KC: it's counting. Hello, mary Song. Goodbye heart. Sweet mary lou, I'm so in love with you. What
Harley: What
KC: is that?
Harley: Song . Goodbye heart. Sweet mary lou, I'm so in love with you. What is that? Song I don't, I don't know how you picked those particular song lyrics out because I was going to say hello so that's what. That's what came next oh, this is kind of loud. Can you turn down my? Uh, turn it down on your uh turn it, turn down my uh headphone thing the headphone one okay, how's that?
Speaker 3: lower, feel better. Lower, lower, lower, lower, lower. Wow, that's good, right there, jeez, that's a lot okay, yeah, well, it's a lot.
Harley: It was making me, we can't have that what what this is enormous with your hosts, harley and kc. So now, the last time we got together, yes, for a little recording, we talked about, uh, I don't remember, but it had to do with aging. I think it had to do with words oh yes, forgetting them yeah, and a little bit of memory stuff, correct, yeah? So um, this time, but we forgot. I forgot to mention something and there was something else that you wanted to ask me about. I did.
KC: Yeah, oh, I forgot what you told me to ask you about. What did we just? We just talked about something and you said I know what it was. Amazon Days, oh. Amazon Prime Day, oh. Is that what it's really called?
Harley: I believe so yes, amazon Prime Day. I can't remember. I call it Amazon Days, d-a-z-e the Amazon Days, because if you get on that stupid sale, you could lose four hours in a days and have like 12 boxes shipped to your house and not even remember what you ordered.
KC: It would be so fun and so easy. I have learned to curb my enthusiasm, as they say, so I don't go crazy and order like I used to would for Prime Day.
Harley: I looked for stuff and everything I wanted was not on sale.
KC: Well, there's so many gadgets and you say oh, I'll use that gadget. I like that gadget, I like that gadget, and then those gadgets go in a drawer and you don't use them. So did you buy anything this year? I bought a couple of items, but it was but very. I was very practical this year, so you want to know what I got.
Harley: I'd love to know what you got.
KC: Yeah, you practical. I feel like I'm embarrassed to say this out to the masses.
Harley: but I'm speechless because you're never practical.
KC: I bought just for men, hair coloring Good. I bought batteries AA and AAA batteries that were on sale.
Harley: Did you buy any hearing aid batteries?
KC: What? And I bought, oh, for the camper. I wanted a little tool kit. Like you know, back in the day it was the ladies kit, if I can say that. You know the one I'm talking about.
Harley: Well, target this would have been in the late 80s, early 90s. Target used to sell a plastic box that had you know, both kinds of screwdrivers, basically, and a pliers and some basic things. A hammer, a flashlight hammer and it was called a do-it-herself kit.
KC: That's exactly what I got. I know that nowadays we don't call it that.
Harley: Right, we don't and probably that product could not exist, probably in this day and age.
KC: No, I'm sure it's been renamed. I can't exactly remember what they. I could look it up and tell you what they called it and it did come. You could get everything with pink handles, or with light turquoise handles, or whatever I chose, orange A good bronco color.
Harley: So it wasn't called the do-it-herself no, no, no, this one really was.
KC: Yeah, I know, that's exactly what it was.
Harley: It's shocking.
KC: It was like the Bic pen. That was the Bic for her. What was that? Bic came out with the pen for a while. That was called the Bic. It was a pen and it was kind of pretty. This is now called the General Household Hand Tool Kit.
Harley: That's perfect.
KC: That's a good name for it, yeah.
Harley: So it has something for everything really Right.
KC: There's the hammer and the scissors and the screwdrivers and all that?
Harley: Do they have any little sockets? There were some. I believe, yeah, for the little small ones, that you can use a straight, a flathead screwdriver.
KC: There's a tape measure an allen wrenches. Are there any richard wrenches? Only allen no, dick wrenches no dick wrenches and also, uh, what do you call? Oh see, now here's a word. I lost what you know, that sharp thing that you can cut open a box with, and has a, has a blade in it. Yes, uh-huh yep carpet knife yeah, is that what we call it I don't know what it is, but it has that, yes, utility knife. Utility knife, thank you for remembering what. And this one even has some uh screws. Oh, in case you need, in case you have a screw loose and it falls out, you can replace it right, and it's even got the things that go in the wall, that spread out wall anchors, yeah, and a tape measure so basically, and it has orange handles- you said this is basically the old person's toolkit.
Harley: It's bright so you can see it. Yeah, it has a little of everything right, because you really don't know what you need. But even if you can't fix it, you're going to try, because that's the way old guys are. Totally yeah, when you finally break it, you're going to call someone out and you're going to hand them one of these tools. They're going to say do you have a screwdriver? You hand them one of these tools. You go oh, you bought the old person's kit from Amazon days.
KC: My rule is try to fix it till I break it, and then I'll have to call somebody else. I bought this. This wasn't part of Amazon. I had bought Prime Days. It was before I had bought this electric skillet. Oh, I love those. Are you familiar with the concept?
Harley: My mother cooked fricassee chicken Right.
KC: Delicious right. My grandmother did her fried chicken in an electric skillet.
Harley: My mom did too it was amazing.
KC: So I bought this really cute one for the camper and it's round and has that thermostatic control thing, that big probe that you plug into the bottom of it or whatever. It was so unsafe we had no idea oh my gosh, it's still the same, it's still built the same. This one is anyway from Amazon, of course, drop it in a sink of water and zzz. Yeah, exactly that. So Mr was using it and at first he was saying, oh, I like this because it's a small size, it's compact and look, I can do my bacon in here or whatever. Between the two of us we only have four or six pieces anyway. And then we started noticing right away you'd set the dial, the thermostatic dial, you know how there's like three contacts there's a long one that sticks out, and then two holes Right, you know the two holes. The two holes. And then there's that long probe.
Harley: And then there's the long probe.
Speaker 3: Right.
KC: And that's the temperature control probe, actually this one. He would use it. It would heat up and get real hot to where he wanted it to be, and then it seemed, when it got to that point, it would totally shut down.
Harley: I bet it did, I bet it did, I bet it was a safety feature, so you don't burn your house down.
KC: Right. And so then the bacon would be sizzling and suddenly it would just stop. Yep, then you'd have to wait a little minute and then it would start up again and it would heat up again and it'd start to sizzle. And then Did you send it back? No, and I had it. Here's the thing with camping and trailers and stuff too, is sometimes you buy things and then you haven't tried it yet and six months went by and it stayed in the camper, in the box, and then you dug it out and tried it, and now I missed my window of opportunity to return it to Amazon. So I said to him now I'm going to tell a bad story on myself for the whole world to hear I'm going to buy a new one, you know what I'm going to say don't you? I'm going to buy a new one because this one is obviously defective. I'm going to put the old one in the new box because it was still new you know, it was in the box, it hadn't been used, and I'm going to, you know, send it back. And then we have a new one that's not defective, and the old one goes back and you just say it wasn't, it didn't work yeah. It didn't work. Bezos can afford it, right.
Harley: Right, they're used to this trick that probably they are.
KC: They probably would see me coming. Huh yeah, because they? Because amazon keeps track of you've ordered this before. It says right on. When you click on something it goes last ordered, on whatever date do you ever make, do you ever mix metaphors?
Harley: yeah, yeah, when you said they could see you coming yes I almost said with a 10-foot pole, right.
KC: I thought that's, that doesn't go together, okay but I get it then I happened to just go on amazon and look at it to see if it was still there still something available.
Harley: And it was still there and available.
KC: To have better reviews and then I said maybe I should read the reviews, which I hadn't done before. I probably should have said this too. The thing was like $19.
Harley: Well, you get what you pay for 95 cents.
KC: Yeah Well, you get what you pay for 95 cents. Yeah, it wasn't a $30 or $45 or $100 electric fryer. So I read the reviews and I realized that everyone had the same problems, and so now I'm just going to have to live with it.
Harley: Oh, that's too bad. Well, a few years ago, the government got involved with a crockpot and crockpots in the olden days, old school crockpots all those expressions that are no longer popular they used to be a lower temperature and so, if you remember, you used to be able to put like a pot roast or something in a crockpot, go to work, come home and it would just be done. Now, if you do that, it's way overcooked. It literally falls apart. That's true. So what happened was they decided that in certain circumstances, the shutoff temperature was too low and it actually bred bacteria, certain types of bacteria, and didn't kill the bacteria. I was wondering where you're going to go with this. It probably had to do with something like people that started with a frozen pot roast instead of a thawed pot roast or something like that. So, to protect the people who didn't know that their meat was well cooked, they raised the temperature before it shuts off, so that everything's overcooked now. So there was a period of time when you could buy old crockpots at garage sales that worked better than the brand new ones. Now you don't have a choice. Everyone's used to it. It's just the way it is.
KC: Yeah, we've figured out how to work around it, but I totally know that concept. It's happened to us.
Harley: So I think that's what's happening with your fry pan. I think there's some kind of an automatic shutoff that says if it goes any higher, it might be so high that grease might start on fire.
KC: So it might burn his finger and then, when it cools off about so much, then it starts to heat itself back up again, instead of just regulating the temperature like they used to.
Harley: Well, I had great hopes. I went looking for a electric chainsaw on a 10-foot pole For Prime Day. I looked and looked and looked and looked. I found a half a dozen that were 30, 40% off, 25% off. I needed just to trim some of the lower branches off of this huge tree in my front yard and I don't want to make a big deal out of it. If I only have the energy to trim off one branch, I don't want to plan a whole day around it, I just want to grab it and cut off a branch.
KC: Yeah, I like that concept too, and for us that are city dwellers the disposal thing is a thing too, so you can't just totally chop your tree down in one fell swoop anyway, because now you're going to have a disposal problem. Yeah so, but if you do a little at a time and can throw away a few pieces here or there, then you can get rid of it, and I don't know about you, but we've had a lot of wind in the city this year, same it's been, I mean, gale force winds, right.
Harley: And so the trees lost some dead branches, and some of them them are as big as what's that? About four or five inches. And once they're on the ground, how do you cut them up Right? So you don't want to. You know, a hand saw is kind of. It would take you forever. I was looking at those. The only one, the best-selling one, the one with the best reviews, the best-priced one, was not on sale oh sure. Was it an an electric or a gas one? It was electric and I wanted a corded one. Okay, because I'm tired of reaching for a battery-powered tool and I didn't, and I get halfway through the job and it dies. Right, ended up not getting it okay but I got one thing. We've talked about the fact that the Apple Watch battery, after a certain number of years, expands and basically self-destructs the phone. It pushes the face off of your watch. Right, you can get the battery replaced. But who's going to spend that kind of money to replace old technology? It's pretty much planned obsolescence.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Harley: So I just refused to buy a new Apple Watch. So I saw something two years or three years ago on Prime Days and I bought it. It was a knockoff Fitbit and on Prime Days it cost me. This real price was $39.95, and I got it for $19.95. So it was a third off. It monitors your sleep, deep sleep, light sleep, movement, heartbeat, steps, your mileage and when you go for a walk, the little app that comes with it shows you exactly where you walked I mean really exact, and it shows you how fast you walked for each segment of that walk. It's pretty cool. There's something called an Amaze Fit. Okay, and I had a 5. Well, when I was looking around before the sale, I saw a 7. And it was only $49.95. It's a good product and this one has a bigger screen and it monitors blood oxygen, how fast you're breathing. It's got all this additional kind of stuff. Plus. It has Alexa built in. It can tell you when you get text messages and voicemails that can answer that. You have to charge it once every 18 days and the screen is always on.
KC: Wow.
Harley: It does all this stuff. So I said I'm going to see if it's on sale. It was Wow. My total cost was 41 bucks and that included tax, which is pretty high in Denver. But if you use your Amazon Visa card, which normally gives you 5% back, if you take the slow shipment they'll give you 7% back.
KC: Oh, I didn't know they did that. I knew they had a slower option for Prime Days and I thought that was probably because they're so busy. That's pretty good.
Harley: So I thought, give it a try, send it back if it doesn't work.
KC: I love it. That's pretty good, so I thought give it a try, send it back if it doesn't work. I love it. Well, I was thinking there was one other thing before we closed today that you should talk to me about, which was another gadget you got, but not on Prime Day.
Harley: Well, it came during Prime Day.
KC: Oh, it did yeah.
Harley: I have a buying relationship with a wholesaler in my industry that gives me points for spending money with them, and so I got mad at them the other day and I was going to discontinue business with them and I went to my little points calculator and saw how many points I had and I said I'm going to cash in some points.
KC: Before you. If you're going to stop working with them, you better get some of your points so.
Harley: I ordered a Nespresso Virtuo Plus, I think it's called. It's a Nespresso coffee maker. It uses the little, totally recyclable aluminum pods and it makes the most delicious coffee ever. I've wanted one of these for years. I said I'm not going to pay as much money as they want for a machine. This machine that I got is if you bought it on Amazon, it would be about $200. And then spend a dollar a pod for coffee. And then, when I could get one for free, I thought, well, a dollar for a cup of coffee is not bad really no, that's good. I mean, coffee is expensive anyway, this is really good coffee. So I got it, and I also got a $100 gift certificate to TJ Maxx Home Goods. Oh wow. So I got the coffee maker and $100 gift certificate for free, absolutely free, no shipping, nothing.
KC: Wow nice. So that's a good perk. And what did you think? Yeah, it's delicious, I love it.
Speaker 3: You're still going to cancel your relationship with this particular vendor or do you want more points.
Harley: I would like some more points, please. Yes, I would like to get another. Well, I can get Amazon gift cards, I can get Visa gift cards and I can get TJ Maxx gift cards. Well, that's a pretty good deal, then I would say or home goods, and that's right across the parking lot from where I work. Yeah, that's awesome. I might stay just a little bit longer to get some more points.
KC: That sounds good. Yeah, great. Well, we should say before we close that there's this feature. Now we may have said this already. If you look in our show notes, at the top of the show notes, you can click and send us a little message. It's sort of like a text, except for not, because we can't directly respond back to it.
Harley: And we don't know who it is. No, if you don't identify yourself.
KC: Right, they jumble the numbers. So we don't know who it is. If you don't identify yourself in some kind of way, we don't know who you are. But it'd be great if you would somehow secretly identify yourself. We won't say and just tell us what gadget you just got for Amazon Prime Days.
Harley: Ooh, that'd be great.
KC: We'd love to know, right, if you're a gadget freak, like I am and like Casey is, then let us know what you got, and if you think it's something we should respond to back on the air, then just let us know that as well. Yeah, we'll talk about it on the air. Awesome.
Harley: Great, give us a fake name, yeah, which actually I think is more like a real name Sure In show business.
KC: The business of show as they say yeah, that's what we're in. Well, we better sign off, because I see a shot of MakerSmart sitting here with my name on it.
Harley: Okay, everybody have a great period of time until we see you next time.
Speaker 3: Okay, bye.
KC: Bye, until next time. Remember to be kind and, like us, keep it enormous, enormous, enormous, just enormous.
Harley: This podcast is a proud member of the Pride 48 Podcasting Network. Check out more great shows at pride48.com.
Speaker 3: Okay, how's that Lower Feel better. Lower, lower, lower, lower, lower. Wow, that's good, right there, jeez, that's a lot. Now I'm finished.