Harley: You know I come pretty well armed because Maxine was a cleaning queen. A besides her use of tinfoil cleaning was probably her most famous activity. !
KC: (Enormous nd, this is Enormous With your hosts Harley and KC) KC. .. and and it's counting.
Harley: Well, just a moment ago I cut you off.
KC: You were telling me a story about your brother and we were talking about I just sent you a video of an accident on the way over here and I said maybe I sent it to the wrong person, oh, which I didn't get, or maybe I didn't, I just wasn't paying attention. I said I did it to my brother like a week ago because Mr was still up in the bed watching a cooking channel in the morning, and so sometimes he's well, most of the time he's very lucky he gets coffee delivered to bed. So I sent him a text I said want some more coffee honey With the little happy face with the hearts around it.
Harley: And I didn't hear back for a little while.
KC: And then I did, and all I got was a picture of a can of Mountain Dew. Well then I realized that my brother in the Midwest doesn't drink coffee. He gets his caffeine by way of Mountain Dew. So I sent my brother the want some more coffee. Heart face emoji.
Harley: How funny, instead of to Mr I do that all the time I've said some embarrassing things to people.
KC: I think I only did that once. That was a real bad one.
Harley: I did it twice. It was real bad to the same person.
KC: Really.
Harley: Yeah, and they're good friends of ours. Well, at least that's good. Then, yeah, and he said well, now I've got something to hold against you at the right time.
KC: I really don't know how this happened. One time I sent an email like, forwarded an email from oh, mr S Leather or Fort Trough or one of those, so you know, heavy on the dildos and cock rings and whatever pictures in this email. It got forwarded to one of my teachers at school. Oh, no. And I somehow noticed it or right away realized it, whatever I mean. So you can't get an email back. You can now kind of sort of, but not really, because it's only for a second that you're able to get those back. But back then there wasn't even that option. So I mean, I had no choice. I just called her and said please don't open that email. Listen to me when I say to you don't open that email, just delete it. It was an accident and if you do open it, you know sorry, but that's your own fault. I told you don't open it and she said she told me later she deleted it and didn't look at it. So I don't know if she did or she didn't, but but she wasn't going to hold that against you anyway, I guess not.
Harley: So last week we got together and we recorded a great episode.
KC: We thought so anyway.
Harley: Yeah.
KC: In our mind's eye.
Harley: it was the best one we've ever recorded, and on the way over here I was listening to Kathy Bacon's.
KC: How long does it go? Everything goes, it's all different things.
Harley: I don't remember ever hearing that many things before. Last week we recorded a full episode.
KC: We were so proud of ourselves there, see, see, I told you about two minutes behind well, I'm just gonna keep talking, go ahead.
Harley: I, I can't, I can't keep remembering the same thing.
KC: Ambiance like the situation.
Harley: it sounds like we're in a clock shop in the mall you are are, doesn't it A Disney shop? Or something Uh-huh, uh-huh.
KC: Now we're going to know what time it is. This sounds ominous, because it'll strike off the 11, so Yep.
Harley: By the last call. Your world will become fantasy, yes, reality as you know. It will disappear and your life will look like a holodeck.
KC: Ooh, I'm starting to feel that way already. I think it's reality. As you know, it will disappear and your life will look like a holodeck. I'm starting to feel that way already. I think it's coming true.
Harley: I know I gotta start one more time, there we go. There we go. That's funny, that's really funny. I mean the third start because of all the clocks thinking that it was done and then they kept going again. So last week we recorded a full episode. We thought it was really good. We'd release it easily, required very little editing except for, you know, an intro and outro and maybe a couple of transitions.
KC: When we finished and I was getting ready to upload it so we could listen to it- you had brought your laptop, so we were going to stick the SD card in your laptop and download it there, because that's where you have the software for the editing Right, because editing is 100% your part I wouldn't be good at it, so that's not my job and so when we stuck it in, there was almost exactly 20 minutes worth of recording, even though that we had just talked our asses off. For what? An hour and a half to two hours.
Harley: Oh no, it was probably a little over an hour.
KC: Oh, I think it was an hour and a half easy. Oh, really, by watching the. Yeah, looking at the time last week, well shoot that would have been like three episodes. We could have cut it into more than one. We could have serialized it.
Harley: It would have saved so much work. On the way over here I was listening to Kathy Bacon and apparently she did something like that too and had some kind of technical difficulties. It happens Every mistake you can make, you make.
KC: We lost one before, or maybe more than once. We've just lost an episode it didn't record I don't know how else to say it. We lost it. Is this one recording? So let's see, because I got a new card in there.
Harley: Oh, it should be fine. It says we are going at 8 minutes and 22 seconds. So the oh, it should be fine that we just you know, you pop a card into the recorder and we start, and we just assume that it's going to get the whole episode while we filled up the card. So it just stopped.
KC: It just stopped Now why doesn't this Zoom PodTrak P4 make a noise? It seems to me it'd be really easy to build in a little beep that if you're recording and the recording stops and the machine stops, that you just get a little audible beep to let you know that.
Harley: I wonder if any. Wouldn't that be nice, yeah, do any of them do that?
KC: I don't know. That would be really nice. It doesn't seem like that's a hard thing. No, you wouldn't think so To do yeah. So, anyway, we've bought new SD cards, now a couple new ones.
Harley: So I keep telling myself that this is not my brain getting older, this is not seniorizing my life, this is just. We have so many things on our mind. There is so much going on right now that we just can't can't keep track of everything Right.
KC: Our brains just aren't designed that way, right, well, and we should have went with our first instinct because we kind of said should we reformat it?
Harley: And then we kind of said, no, it's okay. And so we did say it.
KC: But we didn't do it, and by not doing it we kind of devalued the time we spent on it. We lost something that was good, but we have memories. It was the best one ever. It was the best one.
Harley: Of course, it's always the one that got away.
KC: You know why I didn't feel bad about it? Why? Because of Kathy. Because I know. You know she'll just throw one in the trash now and then if she doesn't feel it, if she's not feeling it, she'll throw it out.
Harley: So I just told myself oh well, it was actually Kathy Bacon who gave us the permission to just say just because you recorded it doesn't mean you have to use it, right? That's great. Thank you, kathy. Today is the 10th anniversary of gay marriage being legal. Oh, that's right. I should see that so. Happy pride, happy pride, happy marriage. I'm glad that you and your husband are happy and me and my husband are happy. Yeah, when I was sitting here listening to your story about your brother and how you take coffee to Mr in the morning while he watches cooking shows and stuff, I thought, boy, wouldn't the conservatives of this country be really upset to know that we do boring stuff like that.
KC: We're just living a simple, boring, normal life, married life, uh-huh, yeah. Well, you gave me that table. What do you call that with the beanbag? Kind of like a lap desk.
Harley: Oh yeah, a lap desk Kind of thing, Uh-huh.
KC: So and I've never used it. He uses it. Nice. He puts that on the bed with his iPad and his phone and his cooking channel. It's perfect. And he'll spend I don't know an hour, maybe in the morning, awake but watching the cooking channel and having coffee and catching up on the news and whatever else it is he does. It sounds lovely.
Harley: If he was inspired, he could start a whole breakfast club where, through maybe a Zoom meeting or something, there could be a group of people sort of together in bed watching a show and talking about it.
KC: That's what's happening and then ultimately, of course, we should say my side is then I get my own slow wake up downtime, have coffee without commotion. That way too, Because I'll have my coffee and listen to a podcast and do the Wordle and do the connection and that sort of stuff. You don't have to have the same routine, Right? So we'd have a separate routine and that's kind of a good thing probably.
Harley: Do you think video podcasts are now the thing? It seems like that's the next big thing, everyone's adding a camera. I'm not going to yeah.
KC: I don't think Well, we're just too old.
Harley: We'll put it like that yeah Well, maybe you want to get older, even Older, even I'll add a camera.
KC: Okay, so well, we better catch everybody up. Where have we been?
Harley: Where have we been? Well, I haven't been anywhere, except for work.
KC: Yeah, You've been well and a lot of things work, and work, and work. Work here work there, work at home.
Harley: But I don't really even go into work anymore, hardly except for weekends.
KC: But you're working from home. You're still working. True, I'm working hard, yeah.
Harley: Yep and I was working on the townhouse.
KC: We're of a good age, you know we have that good work ethic. You know the kids they just don't want to work anymore.
Harley: Wait a minute. Didn't I hear that somewhere in that article of 11 things that Gen Zers hate baby boomers to say?
KC: I'm going to throw all them all in today, all those things, oh you are. I'm going to try to.
Harley: So this is a test for anybody listening, if they can pick up the baby boomer expressions.
KC: Yep, and you know what? If you can't, then it's all right, because it is what it is.
Harley: Yeah well, those are expressions that back in my day we've already got three checked off the list, that's true. What got me thinking about that was I heard an announcer talk about um that expression cool beans, oh yeah, they said, if you want to date yourself and seem really, really old and have gen z, or really pissed off at you just say, oh cool beans, the eye roll yeah, I never said that one.
KC: I don't like, I never cared for that one, I don't know why, but it just it wasn't appealing to me. So tell me it's just saying cool, okay, cool's okay. Why beans? I don't I, I just I. Why beans? I don't I, I just I never got it.
Harley: No, I don't even like cool beans.
KC: I used to work with a woman that claimed that she, uh, she, invented happy camper. Uh, really, yeah, did we talk?
Harley: about that before? No, okay.
KC: Yeah, Somebody I worked with many years ago in the, in the salon. So before teaching and before a lot of things I worked with somebody and she said everybody says happy camper. Now I invented that, I said it first.
Harley: She might have, I don't know.
KC: Yeah, somebody had to say something first. Right, there was something. Somebody had to say something first.
Harley: Right, there was something. I said something once that I think maybe got translated into a popular thing. But I mean, there's so many people in the world how many billion people, right that you know. If somebody says something new, like I don't know what, well, like cool beans or happy camper, 10 people could be saying it at exactly the same moment.
KC: Sure sure, is that part of the butterfly effect? No, what is there's a name for that? Actually, things happening simultaneously around the world. It's not isolated, right? It can happen in more than one place at one time, right?
Harley: Well, I think we go through phases with words where sometimes there's a whole bunch of new ones that you start to notice, and then you sort of get used to everything. Lately there have been tons of new ones that have sort of been getting on my nerves, okay. Do we need to unpack that. We need to unpack that just a little bit. We don't have to talk for an hour on it, but just unpack it a little bit. The words that I know and everybody knows, but they're being used in a different way. I guess that's it. So the word agency I always thought it had to do with an advertising firm.
KC: I thought that was the FBI was an agency.
Harley: Yeah, and the insurance agency yeah, so agency now is being used constantly. If you listen to any interviews, on any podcasts or news shows, somebody will mention the word agency. And what's the context? The context is well, I don't think that group of people really has agency, so belonging to them or something right Power control something like that. What's another one?
KC: Well, I get triggered by woke, because, you know, Jane Fonda said if being woke means being kind, then I guess I'm woke and I agree with her.
Harley: Yeah, woke is being weaponized.
KC: Oh yeah, there you go Two.
Harley: Yeah, woke is being weaponized.
KC: Oh yeah, there you go, two of them, two of them in one sentence, in one sentence, yeah.
Harley: I was listening to a podcast. It's Ezra Klein and he interviews Maggie I think her name's Maggie. She's a senator from Delaware, I believe, okay, and she is the first trans Senator ever and, uh, he does a great interview. But starting at about an hour or an hour and yeah, just past an hour it gets really, really good and I have to say it changed my attitude about trans people.
KC: Oh, wow, okay, good, and I have to say it changed my attitude about trans people.
Harley: She is so well-spoken and makes so much sense without being in your face or sort of defensive in any way. I really admire this woman?
KC: Did you have an attitude of not understanding, or what was your?
Harley: That was part of it Not understanding and I guess what sort of went on to that is, why go through all this? Okay, you know, why not just lead your life the way you want and you know, do whatever you want and why push these things? And as I started to hear her and the way she described the feeling that she had inside, she did it so eloquently. I was just, I was really taken aback and it has changed my whole perspective of the whole trans. I don't want to say movement because it makes it sound temporary. But you know trans people starting to come into their own now. What have you been up to lately? How have you been spending your time? Seems like time just is flying by.
KC: It is flying by really bad. Well, last week we were, of course, camping, and how was it this time?
Harley: It was nice, it was good. Are you getting into routine and sort of?
KC: We're really pretty quick at the setup and the teardown now.
Harley: So you have to find roles and you each have your own tasks. Yeah, that's definitely the best way to do it what brings you the most pleasure of doing these sort of not far away from home camping trips.
KC: There's something about it. I don't exactly know what it is, but there's something Like you're a kid playing house or treehouse or something like that. Is it relaxing?
Harley: It's relaxing and not quite real Do you still look at your phone and watch television and do all the stuff that you normally do Sometimes, but not as much.
KC: Oh, really yeah.
Harley: What are you doing when you're not doing those things that you normally do?
KC: Maybe listen to music or read. We do play a card game occasionally. Oh nice Mexican Train, which is an odd name for a game, but that's the name of the game. Or just sit and do nothing, which is so hard to do these days, and it's good for you. Sometimes you actually just need to sit and do nothing.
Harley: I had that experience yesterday and it was so memorable.
KC: It tells me oh, don't do that, Right right.
Harley: You know I'm trying to sell the townhome. Yes, Last week, the end of last week, we noticed that the air conditioning had quit. I thought, oh great, you know, it's 20 years old or 25 years old. We're going to have to put in a brand new air conditioner. It's going to be, you know, four or $5,000 trying to sell this house. Already we're not collecting any income on it because we're trying to sell it, it's, it's empty, it's empty. Yeah, and we don't live there. I contacted the company that put in the air conditioner originally and they're still around, oh, wow. Okay, because I didn't want to do one of those companies that advertises online because they have these fees and clubs and overpriced and then discount. It's very confusing. I just wanted a repair person to come out and fix it or replace it, whatever was necessary. So they gave me a window of one to five, and that meant that I had to be available, not at the property, because it's just a few minutes from where we live, sure, but I had to be available for the tech when he finished his previous job and was headed towards my place.
KC: Yeah.
Harley: I got there early and there's nothing there.
KC: I was just going to say you don't have internet anymore there, or there's no. The electricity's on, I would imagine, but there's no television, no radio, no air conditioning. Yeah, no air conditioning. So but what there is. There's a washer dryer. Still right, there's a washer. You could have taken a load of laundry and done it, I guess.
Harley: I should have we set up the bonus room on the first floor to look like a podcasting studio.
KC: Yeah, that's a good space for that, so that looks cool.
Harley: I'd love to record over there. At the rate this is selling, I think we might have that We'll get the opportunity we might have that opportunity. But there might have that opportunity. But uh, there is. There are two chairs and two footstools on the balcony on the second floor and so I opened up the patio doors and yesterday was a cooler day compared to last week I don't know, in the shade it was probably 75. I put the cushions on the chairs and just sat back and relaxed and thought I should have brought my laptop I've got work to do. And then I texted Sarge and said what was going on and he said enjoy the free moment, don't try to do any work, just enjoy being quiet and still, yeah, that's good actually I did that for like 15 minutes and it felt incredible.
KC: Well, if you had, the trees are right out front of that balcony there and the rustling of the leaves and stuff. It's a city home.
Harley: Yes, there was a quiet sort of city sound. Sure, you know people walking down the sidewalk having conversations or a milkman truck you know driving by, or you know cars coming and going. You know driving by or you know cars coming and going and I could smell the local restaurants because the place is really close to you know all kinds of restaurants and clubs and things like that. It was really really enjoyable. That's nice that ate up my whole afternoon. Yeah, I mean, I don't think the repair guy left until after six. I stopped at the hardware store on the way home and it was 630 by the time I got home.
KC: Well, we probably need to build that into our routines again. It's a time of doing nothing. That's what it made me realize. Yeah, but if I was going to be doing something, I know what I'd be doing and I know probably what you'd do too. It's our favorite thing. We get so excited when we talk about it Cleaning yes, no, would excited when we talk about it cleaning yes, no, would you. Yeah, don't. But but I don't mean like you know, oh, I'm gonna clean house today. That's, you know, you and I. That's not what we do. We're, we're like oh, I'm gonna clean the shower today. And then we, we use every lotion and every potion and every device and every machine and every I don't know, you know, thing you can possibly think of, to the glass cleaner and the wall cleaner and the chrome cleaner, and all of it.
Harley: You know I come pretty well armed because Maxine was a cleaning queen and besides her use of tinfoil, cleaning was probably her most famous activity. Yeah, she cleaned gossips.
KC: Right, it's funny because I think it skips a generation, I think, but for you it didn't, because you took it on, but see for me, my mom was not a cleaner at all. No, she was outside with the horses all the time.
Harley: So it's the grandmother with the little aprons.
KC: So my grandmother with all the aprons? Definitely, Well, that's what she did. That was her lifetime job. Was the housekeeper Do?
Harley: you remember seeing her clean as a young kid.
KC: Yes, always. And what did she do If she wasn't cleaning, she was cooking. She didn't sit and watch television or listen to the radio. I would see her sit at her desk and write, because she kept in spiral notebooks, she kept journals. Wow, she wrote. I guess do you call that a journal? She just wrote kind of what she did every day or who stopped by or whatever, yeah.
Harley: I bet she also never missed a birthday or an anniversary or a holiday.
KC: She knew them in her head. I may have said this before on the podcast, I don't know, but I sat with her and got all my family's birthdays and anniversaries and whatever. She just recited them. She recited them out of her head. I wrote it all down. I'd ask her everybody's name and she'd recite it out of her head what day and what year people were born or got married or whatever it was in her head.
Harley: I don't even know the year my parents were born. I would have to think about it and look it up.
KC: Right, that's a great skill. And somebody might think, well, she was unskilled because she was just a housewife and a homemaker. But you know, that's quite a skill to have that memory of all that in your head. She knew everybody's phone numbers too Because you know, back then you called people on the rotary telephone. She knew everybody's phone number.
Harley: And you know what's interesting about the rotary telephone. It's a little bit that way with a push button, but not as much. I remember numbers better on the rotary phone than on a push button phone or the mobile phones that we use Because of the physical motion. Yeah, there was something physical and visual both. If there was a zero, you had to wait really long For the physical motion.
KC: Yeah, there was something physical and visual both.
Harley: If there was a zero, you had to wait really long For the next number. If there was a one, it was almost instantaneous.
KC: Do you remember that? Yeah, I do the sound.
Harley: Yeah, I do you know? There's kind of a smooth if you stuck your finger in the one hole, if you stuck your finger in the one hole and your other finger no, if you stuck your finger in the zero hole and you brought your finger all the way around like a clock, right to where it stopped. There's a little guard there.
KC: It was kind of quiet it made kind of a winding sound almost, and then when you let it go, it'd go yeah, it had a click and it would count out however many 10 clicks probably right.
Harley: 10 for when you did the one uh-huh, you didn't have to go all the way around it was right next to where the stop was the little stopper, yeah. So it was very quick, so it was very easy to say oh yeah, I remember that number because there's three zeros in it.
KC: Did you ever make a mistake and have to hang up and start over? Yeah, or did you ever kind of start to spin it around, but I don't know, whatever your finger, it just didn't work right, so you let go of it or whatever, and then you have to hang up and start over again.
Harley: And the most desired phone numbers by businesses were the smallest numbers.
KC: Yeah.
Harley: So if you were a business and you had 4321, or 1122 or something like that, because it was so fast to dial. Yes, that was, that was desirable, right, but you didn't pay for those numbers. You, just when you got your new phone service, you just said what numbers are available, yeah, and they would let you know. Yep, now I think you pay for.
KC: Yeah, I'm sure you would have to pay for a specific number. Yeah, yeah, well, well, and then it's still a thing, and maybe I don't know if we talk about it much anymore, but the letters that are associated with a particular number, I guess that's still a something. I don't know if I even really pay any attention to that on my cell phone keypad. Yeah, they're still there.
Harley: Before they had these fancy smartphones and they just had the little Nokias and the little flip phones and things.
KC: Texting was done. That's how you texted. You had to hit the specific number however many times to get there. It was almost automatic. We had it figured out for a while, yeah, now I forgot it all. Yeah, me too.
Harley: Yeah, but when my mother would clean you know, if she was cleaning a telephone, for example, those old phones the receivers were heavy, heavy and they had little holes where the ear was a small little, you know, like a few, five or six little holes where the ear was and then where the microphone would be, that was all covered with these deep holes. Well, that's a place for germs, sure. So my mother would unscrew right, you could screw the the caps, so she would unscrew the microphone part of the phone and put it in the sink with a brush, like a bottle brush or something, and wash it, because those little holes would get dirty and have bacteria in them. So I got to try all of my cleaning techniques that I had learned from my mother on the townhome, getting it ready for the first open house.
KC: That's a great time to clean, when it's kind of emptied out. There's not so much stuff in the way, yeah. But I have a couple tips.
Harley: You do Uh-huh From Maxine. Okay, maxine had two tricks in the bathroom. There was a product on the market I don't know if it's still there. It was called Jubilee Kitchen Wax. I've heard of it, but I don't know if it's still around either. It was basically a liquid cleaner that had a wax in it, I guess, and so when you scrub the countertops or the stove or something, you could use this wax on it. It would make it shiny, get all the fingerprints and stuff off and it would keep it cleaner longer, because it was kind of slick, right. So I thought of that when I was cleaning the bathtub. It's a fiberglass tub. It's 20 years old, yeah, it's oval and it wasn't very shiny. So I took some car wax that I had purchased from Amazon. It's manufactured by a company called the Chemical Brothers, yeah, Do you know that company? I've seen it Great products Buy anything, they make it. Do you know that company? I've seen it. Great products, buy anything, they make. It's wonderful, but it's a spray, instant carnauba wax, yeah, so I spray this carnauba wax on the inside of the bathtub and just wiped it down and it shined like a brand new car. I didn't put it on the bottom. So here's the tip Don't put it on. It's really slippery. If you put it on the bottom you're going to kill somebody. But if you can keep it on the sides, where some people don't step, it was so beautiful. The drawback was it smelled like a car wash place for about two days, but at least it smelled clean, right, or you smelled like a surfer, their surfboard, their carnauba. That's what it smelled like. So that's a tip for Maxine. She used the Jubilee wax, but I use Carnuba car wax from the Chemical Brothers. And then the other tip was Clorox. There were a couple of places on the grout that had a little bit of mold stain or something, and my mother would go in the shower stall with a glass of Clorox and a toothbrush and scrub the grout with a toothbrush and pure Clorox. I'm sure it led to her early death. She died quite young. I blame it on Clorox.
KC: Yeah, well it happens. I may have said before that one of my clients, her husband, just about killed himself because he thought he was doing her a favor. She wasn't home. She came home and found him passed out in the bathroom and he was hospitalized because he had mixed bleach and ammonia. That is bad. That makes a lethal fume.
Harley: And ammonia used to be a very typical household cleaning product.
KC: Sure.
Harley: And now it's sort of done away with. Little Bo Peep. Remember that brand? I remember Little Bo Peep. Remember that brand, little. Bo Peep I remember Little Bo Peep? Do you remember sudsing ammonia?
KC: Yes, I do.
Harley: It just was regular ammonia that they just put some soap in, I guess Well, I think the thing was you'd use that wax on your floor.
KC: See how excited we get about cleaning, we just love it. You'd use that wax on your floor and then you'd get a wax buildup, so you'd need to then counter that with the ammonia cleaner, to take the old wax off so you could put new wax on.
Harley: Back to the Clorox. I went into the bathroom and I took a toothbrush and dipped it in Clorox and scrubbed the grout Instantly clean. Only I had the exhaust fan on. It was an open large room and I only stayed in there a minute at the very most, so I didn't take any chances and it was fun. I spent about a week deep cleaning that place.
KC: Yeah, that's my kind of cleaning.
Harley: One more Maxine transition. She used a toothbrush. Yes, what I didn't say is I say my old Sonicare toothbrush heads. Yes, you can basically take off your good one that you brush your teeth with set it aside take an old one and use that for cleaning. Oh man, is that exciting.
KC: Now, I sent you that link. Did you get that? That you could order one for $30? Yeah, did you order one? No, because I have an old hat you do. Oh, okay, I ordered one so I could have my own set aside cleaning.
Harley: Do you have?
KC: it? No, it hasn't come yet.
Harley: Well, try it with Bon Ami powdered cleanser.
KC: Oh yeah, or soft scrub. Yeah, I have soft scrub.
Harley: And you can get all around the knobs and the faucet on the bathroom sinks that get the hard water stain from our Colorado mineralized water.
KC: One more cleaning thing, and that is one of my clients, eileen. I'd cut her hair and color it and so forth, but she'd come every week and get rollers put in her hair and quite frequently I didn't take them out or comb it out. She'd still sit under the dryer here, but then she'd go home with the rollers in her hair and take them out later. It kept her due fresher if she was going out.
Harley: Yeah, she wanted it to last hair and take them out later.
KC: It kept her due fresher yeah.
Harley: Yeah, she wanted to last Yep and uh.
KC: But you know often if I had she was supposed to be sitting under the dryer and I would have maybe another client for a haircut or whatever She'd cut, she'd go through the door that goes from the salon to the house.
Harley: I'd, you know, find her in the house of folding my laundry, or yeah, my underwear, whatever, but she didn't care, like your grandmother, totally that what she did.
KC: Totally that. So she told me about Super Clean and literally when you spray that on something, you kind of cough and choke a little bit. Oh really.
Harley: So it's a strong chemical. Is it like oven cleaner? It's almost that strong why do they put in oven cleaner? I don't know. Yeah, that's the worst. You got to spray and run.
KC: Right, right, but anyway, the Super Clean definitely does like the top of the. We have the glass top stove or whatever. If you get little splattered grease spots on there and spray some of that, it cuts it right off of there.
Harley: I have one more thing, and it's a safety warning. Okay, do not ever get any type of furniture polish or spray wax on a hardwood floor or linoleum floor, because if somebody walks through in their socks or they have dry bare feet, they are going down baby.
KC: Unless you want to do the Tom Cruise risky business dance move sliding across the floor.
Harley: Yeah, only he was upright. I don't know how many times I've lost it on a slippery floor. I walk out of the bedroom or the bathroom and there's a little bit of exposed hardwood floor and wham.
KC: I did it. I used something one time on a steering wheel.
Harley: You couldn't hold on to it and I couldn't hold on to it.
KC: It was very dangerous. The steering wheel was too slippery.
Harley: That was like the bathtub I waxed. If you had to hold onto the bathtub on the side, you would not be holding onto it, right? But the water beads up and that means the soap water beads up.
KC: It's really great.
Harley: Yeah, that is great. We should probably do that all the time.
KC: Cleaning. We need a cleaning segment, a regular cleaning segment.
Harley: We need a cleaning segment. I think we should still. Oh, thanks to Maxine. You know my Southern mom who really, really was a great mom.
KC: Yeah, yeah, I like that.
Harley: That's a good way to do it. Well, you can write a bumper, because you're the music guy. Okay, speaking of music, yes, do you have a song for the soundtrack of our life? We haven't done this in so long. It sounds weird saying that.
KC: Oh, we haven't done it in a while. I always have a little ongoing well, I shouldn't say always, but I almost always have an ongoing list. So yes, I do.
Harley: And what is your song for today, Mr Casey?
KC: My soundtrack song for this week is, of course, one that I chose last week, that we didn't get to use.
Harley: So we're trying to make it fresh oh sorry, rewind all that. And we're totally lying through our teeth.
KC: I chose the Wichita Lineman by Glen Campbell and I said, to your surprise, that I loved that song.
Harley: Yeah, I was surprised by that.
KC: I like the words, it's very genuine. My favorite line of many love song kind of songs is in that song I need you more than want you and I want you for all time. Yeah, it's just a good, it's a really good line and it ties in with our telephone talk a little bit. In what way? Well, telephone lines, oh right, sure, yeah, because the Wichita lineman could have been an electrical lineman or he could have been a telephone lineman.
Harley: And see, I related to it a little differently. Okay, I related to it. I sort of put that what do you call it when you say one thing and it means something else. I sort of took that song and my father became the Wichita Lion man. Okay, the guy who couldn't get away from work. Oh, yes, you know it's sunny today, so I better do as much work as I can. Oh, it's snowing today. I've got to help these people get their wires back in shape. And sort of neglecting his partner, the love of his life, and trying to make up for it in a song. Yeah, but that's the way I kind of look at it.
KC: Oh, see, and I just hear it that he's working so hard but he wants to go home.
Harley: Listen to it again and listen to it a different way and listen to it as the part that he's married more to his song than the love of his life. Okay, it changes Okay yeah, you could Well.
KC: Any song you might put your own, bent on the lyrics that you hear and what that means to you really Well, I know you've heard this before, but our listeners didn't.
Harley: Wichita Lineman was on one of my first three albums. For Christmas one year I got a GE stereo record player. It looked like a small suitcase and it was a hard case. And you folded down the front and the turntable was right in the center and the speakers were built in the side. All you could do is plug it in and stick a record on it and adjust the volume and tone or bass and treble or something like that, and that was about it. But so that was on a best of no, it wasn't. What was the name of the album? I can see it in my mind. Anyway, it was a Glen Campbell album that my dad liked and gave to me, along with the well Santa did, I guess along with his stereo. I was probably 13, 12, 13, 14 years old.
KC: Yeah, and so I listened to that song a lot. Santa gave you your first record player. Mm-hmm no he gave me my first record player. Did he Too? Yes, he did. How old were you when you got music? I was verging on the edge of being too old and not necessarily believing anymore being too old and not necessarily believing anymore. But when we came home from Grandma and Grandpa's house and there was that record player, stereo set up it was on one of those metal stands, you know, with the little rack underneath of it to put record albums. Mine folded down from the front, the record player and the speakers folded out of the back of it, so you could fold it all up and carry it around too, or you could put it on this stand. Anyway, it was set up next to the tree and the record was playing, and it was at the beginning of a record album, so apparently Santa just left right before we got there.
Harley: Do you remember what record album was playing?
KC: I don't, but I think it was CCR Creighton's Clearwater Revival. Yeah, I think so.
Harley: It wasn't like some. No, I was going to say Bill Cosby Christmas Music.
KC: My dad loved CCR, so see, that should have been my first clue of who started that record. Right, Because he loved them.
Harley: Well, santa brought it to me, but I knew that Santa was not real because I had found it many months ahead, hidden in the back of a closet. Okay, when I was trying to figure out if Santa was real and what I was going to get, I will never spoil a surprise for myself, ever again.
KC: Right? Well, yeah, when you grow up you find out you want all that back. We don't want to lose all that whimsy and magic. We'd like to have it back. One more thing about Wichita Lineman, written by Jimmy Webb. We should say that, oh, he wrote a lot of stuff, didn't he Up up and away. By the time I get to Phoenix, macarthur Park, the worst thing could happen. Galveston, oh Galveston. A lot of songs with really good melodies and great lyrics.
Harley: You know the worst thing about visiting Galveston, Texas.
KC: What.
Harley: Is the second. You see that city limit sign, you start singing that song and it becomes an earworm until the following day it's terrible, Speaking of earworms. That's going to be my song for this episode.
KC: Oh, one that's given you one recently, oh man.
Harley: I can't get rid of it, day after day, week after week.
KC: And it's a good one If you listen to it. You can't make it go away by finally listening to it.
Harley: It just makes it worse. Oh okay, yep, so this one is by Chapel Roan, can you guess?
KC: what the name of the song is. I sure can, because it definitely Well, I would say a couple of her songs will stick with you. She's got the formula, she has it figured out, so they will kind of stick with you. And her debut album with all those great songs on it, that's an amazing thing actually. She's actually kind of amazing. But I'm sure you're going to pick Pink Pony Cock.
Harley: Pink Pony Club.
KC: Thank you very much Dirty old man.
Harley: And I really like it, and you sent me a recording by oh yes, who was the guy who was playing it.
KC: It was Keith Urban. He's in an interview, yep. And he just did it, he just picks up the guitar and kind of starts doing it in his Keith Urban style of doing things, and that's the other to me. I sent it to you because that's the other amazing thing about that song is that someone else could do it in a different kind of a way.
Harley: Right.
KC: And it still works. It still works out. He sounded great singing it.
Harley: Well, when I heard him do it, I was moved by the lyrics and the sentiment and realized that it related to me, that it's all about finding our people, yes, and feeling safe Totally that and protected and loved, loved and how amazing that is when you finally get that.
KC: I remember my first gay bar experience and going in there and literally I mean this is how good is this? This is good going in there. One of the really honestly, truly first songs I heard was that's the best how pretty.
Harley: Is that for you? That's the best.
KC: And I was there and I saw these boys and girls and girly boys and boyish girls, and it was so okay.
Harley: Yeah.
KC: Like it didn't scare me or make me feel bad or whatever. I felt like I belonged there.
Harley: Somehow I finally found my place, I feel sorry for the young people and they have a big responsibility because they have to carry on the torch. They have to keep saying we're here and you're not going to make us disappear. We're not going anyplace, just deal with it.
KC: We were just talking about this earlier, how we can look at every decade and figure out what the issues were and the unrest and and, uh, what, what was done? Yeah to to overcome that, and so it's happened before. It'll happen again.
Harley: It's happening right now, over and over yeah, I'm so excited about the, the, all these creative people and tick tock, tick tock and youtube have just brought creativity out of these young people.
KC: And it's very exciting.
Harley: One more thing I wanted to say about Pink Pony Club. Oh yeah, so I love Pink Pony Club. When you sent me that Keith Urban version of it acoustic, I loved it even more, so go ahead and listen to it if you haven't heard it already.
KC: Oh, everybody's heard it, I think, whether they well wasn't there. There was TikToks and so forth going around of dads singing it. Remember that when it first came out? Oh yeah, you can find out all the, all these men singing Pink Pony Club, gay dads or straight dads, just dads.
Harley: Oh, just dads.
KC: Uh-huh Nice.
Harley: All the dads.
KC: Nice.
Harley: That sounds funny, all of the dads. Well, do you think we got enough to call it an episode this week? Yep. I think, that that'll do it. I just want everybody to remember that it's tough for everyone right now. So just hold on for the ride and eventually, just like your body, will kick a virus out because it's building up antibodies. We're going to build antibodies in life and we're going to get through this and, whatever the bad feelings are, it's going to be part of the past. Kick out the virus. Hey, that's a good one.
KC: Write that down. That's a T-shirt. Yeah, I'll make it into a.
Harley: T-shirt. So once again, thank you very much.
KC: Thank you I love doing this. Yeah, we usually have a good time.
Harley: We do.
KC: Whether it records or not, it's still counting right now, so I'm assuming we got something.
Harley: So do you have anything you'd like to say? Any words of advice for our listeners before we go?
KC: Be kind, take time for yourself. It's okay to do nothing. Take a deep breath, perfect Bye. Take a deep breath, perfect bye. Until next time. Remember to be kind and, like us, keep it enormous, enormous, just enormous, enormous, just enormous. This podcast is a proud member of the Pride 48 Podcasting Network.
Harley: Check out more great shows at pride48.com. Are you finished? Not yet Kick out the virus.
KC: Kick out the virus.
Harley: Now I'm finished.