Speaker 1: you can only squeeze something so big into a particular limited size that's what I've been told you probably experienced that a lot.
Speaker 2: Maybe a time or two I got a confession to make what?
Speaker 1: this is enormous with your hosts harley and kc did you get yourself on the? Ham map.
Speaker 2: I did and we're talking about big fatty online's ham map. I got a confession to make for you about the, the ham map. What? Because there was one before you know. Before you were a podcast listener many many years ago there was a ham map. I thought seriously, I thought all these years. I thought it was h, a and d. I thought it was the hand map because, knowing our friend big fatty, you know hand map made sense to me, that word. Yeah, that it was the hand map you know, given like a puppet theater, given the, yeah, given the puppet theater, and I was so shocked and surprised and appalled I tell you, just appalled to find out that it was the ham map. See, doesn't hand make more sense? Like I'm raising my hand, like here's my hand up, like I'm over here, oh, I like that, but it's ham why?
Speaker 1: Because Fatty likes bacon. Oh is it just that simple? First time I met Fatty was at a Pride 48 event. Pride 48 event in New Orleans.
Speaker 2: A live in-person event.
Speaker 1: And he had a full suit. That was bacon. Yes, Not really. I mean it was printed to look like bacon.
Speaker 2: Like Lady Gaga's meat dress.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think Fatty would actually wear real bacon.
Speaker 2: Maybe it has something to do with that We'll have to ask him. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure why that was, but I put my name on, went back to check it, had a good picture. It was right side up, not sideways like many of them.
Speaker 2: Mine's sideways, and then I plotted a particular address point. I won't say where it is. Look it up. If anybody wants to know, go ahead and find me on the ham map and you'll see where I'm at, where I'm hanging out.
Speaker 1: You know, that's what I tried to do too. Oh, okay, but unfortunately, the porta potties in City Park do not have a US mail address, so it put me on some side street. It's not even the street I live on. I don't even know what it is. I wanted to change it and put something more deliberate, and then I would check it, and it didn't change. So finally I said, well, I'll just delete it and start over. So I deleted it and it wouldn't delete. I said, well, adam'll just delete it and start over. So I deleted it and it wouldn't delete. I said, well, adam's got to work on this map. A couple of days later you said, hey, your name dropped off the map.
Speaker 2: Something's going on with my iPad. I'm worried. It's real. It's real slow. The internet, just the internet. Everything else is fine, me too.
Speaker 1: Everything it's like it has spyware in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what is that all about?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Perhaps it does.
Speaker 1: It's the same thing at work, but I think the internet's been slow with the cold weather.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: When it gets cold, you don't go out. And if you're not watching TV? Well, if you are watching TV, it might be streaming, Sure no. And if you're not watching TV, what are you doing? You're on the computer or listening to music. Everything we do now works. I did a speed test. We had 1.8 megabytes per second. Wow, that's bad. That's really bad. Comcast if you're listening, you really suck.
Speaker 2: That's what I thought was. I said I don't want a girly dog like that because I'd always had kind of butch, I don't know what other words to use. All the inappropriate ones. Let's get canceled today and say all the inappropriate things yeah, want to be canceled by the cancel culture uh-huh, but I yeah, so I just said I don't want a girly dog. I'm used to having butch dogs and, uh, he was one of my favorite little dogs. He was a good dog.
Speaker 1: So at some point in my life I was settled down in a partnership and had a house and I said it's time to get a dog. Oh yeah. So I was trying to figure out what kind of dog I wanted.
Speaker 2: Now, did you have a dog when you were a kid, or no? I don't remember you telling me. Oh.
Speaker 1: I had this mutt that my uncle dropped off and my mother was furious. His name was Clyde. Good dog name, uh-huh. When I went to pick my first dog, I decided I was going to pick it by personality.
Speaker 2: So you mean just general personality of a particular breed? But, not the individual dog's personality.
Speaker 1: There's a book called how to Find your Perfect Dog. Okay, and it has a questionnaire in it and a medium-sized dog that did not shed, that was smart, that was not too active because I didn't want it to take over the house. Yeah active because I didn't want it to take over the house yeah, but active enough that I could throw the ball with it and take it to work and it would like my customers and that kind of stuff. So I ruled out rescues at the time because I the dog had to come to work with me and what I was afraid of if the dog seemed normal on the outside and then some man walks in with a black hat and the dog freaks out okay because of past experience right kind of yeah, I couldn't have that. It was an insurance thing so I had to get a puppy, and so I went with a breed and uh, at the top of my list was bernie's mountain dog, german shepherd and standard poodle. I knew the Standard Poodle was the best dog. Bernie's Mountain Dogs will fill your house with hair.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: German Shepherds are wonderful owner-centric dogs but they also shed a lot and sometimes late in life they kind of turn a little bit. At least that's what my experience has been with other people that have had them and I thought a poodle is perfect. They're smart, they don't shed, they live a long life. You know it'll be easy and a standard one would be fine. I could not get over being a gay man walking a gay looking dog.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay.
Speaker 1: In a gay neighborhood.
Speaker 2: Okay, you thought it was going to be too stereotypical.
Speaker 1: Right. I kind of said, well, I can't do that. Well, one afternoon I was with my friend Deb and Deb had a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel that I call the footstool dog.
Speaker 2: Yeah, see, that's another one that also seems girly to me. Probably not. What I've learned over the years now is a dog is a dog.
Speaker 1: Yep, probably not. What I've learned over the years now is a dog is a dog. Yep, but that was all things. English Cavaliers are bred to be companion dogs.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: That's all they do. They don't hunt, they don't swim. They just want to be with you and make you happy, Right? So we're at the park and this wonderful dog ran up. The dog's name was Nisa and it kind of looked a little bit like a poodle, but it was black and white. It was sturdier, stocky kind of a dog and did everything. The owner said it fetched, it, came, it sat it laid down. It did everything. I said what type of dog is that? I think I just found my perfect dog. She said it's a Portuguese water dog. I said what are their characteristics? She said well, think of a standard poodle.
Speaker 2: And I went yes, I leaned in Right, A little bit like you do you know when you hear something you're like. I said okay, like a standard poodle, much as the dog cocks their head sideways when they're listening to you Exactly, I became a dog.
Speaker 1: And exactly I became a dog. And she said a little bit like a standard poodle but just less fussy and more sturdy right, not as tall. I said that's perfect, I have to get one. She said here's the name of the breeder, a few towns north. It was not a puppy mill, it was someone who bred dogs to show them okay and so I contacted the breeder and there was a litter on its way and I heard the price and I said no way yeah. And this is what 20, 30, 25 to 30 years ago. Maybe Is that right yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so it was even more money back then I thought, oh, that's ridiculous, yeah, I can't pay that much money for a dog. And then I talked to my friend, deb, who had the Cavalier, and she said look, how much do you think shots cost? How much does food cost? You're going to buy it any collars?
Speaker 2: any beds any toys.
Speaker 1: What about when it gets sick and you take it to the vet? What about when it gets sick at four o'clock in the morning and you take it to the emergency vet yeah, what about when you have it neutered, what you know? she talked about this and and I said you know what? If you factor in all of that the amount of money that this dog would cost me, it's a bargain. No, it Right. If you factor it over the 12 years of the expected dog's life, it's doable. And so I got it Most wonderful dog I ever had. And then we got another one.
Speaker 2: I don't feel like they live very long. Well, my Portuguese water dog sure didn't. How old was he? I guess was nine no that's not long, yeah old was he?
Speaker 1: I guess he was nine. No, that's not long.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think that's very long.
Speaker 1: But I think the average lifespan for them is between 10 and 12 years.
Speaker 2: See, that's not very long, though, really.
Speaker 1: No, I've heard of some that have lived as long as 14 to 16.
Speaker 2: Right. But yeah, that's not long I mean, because of the way they are, they really become. I don't. I don't know there's something different about that kind of dog that their eyeballs are different it looks like there's a human inside there yeah just by the shape of their eyeball. It doesn't look like a dog eyeball, looks like a human eyeball. So somebody's in there. Number one, that's what I would think about him. And then he became. They're like a family member they're people I can't, I'll start I know getting all worked up here because that was, that was quite the dogs right?
Speaker 1: well, you know what happened to us yeah, you've heard this story um, so the second portuguese water dog died and the house was so empty and so sad and my husband, sarge, was just beside himself, and so I started thinking about what could we do. I said I know I'll get another Portuguese puppy for Christmas.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I said, no, I can't do it.
Speaker 2: Well, and I tried to do a rescue when I got mine, but that's that's.
Speaker 1: You just can't really find that with the portuguese water dogs no, and, and unfortunately the rescues are usually people who don't know anything about dogs. They're adult enough, but they haven't been trained properly and they'll destroy your house, right, but uh. So that's when I found a little Yoda, and Yoda was like 10 pounds and part poodle and part Shih Tzu, which I think is interesting, and I think part terrier. They didn't say that and Yoda has just been wonderful. And then recently we got Marley and he was a rescue. We talk about this almost every night when we watch the dog house. You watch the Dog House, you watch the Dog House. There's a show that streams through Max. It's called the Dog House and it takes place at Woodgreen, an English rehoming center.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: It's like a SPCA or something that's privately owned.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: And so they record people coming in what kind of dog they're looking for. You watch them meet the dog. Then they either take the dog with them or not and then they show that. Then they show sometime later is what they call it and they have an interview with the people to see whether or not they kept the dog and if it worked out okay, so I can't watch that show.
Speaker 2: Then why? Because I'll be going and getting dogs and I've been forbidden. I've been strictly forbidden from bringing any more dogs home ever again in my whole entire life, so interesting you say that so this is it what I have now, is it?
Speaker 1: you're not allowed to have any more dogs no, and I'll bring one.
Speaker 2: I will bring one home, I will.
Speaker 1: Oh see, that's the problem I, I really will.
Speaker 2: I'll go, I'll go. We can go now. You want to go. We can go to dumb friends league right now. I'll find a dog and bring it home.
Speaker 1: Want to.
Speaker 2: Not a problem, I do, but I'll be. I'll be in trouble.
Speaker 1: But here's the good part. Well at least we now have a conversation going about the next dog you do. Both of our dogs are older. Yeah, that's true. I mean I have a 75-pound golden doodle who's maybe late 10 or 11 years old.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when I had the Portuguese water dog and people would ask me, is he a golden doodle or a labradoodle, I would be incensed and offended. Oh, really, and say, hmm, harumph, no, he's a purebred. Thank you very much, portuguese water dog. I came to soften on that. And now, having been around Marley, of course he's amazing.
Speaker 1: I didn't really have that kind of a reaction. It was a knee-jerk reaction. I just thought well, you know, they're very similar actually.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but remember, I grew up on a farm with horses and cattle and collies and rat terriers and in all those animals you stayed true to the bloodline and true to the breed.
Speaker 1: Well, in a way, I had the opposite situation.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Because, you know, I own my own store and it used to be in downtown Denver, and so it's a very diverse group of people.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: And to tell somebody that you paid money for a purebred dog or for them to assume you paid money for a purebred dog when there's all these dogs that need homes.
Speaker 2: Sure, and I've done both. I've bought a purebred dog before, but I've also rescued a dog before.
Speaker 1: Yoda's just wonderful, we just love him. So I don't think I would do anything except a rescue. And particularly now that we're watching this show we're saying, well, what would we get?
Speaker 2: Sometimes we just watch the. On Thanksgiving we watch the dog show. So even then I start thinking, what should I have next? I don't need one Number one. Now I have the problem that the dog I have now my Australian shepherd blue healer mix.
Speaker 1: Smart.
Speaker 2: It's very, yeah, that's. One problem is he's smarter than me, so keeping up with him is difficult.
Speaker 1: Athletic.
Speaker 2: Yes, and a worker. You know he's never happier than when I'm telling him what to do and he's doing that thing and pleasing me. He he's never happier than when I'm telling him what to do and he's doing that thing and pleasing me. He loves to please me. He really does. That's his joy. So he's a pretty good dog, but he is double-coated and a severe shedder, as most double-coated dogs are. So I have little in the corners of the room. I can get little short fuzzy fur balls of dust, bunny hair Right and then all over everything else is the long outer hairs.
Speaker 1: That was another thing about adopting and having a store. Because I could not have dog hair in the store, I had to have a dog that was hypoallergenic, because people are allergic to dogs. And if they always come in to buy something and they leave all puffy-eyed and sneezing.
Speaker 2: Now, have you ever had somebody that just didn't want to go in there because there was a dog at all, a dog hater or somebody that was afraid?
Speaker 1: Usually afraid Afraid.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: And there's an interesting I could get canceled for this.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: We're trying to today. We're trying to. There's an interesting profile of people who are afraid of dogs.
Speaker 2: From your standpoint.
Speaker 1: One of the things that I noticed is that most of the people that were afraid of dogs came from marginalized neighborhoods or grew up in marginalized neighborhoods, where dogs were used for protection and their aggressive nature was encouraged.
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 1: Now walking dogs in my neighborhood. None of the dogs that people got during COVID are socialized.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a. It's a weird thing, isn't?
Speaker 1: it. They weren't around strangers on the street and they weren't around other dogs. Yep, we have it too. Before COVID, you could walk a dog and you know the dog's name before you knew the owner's name. Yeah, and the dogs would sniff and play and wag tails and all kinds of things. Yep, Now you walk down the street with your dog and you got to turn and go in the opposite direction.
Speaker 2: Cross the street, or we do the same thing.
Speaker 1: Really.
Speaker 2: If we're walking out here through one of those parks, either us or the other party of people will at some point, before you get too close, we'll veer off of the sidewalk and pass by each other, but not on the sidewalk.
Speaker 1: The way I found Yoda was. I went to a website called adoptapetcom, I think, so it was sort of like Facebook. Oh wait, it's like Grindr.
Speaker 2: That's where they got the idea. Yeah, they got it from Grindr and Scrub.
Speaker 1: So there's a dog profile and you put in the attributes that you're looking for.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Like doesn't shed long hair short hair, if you have a particular breed you like. So you put in all these specifications and then you put in a distance that you're willing to look Like a mile or five miles or 50 miles and I put 50 miles and I came up with two really hopeful dogs. It was like I was shopping. I had two dogs and my favorite one was Yoda. His picture was really cute. He was a young dog which I wanted house trained. He did not shed good around people, so they said so. If that's true, that's kind of the next thing, you got it. So I said I wanted to meet Yoda and two weeks went by, didn't hear a word. So I said the universe doesn't want me to have that dog right now, so we're just going to let it go. As soon as I got to that point, I got a phone call. The woman said you had inquired about Yoda Uh-huh. And I said yeah, it's been a while. She said well, I'm really sorry, I was out of town on a family emergency.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm the foster home in denver. Oh, but yoda's still available. I thought maybe they had somebody else that was looking, so you were down on the list, or something, I mean small, doesn't shed good with people and the cutest picture.
Speaker 1: She said do you want to meet him? I said, yeah, I can come over, you know, anytime I get after work. She said look, why don't I bring Yoda to your house and you can just visit with him without anyone around? Oh boy, smart, Smart on her part, because then he probably came over there and he never left Smart on her part, because if she's a dog lover, she got to check out the environment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that too, to see if it was suitable, sure.
Speaker 1: Then Yoda wouldn't be distracted. She came in with Yoda, I sat on the sofa. She sat in a chair facing me and Yoda jumped right up on the sofa next to me, pressed his body against my left thigh and went to sleep. See, done deal.
Speaker 2: I have to tell you this I was laying on the bed the other night, me and Max, and it was late and I was watching TV in the dark, so that's what you're calling.
Speaker 1: Mr man, now yeah, you Max and Max.
Speaker 2: And on TV I think it was probably something crazy and scary, like the ID channel, and there was a knock on the door and then a couple seconds later and then another knock on the door it was on TV Max's head came up and he looked around in that dark room and started that low that they do that kind of vocalization. That's okay, because that's protection mode. You know that he was.
Speaker 1: I think it takes about a year for a dog to get to that mode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he was letting me know, and anyone else that he was there, right so poor marley, I don't think he can hear or see oh, because he's so old yeah, I think he sees.
Speaker 1: So yoda's the one that goes. Oh, he does, yeah. And then marley will prick his ears up.
Speaker 2: And if yoda goes, right and that's a good. I like that too, that relationship between two dogs that you have. Like, my other dog took care of yoey. Your yoda is not to be confused with my yoey, that's two different dogs. Even though yoey couldn't hear or see, the other dogs took care of him somehow they're really, really intuitive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Yoda takes care of Marley, and if Marley hears Yoda low growl or bark, marley will start to bark. Yeah, but the first thing he'll do is he'll just do one For sure, and then if Yoda jumps up, marley will jump up.
Speaker 2: Okay, which?
Speaker 1: triggers Yoda even more.
Speaker 2: Then they go running and barking through the house, get each other going, which triggers.
Speaker 1: Yoda even more. Then they go running and barking through the house, get each other going.
Speaker 2: Now, having had Max, I would maybe hope to have a dog that didn't shed. One that needs grooming is okay, I'm used to that. I'm used to taking the dog to a groomer or doing it myself. I got pretty prolific at it during 2020.
Speaker 1: That's a lot of money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I got pretty good at it PetSmart.
Speaker 1: Grooming now is expensive, yeah, and private groomers are just. Oh Lord, you can't afford them.
Speaker 2: Well, there's one out here that is that we see in the neighborhood that comes around with the little pulling this little cart thing, you know, and they'll come to your house and do it.
Speaker 1: Really much do they charge I?
Speaker 2: don't know, but I'm guessing that's pretty expensive yeah, it's a lot of money male or female? Are you trying to pick a dog for me?
Speaker 1: is that what you're going to do, okay?
Speaker 2: well, male. I don't know why that is, but I've had more male dogs than female. I'm not sure why, but if I pick, that's what I'll pick.
Speaker 1: Want to get canceled? Sure, I don't want to look at that floppy thing from behind.
Speaker 2: Oh, you're going to be canceled on that one.
Speaker 1: And 10 or 12 nipples.
Speaker 2: Oh no, my little Inga girl. I like her little nipples. She just loves to roll upside down and have me rub them here. I'll get canceled for real. So I tell her little Inga rolls upside down. So I rub her and then I'll tell her you want me to pinch your nipples. And then I tweak her little nipples and she's in dog heaven. Really she likes that. Yeah, who would have expected that? I don't know. And why do I say you want me to pinch your nipples, but I do.
Speaker 1: You don't just reach down and rub her belly.
Speaker 2: Be like a normal person and say here, let me rub your belly, right, you go. Instead I go, want me to pinch your nipples and tweak, tweak, tweak, tweak. Do you do that in public? I do it to Mr Too, oh yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, of course, of course. The last thing I wanted to tell you about my first Portuguese water dog. It came from the breeder when we picked him up and his name was Sailor Sam.
Speaker 2: Oh no.
Speaker 1: And I said why? I said to my partner at the time we're changing the name.
Speaker 2: Immediately my thing I always do. My formula is always a long name that can be made into a short name, so like when I got Maxwell Smart, the Lionheart, then he's just Max, I didn't know that was his full name. And Inga is Inga von Hund, which is, you know, German for dog. So they always have a lot of names. But three letters is a great.
Speaker 1: For some reason someone's listening to me. On my watch I have English, dog German. Your watch is listening to you, Hund. It translated. I didn't even ask it. So here's the trick to finding a good dog If you sit on the floor and a puppy or anybody else gets released. If you want a well-balanced dog that's not afraid of people, that's not going to tear your house apart, you want to look for the dog that does not run over immediately. You don't want him to cower, you want him to take an interest in you, but not too much of an interest. The dog that runs over, wagging his tail, jumps up on you and licks you on the lip. Don't get that dog. Why? That dog will be hyperactive, hard to train and a little terror in the house. You want a dog that's somewhere in the middle, so not the dog that stays away. So when we got Oscar, we sat on the floor and of the three dogs, two came running over to us immediately, wagging their tails, licking us, jumping on us. And there was one dog that stayed back. He saw us and when the other two dogs got bored and moved on, the third dog came over and very gently started exploring us and let us pet him, licked our hands and settled down, and that's the one. That's the one, Okay that's nice.
Speaker 2: I like that idea, although I have had the hyper dog too, which has been okay. I think I've had all the kinds. Often when I was getting a family dog, I would frequently pick the runt of the litter then because I would like that dog. That was always a nice dog they were always the calm dogs, uh-huh. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So if you want a cuddler, if you want somebody to sit with you and watch TV and you don't want to have to go for a walk when it's too cold, Right, and you don't want to have to go for a walk when it's too cold or when it's raining or when it's snowing, or if they want to play and you're just not in the mood. Don't get the smart, hyperactive dog. Stay away from breeds like Border Collies and Porchie's Water Dogs any type of working dog. They're very, very smart and they need stimulation constantly. Now, when you go for a ride, do you take them to go play somewhere?
Speaker 2: Well, in the summer, weather permitting, yeah, Sometimes now, because he likes to sit up there and look around.
Speaker 1: Now, Marley have you seen Marley in the car? Uh-uh, he spreads out in the car and then, very regally, because he has a very high head and a great posture yes, and then very regally, because he has a very high head and a great posture, he looks very slowly to one side out the window and then he'll look very slowly at the other side and then you might see his eye focus on something, because his head will turn very slowly as we drive past, and then he'll look back. He's big. If he was 40 pounds he'd be perfect.
Speaker 2: He's a little too big. Yeah, he's a little bit big, but I love him.
Speaker 1: Oh, I have to tell you something.
Speaker 2: Is this a secret? It's a secret. Why are we whispering? I don't know. Okay, but if you want to get somebody's attention, whisper, that is a good way. Then they have to lean in.
Speaker 1: And as soon as they physically leaned in, well, well, you got them hooked. Yeah, youtube has gotten really horrible with their commercials. Oh, there's so many. Some you can't skip, some you can, some they make you watch a minute and they're like these long stories, like dr gunderman oh yeah, is that his name.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, yes yep.
Speaker 1: So I saw one the other day and it was for dogs and it said it started out with a nice announcer's voice Does your dog have bad breath, Yellow teeth, yellow turning to black or brown, diarrhea, bad digestion, dry skin itching. And they showed the dog like squirming on the floor, rubbing its back or licking its paw, and doing all this kind of stuff. He said you need to watch this then, because your dog is telling you something?
Speaker 2: oh boy, dr randy uh-huh of the, have you seen this? No, but no. But all of them are the same this they use that same formula, where they keep just talking around in a circle and never getting to the point of something I watched it till the end you did it was oh my gosh. 45 minutes or an hour, oh my god, why did you do that?
Speaker 1: because they said dr randy of the so-and-so dog place in phoenix, arizona, I went. Dr randy, our first portuguese water dog had an amazing vet that we could call, privately named Dr Randy. Very handsome salt and pepper gay guy, oh yeah, with a very energetic, gay sounding voice.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: And he talked me through and many a panicked moments.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Like my dog has just eaten an entire two foot long string bone. Don't tell me that this is the same, Dr Randy. That's on the. I looked at the picture. I said Dr Randy's kind of weird name right. Yeah, it was Dr Randy. Wow, so the vet we used to have now has an info. Oh wow, right, that's something. It was not his voice, it was a professional voice. Oh, wow, right.
Speaker 2: That's something. It was not his voice, it was a professional voice.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, okay, yeah, if you ever see, dr Randy, your dog has a bad diet. It needs bioflavonoids. Oh okay, but not any old bioflavonoids, bioflavonoids that dogs need more of than humans. Oh, so they sell supplements.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, of course they do. Before we wrap it up now, I want to do a soundtrack of our life, because we haven't done one in a while.
Speaker 1: Oh, absolutely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you go first. Should I go first? Yeah, I'm choosing a song from 1971. I was 15 years old. That also makes you 15 years old in 1971.
Speaker 1: I'm bad at math. Math is hard, particularly when it has to do with how old in 19.
Speaker 2: I'm bad at math. Math is hard.
Speaker 1: Particularly when it has to do with how old I am.
Speaker 2: Try to guess the song. It was Jonathan Edwards. Do you know his?
Speaker 1: song. Okay, point me in the right genre.
Speaker 2: Kind of like folk music, but popular for that time.
Speaker 1: Jonathan Edwards but not a, not a funny song.
Speaker 2: This is serious, no this would be yeah, yeah, because you know how, like Joni Mitchell or Is it angsty, or well, they would be making a point maybe Say like politically or societally.
Speaker 1: you know there were a lot of those songs that the words were making a point, Jonathan, Edwards, you know most of the names that I don't think of when I think of the music I was listening to in the 70s is country, would you say it was.
Speaker 2: I feel like it's country adjacent. Okay, folk country. Yeah, more folk.
Speaker 1: Okay, more folksy.
Speaker 2: Did the song make the chart? It did. It might have been one of his only charting songs.
Speaker 1: Okay, and folk country usually tells a story Totally and you're lyric related, yeah.
Speaker 2: So to me, what I hear now in this song is timely. The sound of the song is harmonious and light sounding. It sounds a little light, but the lyrics can be used in a heavier purpose, especially for right now, given where we're at Jonathan Edward. The song is called Sunshine. It's not really about sunshine, and sunshine would make you think it's kind of a happy little song, right. But it has a deeper meaning than that. It's a message that rings true right now.
Speaker 1: More than ever At this point in time. I'm going to get some haters here. Uh-oh, I never really liked Elvis.
Speaker 2: Oh well, probably polarizing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have some respect for him and what he did and I feel bad for the way his life ended and how the entertainment industry ruined a really beautiful person.
Speaker 2: Yeah See, my dad practically worshiped him, so my influence of liking Elvis would be because of my folk, Cause they did as you know. I have the records to prove it.
Speaker 1: So and see that's, that's kind of difference about our upbringing, right? You grew up in a more country, farm kind of community, so someone playing an acoustic guitar and singing, which is what your dad did right with your mom fits, yeah, my dad like frank sinatra. Yeah, and we grew up on the east Coast in a big city and my dad wanted to sing and look and be like Frank Sinatra.
Speaker 2: Right, it's funny because even though you and I are the same age, what you tell me about your folks is more like I mean that stuff you know, the around the house kind of things, and the culture, the culture of it, the culture of your upbringing, the East Coast culture that's like yeah, well, the family culture that's like my culture was with my grandparents. Like, what you say your mom cooked is what my grandma cooked. What you say your dad's music was that he listened to. That's what my grandpa listened to. So that's funny because we are the same age. Well, I think your folks might have been a little older maybe than my folks were maybe let's see we're both exactly the same age, right, my mom. She was born in 32 my mom was born in 1938 okay, so your parents are six years younger than my parents.
Speaker 1: See in 1971. See In 1971, I knew the song. Never listened to it Thought it was schmaltzy, and then I heard it again. And there's a new trend now where a lot of very good songs are being re-recorded by unknown artists. They're doing covers of the original songs and some of these artists are amazing.
Speaker 2: When I listened to this song the first time, it just took me back Right, If somebody sings it like they mean it and then you tune into the words and you feel like you're feeling what they mean, that the words are saying to them, then that's moving, are saying to them, then that's moving.
Speaker 1: And the song is called Can't Help Falling in Love with you.
Speaker 2: Which some people might think is I can't help falling in love with you.
Speaker 1: Right. That song to me represents one of the feelings you have when you fall in love with somebody.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not that you're falling in love with them, it's that you can't not fall in love.
Speaker 2: You can't help. It's like it's predestined. See, that's from Blue Hawaii, right.
Speaker 1: Don't ask me, I've never seen an Elvis movie.
Speaker 2: So I've seen that movie a lot of times with my dad.
Speaker 1: So would you say our songs are similar.
Speaker 2: Well, they both have a meaning, a deep meaning and it's changed. It changed. This last little part is going to be chop, chop, chop. But that'll be easy because it's a lot to cut. You have a lot to cut. You know, when my dad was younger and had hair, he combed it into a little Elvis pompadour. That's how much he liked Elvis Wow.
Speaker 1: You know, my favorite part of this episode is or was is your stories about your childhood. Oh, you're a great storyteller. You remember the details.
Speaker 2: Now that's probably two things. That's a two storyteller and you remember the details. Now that's probably two things, that's a two thing thing. I'll say this, and then we got to go, we got to go, we have to go.
Speaker 1: I'm only keeping the most important.
Speaker 2: Okay, and that is this that standing behind the chair doing hair probably cultivates most of us that did that into a great storyteller, because you're not just providing that service, you're also entertaining the person that's in the chair. Many of us became great, I'm sure, and it still happens, become great storytellers. The other thing is to teach school, if you really want to teach kids and have them listen to you. They don't want to just hear about the facts and the figures. They want something they can relate to. You got to accompany your educational stuff with some stories and that's what they will remember.
Speaker 1: There's an art and a finesse to storytelling, and part of it is withholding certain pieces until the right time. The other thing is being focused and telling a continuous story. Right, you can't get off track too much. So we're going to wrap up this episode. Okay, it's been more fun than I thought. I saw the plan, I mean I'm looking at it. We don't have Trello or anything. You have one of those old flip maps. Hey, we're old guys, we just write on a big piece of paper. So here's a flip map and it says da-da, da-da, da-da, da-da, da-da.
Speaker 2: We got through a couple of those things. We'll save the rest of them for another time.
Speaker 1: Yeah absolutely Stay you, oh no, thank you. I want to say thank you, Casey, for accepting me as I am, which is really hard these days because it's changing so fast.
Speaker 2: Well, that's what friends do, isn't that what a friend is?
Speaker 1: But I always thought, when we got older we'd have our really good friends. Yeah, and we would just be better friends. I didn't realize my life was going to change so much that to stay a friend with me requires a lot of effort, and you do that and I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you. Well, thank you. And the thing is that the circle of friends gets smaller the older you get, and because all of us develop our idiosyncrasies and some people are willing to put up with that and others are not, whatever they might be. So that's what friends are.
Speaker 1: I know it's hard for you sometimes, that's what friends are for.
Speaker 2: Are you finished? I'm finished. Are you finished? Not yet. Until next time, remember to be kind and, like us, keep it enormous, enormous, just enormous. This podcast is a proud member of the Pride 48 Podcasting Network.
Speaker 1: Check out more great shows at pride48.com. Are you finished? Not yet.
Speaker 2: You know, when my dad was younger and had hair, he combed it into a little Elvis pompadour. That's how much he liked Elvis.
Speaker 1: Wow, now I'm finished.