yeah is that what it was? I think, so I have to look this up.
Speaker 2: Okay, look it up. I think that was it.
Speaker 1: There's a scene, if it's the movie I'm thinking of, if it's the movie I'm thinking of, there's a scene in it that I just love, and it includes Susan Sarandon and Maybe not shall be a boucheau, but a French actress, I think and and there's a there's a lesbian sex scene in it. Oh, really, yeah, let me, let me see. If I can find that, let's see here.
Speaker 2: How about this one? You remember the movie that he did with Jim Henson and the Muppet type characters? And what movie was that? Labyrinth.
Speaker 1: No, I never saw. Okay, no, so the hunger was 1983, it was Catherine de Nouve.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay.
Speaker 1: The hunger is a British erotic. It's erotic, that's what it's getting. The hunger is a British film. It's classified as as erotic horror. Hmm, is that bizarre? It is. It's directed by Tony Scott, it was his directorial debut and it starred Catherine de Nouve, david Bowie and Susan Sarandon. Yes, this is the one, oh. Oh, okay and it says there's some questions that Google posts, like did David Bowie play the cello in the hunger? And it says he actually learned to play the cello for his music scenes.
Speaker 2: So I don't know what character he plays, but we should rent it or see it, and I think so too and probably labyrinth to just to see it, because it's kind of a bizarre. It's a little out there. Anyway, we don't have to go on and on about David Bowie, but let's say this about that and that is that. David Bowie, we love you, we miss you. You were important to us and you are not forgotten by us.
Speaker 1: No, he was one of the brilliant artists of our lifetime. That we got to actually Live in the world with an experience, and that's exciting and see something different.
Speaker 2: You know, a little Midwestern boy from Iowa sees this, this, you know individual with their bright red hair and a Lightning bolt painted across their face and I'd never seen anything like that before. And to know that that, that that was out there and that that was possible and that it was okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when I realized that I was gay when I was 14 after I read an article in the Readers Digest, I Didn't know who I was, what I wanted to look like. I know I didn't want the hair that all the football jocks and everybody like that had in my school. All right so I went to this hair place and it was a stylist in back then there was a big difference between a stylist and a Barber shop. Yes, you know, if you were a straight boy, you went to a barber shop. Right, women went to stylists. But in the city that I was in, which was fairly large Wilmington, delaware there were a few stylists around that did more than just, you know, run the clipper over your head.
Speaker 2: I went to a barber stylist. How about that? When I was in high school?
Speaker 1: I think that's what I did too. Yeah, so I am God.
Speaker 2: So he was kind of a little fancier and his place was a little fancier than a barber shop.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was, that's, exactly right.
Speaker 2: And he used a blow comb not a blow dryer, but that had the comb on the end of the blower and hairspray. Yeah, now, the barber didn't put hairspray on your hair, but but the stylist is the stylist, I went to sold redkin products, but I had forgotten about that until just this moment.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah but he had maybe some special colognes. Yes, and I never had my Head washed by someone else other than my mother.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, I think I. I think he might have been the first one that's in a, in a place in a business.
Speaker 1: And so there, I was 14 or 15 years old and I went to get my haircut and he swung the chair around, put my head in the sink and washed it with warm water and Massaged my scalp. I thought I was in heaven. It was pretty fancy, right. I probably got hard that age and having somebody wash my head.
Speaker 2: Thankfully the cape was on there, so everything was concealed.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it was probably a black cape, as opposed to the white ones that the barber shop use right, yeah. I forgot all about that. Thank you, casey. Yeah, that's why this podcasting thing can be, and us getting together and talking about stuff can?
Speaker 2: be so fun. It brings back a memory. A tangent goes off and it brings back a memory. So let's each pick. Then let's choose a David Bowie song to use this time for the soundtrack of our life.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Okay, here's what I'm picking.
Speaker 1: This is a little off track. It's a little bit of Denver trivia. There's a theater in Denver that was part of a Chain which is kind of going belly up mostly these days. I think that was old, historic movie theaters that showed vintage movies and foreign films, and the movie theater that I'm thinking of is called the Esquire. Yeah, I think so so in the Esquire back in the Mid-80s maybe they used to run Rocky horror picture show at midnight at the Esquire every week.
Speaker 2: Okay, and we would take our everything.
Speaker 1: We take all this stuff with us to throw around, and I felt sorry for the people that had to clean it up, but the way they started the show Was they opened up the curtain and they played a music video, and the music video was David Bowie and Mick Jagger Doing dancing in the street. Oh, wow, it is the most amazing version and on a big screen. They did something different with the camera. They had it either on a crane and they swung it around in a circle. It was almost like a drone shot, I think, and that is going to be my song. I don't think it's a David Bowie song, but it reminds me of a time in the 80s Going to that fabulous theater before they split it up into two or three different mini theater.
Speaker 2: I didn't know the Esquire did that. I saw it downtown on Colfax at the Ogden. Really many, many times, many weekends was that when the balcony you could smoke in the balcony of that time, I don't know, but you were a smoker back in the day, weren't you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but we didn't sit in the balcony.
Speaker 2: We wanted to sit down where, the where the action was Okay. So just to be sure.
Speaker 1: Let me look this up. I'm gonna cut this dead space out. You know, every now and then I doubt my memory and this is something that happens when you get past 65. Sure, we forget names of things. We have recall problems with people's names, names of specific items. We can describe them, we can talk about them, but we can't think of the word you know what.
Speaker 2: But aren't we lucky for us at our age, at this point in time, that we do have at our fingertips a way to affirm something or, you know, to find out if we're right, or to recheck on something. It's so nice to be able to do that.
Speaker 1: It does make me feel good actually it gives me some Comfort and security to know that I forget something. I can look it up easily because previous generations Would just have to wonder if they were right or not right.
Speaker 2: At least we can look it up now.
Speaker 1: Right and unlike an encyclopedia, you don't have to spell it right, and even if you just have a few words of something, google will figure out what you're thinking right. So it's David Bowie and Mick Jagger, and the song is Dancing in the Street. It was done, let's see here. So dancing in the street was a. What do you call it when two people work together? A collab, a collab, isn't it?
Speaker 2: It's a collab Isn't a collab, what they call them.
Speaker 1: Just fans or just for fans? Uh-huh, uh-huh, only fans. The original idea was that Bowie and Jagger, two of the biggest stars- of that decade Would perform together at different legs of the live aid marathon On saturday, july 13th this would have been 19, I don't know. It was going to be at wimmy stadium or something about that. So anyway, they recorded this song together and then they did a video and I can see, and I can still see it in my mind. I can picture myself sitting in that theater With the balcony still attached. Yeah theater and everybody's so excited for the you know, the midnight showing of Rocky horror picture show.
Speaker 2: It just, it just brings it all back.
Speaker 1: It makes it alive again.
Speaker 2: Thank you for that. Sure. Sure, that's fun. I remember to it was it's vanilla ice that you're talking about. Vanilla ice, did the?
Speaker 1: Sample ice baby is the name of the song.
Speaker 2: They did the sampling of the pressure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's. And for anybody who doesn't know that, if you know, this tune.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's it, ting ting.
Speaker 1: Yep that the vanilla ice did ice ice baby. That was david bowie from many years before. Yep, what? What's your song of david bowie's career? That it means something to you. Well, I'm going to go back to the beginning of our talk.
Speaker 2: Because, because, obviously the the thing that started this whole conversation was me accidentally choosing red shoes, something I've never done in my whole life. So I have to choose. Let's dance, because I put on my red shoes. But are you dancing the blues? I can. After we're done here, I'll do some performance art for you and a perform a dance, a blues dance Fantastic, okay.
Speaker 1: Does anything about that song, besides your red shoes, bring back any particular memories for you?
Speaker 2: Well, I just remember. I do remember the song and I remember liking it, I remember singing it, I remember kind of belting it out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's a great song you could sing along right Right. Yeah, it got a lot of airplay. Yep, I think so too. Well, how great we talked about david bowie. We still did soundtrack of our life. But this was a fun episode, a little different from normal, and I liked it. Yep, good yeah. Any of our listeners that have an opinion and want to let us know what you think, um, go to our website enormous podcastcom and Send us a message, say hated it, liked it. You need to work on it. That Harley needs to shut up.
Speaker 2: And, as I've been always saying, if you're not listening, you better start.
Speaker 1: If you're not a listener, go to apple podcast.
Speaker 2: Happy new year.
Speaker 1: Happy new year everybody.
Speaker 2: Until next time, remember to be kind and, like us, keep it enormous.
Speaker 1: This show is part of the pride 48 network find all the best shows under the rainbow at pride 48. Are you finished not?
Speaker 2: yet push it back. Yeah, I'm now, I'm finished.