Speaker 1: I bet any of the big rock stars or big performers could sell their foam cover.
Speaker 2: Ooh la la, I want your foam cover Instead of selling your underwear.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sell pop screens.
Speaker 2: Be much more excited Because it has your spit in it.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, enormous, this is enormous with your hosts harley and kc. Well, here we are fatty is almost my mother. Vocal mannerisms. Mannerisms, or what no? The words he uses, the food he cooks.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what?
Speaker 1: there's not that much difference between North and South Carolina, Okay.
Speaker 2: My doctor just told me yesterday his wife can't get a job here. Just finished her residency. She just finished that at Spalding and she can't get the kind of rehab or whatever it is job she has here. So they're moving to North Carolina. Wow, and I haven't had a doctor that I loved like this doctor for a long time, so I'm really sad that he's going.
Speaker 1: That is sad. Yeah. The Love it or List it show is filming in North Carolina in the Raleigh-Durham area. Oh, wow, and that is a growing metropolitan area.
Speaker 2: I've never looked at that city. I mean to study it and see what's there.
Speaker 1: It is beautiful, I'll tell you what you can get there for what you can get here. There's a big difference.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's a lot of places. I like looking at houses in Minnesota and Wisconsin because of the time frame of people moving across America and so forth. There are lots of mid-century modern, beautiful houses and you can get so much house.
Speaker 1: What does irk?
Speaker 2: mean Irk is irritated or annoyed, and it is Middle English in the sense to be annoyed or be disgusted, perhaps from the old Norse word Jyrka.
Speaker 1: Jyrka, jyrka, I am very Jyrka.
Speaker 2: And that's from the new Oxford American Dictionary.
Speaker 1: Well, that was a Maxine vocabulary word, that she was irked New segment Maxine's foil and Maxine's the tinfoil queen has a vocabulary word every episode, and this episode is irked.
Speaker 2: Okay. That really irked me, really irks me, but today we're not going to talk. Well, actually I am going to talk to you about something right now that I want to know if you'd be irked or not irked, get off.
Speaker 1: Stop irking me. Stop irking me off.
Speaker 2: I'm going to, I'm going to, I'm going to irk you off. I just have a question. Yes, and this question is about assault and I kind of hate to throw that out there glibly because I don't want to trigger somebody that's been assaulted, and I'm talking about it in a fashion that's not serious but serious. But I want to know if you think that this would qualify as assault. So it's a dog story. Oh so let's start the story. Two days ago, we went to walk the dogs and we went across the way here over to the conservatory area right um which those homes are, the nice houses, yeah, 800 to a million and a half houses and uh, so it looks pretty nice over there and they had they do have walking trails and sidewalks all the way through it and uh, one of the newer, uh, they redid an area, kind of a spillway area, with new sidewalk, and put new wild grass and stuff in there. And we walked early the other day and the sprinklers were going the big ones that jet out you know really far and sweep across the. It almost looks like you're irritating or irritating yeah, irritating, that's the one. It looks like you're irrigating. A field is the way. So we couldn't walk through there and so we'll go around this street of the neighborhood between the houses. You know, about three blocks down we can cut back in to the greenway area. You know where the sidewalk is and get around Sure. So we went to do that. About halfway through that walk on the sidewalk there was a man watering his grass and with the hose by hand. You know, just hand watering the grass. I walked by him and I said good morning and he just kind of gave me a scally look. He didn't say anything back. That's fine. No, not a problem. Some people say good morning and some people don't. I always try to smile and say good morning, but sometimes you get that back and sometimes you don't. You know, Mr mr was probably a block back from me, because the little dog, she has to look at this and look at that and run this way and run that way, and so I so and I had my headphones in so I wasn't paying attention, and they're, they're always back there. You know, I don't wait. We max likes to go, walk, walk, walk, he likes to go.
Speaker 1: So yeah, he wants, yeah, he's on a mission right.
Speaker 2: So so we just keep walking and sometimes we'll get to somewhere where there's some shade trees or whatever, and then we'll stop and wait for them to catch up. So I wasn't paying any attention to them. Pretty soon I start to hear real loud voices and I turned back. Oh, and I should say this too that neighborhood over there is the kind of neighborhood where the sidewalk you know, our neighborhood here, the sidewalk is right up against the curb, right, Right, Okay, but that's one of the neighborhoods where the between the sidewalk and the curb there's another three or four feet of grass, All right.
Speaker 1: It's usually a public right of way that you. It's part of your property, but you have to allow access. Good, I was going to ask you to explain that part to me that it's is it yours or it's not yours? It is yours, you own it, it's part of your property, but you there's also an implied uh, public right of way on it.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, because it's between the sidewalk and the and the curb of the street. It's not on the grass. That's next to your house side right.
Speaker 1: my understanding is, one of the reasons why Denver had such a hard time policing the campers around town during COVID and shortly after was that it's public right of way, so they can't legally tell them they can't be on there. Okay.
Speaker 2: Okay, so here's what happened, and now this is all my telling secondhand Right. Yeah, because I wasn't there. I was there, but I was about a block ahead, right, I wasn't there. I just heard loud talking. I turned back after a bit and saw an exchange of Mr past the guy but turning back and saying something and they were hollering at each other. Oh wow.
Speaker 1: Okay, they were hollering at each other.
Speaker 2: Oh, wow, okay. So what had happened was little Inga had gone onto that grass between the sidewalk and the curb Right and she likes to kind of roll around in it, push her nose and her face and sort of roll around. And the guy said don't let your dog pee on my grass. And Mr said well, she's not, she's not going to do that, you don't need to worry, she's not going to do that. And he said well, I am worried. It is my grass and I don't know. Then I'm not sure all that was said.
Speaker 1: More words Not nice, I'm sure.
Speaker 2: No, probably not nice on both sides, probably not. And then when Mr got up to me, his t-shirt, front and back was all wet. I go, what happened? He said the guy sprayed me with the garden hose You're kidding. So then we kind of have a little powwow. I go is that a salt or is that not? Or should we do something or not do something? And we ultimately just were like, oh, we better let it go and just try to have a nice day and not worry about this. But it's just a weird thing, it's troubling and you're like, why would somebody do that?
Speaker 1: And he wanted Mr to move his little dog onward.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the guy said something like well, what do you think about this? And just spray oh no. Isn't that weird?
Speaker 1: That's not weird, it's really awful.
Speaker 2: Got him all wet His phone wet, his earbuds, even in his ears were wet. Wow, he's got him, he sprayed him. A good one yeah. You know Mr Considered altercating with the gentleman. He opted to not, and which is good, because my mistress uh 70 plus, you know. There comes a point where you probably don't want to really be physically fighting with somebody anymore because you might get something broken. Well, how, how old was the person watering? Oh, I would think he was uh 35 to 40 maybe. Oh, he was a kid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Younger, younger than younger than we are. Yeah, yeah, uh huh.
Speaker 2: Anyway, we were trying to wonder if that's something you can actually call the police and say I was assaulted, even though it's just sprayed with water.
Speaker 1: The police would probably assume that what had happened was some kind of an altercation and the conversation got heated to the point that this guy just wet him with the hose. I guess I have to tell you about my dog story. Okay, sarge and I were taking the two dogs out for a short walk. They're getting old and they're getting tired. They don't like the long walks. I mean, in their mind they like the long walks, but they physically can't handle them. Sometimes they just get so tired before they get home that it's practically dragging them home. So we were walking down the street and there were two gentlemen across the street having a conversation, and it was a friendly conversation. One guy was kind of a neighborhood-y guy looking. He was a little older and he had a gray hair and a beard and he looked like he'd maybe been doing some gardening or something. And then the other man was, I would say, in his late 20s or early 30s, with an absolutely perfect body no shirt and shorts and sneakers. I looked at Sarge. I said whoa, is that the guy from down the block? Sarge said yeah, I think it is. I think it is. I said I didn't know. He looked that good. He said and Sarge says, yeah, well, he has a shirt off all the time. So we went up and we went around the corner and we came back and as we're walking by his house and he was now watering his lawn in that, Same outfit.
Speaker 2: Same outfit, non-outfit outfit.
Speaker 1: Right, I worked really hard on this body and I don't care who looks at me, as long as it's with desire.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would too. I'm sorry, I have to say, if I worked out like that and I look like that.
Speaker 1: I would do the same thing. But what's really funny was I was ahead of Sarge and they were going very slowly and Yoda was doing that. End of the walk. Maybe I want water, maybe I just want to rest, kind of a thing. So I kept turning around to see if they were coming. No, not want to rest, kind of a thing. So I kept turning around to see what if they're coming, not not. I sounded I'm coming, I'm coming. I kept turning around to see how far behind they were yeah, if I should keep up my pace right or wait for that, and every time I turned around to see where they were, of course the guy watering his lawn saw me looking.
Speaker 2: Like you were looking at him.
Speaker 1: I was making up this excuse to keep looking at him. And then, of course, sarge kept looking back at Yoda, trying to see why Yoda wasn't coming, and so I'm sure the guy thought that Sarge was turning around looking at him.
Speaker 2: So we just fed an ego to no end, and he did not squirt us with the hose, well, he squirted himself with the hose Right On Mondays, back in the old days, the hairdoing days, my friend in the salon, she and I on Mondays was our wine drinking day, because we didn't do hair on Mondays, we didn't work. So I'd go to her house and she'd fix us a nice glass of wine and we'd sit in her front picture window and watch the guy across the street who apparently also had Monday off Because he'd be tending to the flowers and the bushes and mowing the lawn and so forth. Always in that same outfit, always shirtless, with shorty shorts and just tennis shoes on out there working in the front yard. And he probably saw us, he probably knew we. That's probably why he did so much yard work On Mondays, Because he knew we were there watching him.
Speaker 1: Yeah he didn't care. He worked really hard on that body Right, right and he wanted to show it off.
Speaker 2: I forgot about that.
Speaker 1: Until you told me that I forgot about that. That's a riot. You know, I've seen him as we've driven and I always thought he had kind of a nice-ish body, but I didn't think his face was very attractive. I said, up close, he's perfect, he's beautiful. And Sarge said, yeah, I know.
Speaker 2: Your city living is much better, for I don't know what to call it other than people watching, because you've got such a diverse variety of all different kind of people down there. See, we don't have that out here.
Speaker 1: Look how similar our lives were. Both of our stories were about somebody watering the lawn.
Speaker 2: That, and it took place on that piece of grass between the sidewalk and the street. But they both had and they were both interesting characters, and they both had completely different endings.
Speaker 1: And they both had hoses with water coming out Hoses. When did you get back from your trip, Because you said you were walking the dog a couple of days ago. Well, we got back on Saturday actually about noon. And how long were you gone? Well, total, two weeks roughly, and this was the annual summer vacation.
Speaker 2: Well, it's kind of the bigger trip is the two week trip. I guess we'd call that for the summer. We do you know how we do a lot of little staycations around here in Colorado and so forth, and this was kind of going to be our bigger trip. Thing is, these days you got to book this stuff a good six months ahead of time. Oh, that's right, had anything so over, you can't do anything spur of the moment. Yeah, so that. So all this was planned out, you know, like around christmas time last year whatever I sat down and and mapped it all out and and booked things. So we went from here, we went straight up north and we landed in up by 20 up by 25 yeah, up by 25 and landed in casper, wyoming, and stayed there. That was somewhere between five and six hours probably. That was one of the longer stretches. The traffic is bad on.
Speaker 1: I-25, isn't it?
Speaker 2: That's part of why it's longer, and I-25 between here and Fort Collins is perpetually in construction.
Speaker 1: It is. Have you noticed that?
Speaker 2: Yes, the road itself, since I've lived here for 30 years, that stretch of highway.
Speaker 1: It's never been done.
Speaker 2: It's always in construction. I don't, I can't even understand that.
Speaker 1: I do, I'll ask you a question.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Did you see many oil wells on your trip up by 25?
Speaker 2: Yes, oh, you did. Well, it's not many but a few.
Speaker 1: You know, after 104th it was pretty much empty. At least 120th it was empty. And now you go way, way north and it's houses after houses, after houses after houses. Well, the construction, a lot of it, is due to increasing traffic. So they're making the highway wider, they're making the on and off ramps more modern, more up to code, so you can high speed on and high speed off, and they're putting in extra exits like 120. We had some friends that bought a house at 129th and this was gosh, I don't know 10 or 15 years ago I think, and there was nothing up there. You drove and drove and drove and here was this fancy exit and it was extra wide and it was pretty and it had these great big fancy street lights and all this kind of stuff at the exit.
Speaker 2: Now it's all totally full at 120th well, I can tell you pulling a trailer that having an extra long on-ramp is really important because there's so much traffic and going so slow and and I know I'm the merging person so I know it's up to me to figure out how to get in there and people will have a tendency to not cut you any slack on that. So if you can build up quite a bit of speed so you can get in amongst the traffic, that's very helpful.
Speaker 1: Pulling a trailer and you know what else If you can build up some speed. Pulling a trailer that big people get out of your way yeah. Pulling a trailer that big people get out of your way yeah, that's kind of true, huh, if you're going slow, they'll try to go around you or change lanes and it just gets all.
Speaker 2: It gets worse. Yeah, pretty soon you're practically stopped because nobody's letting you go full speed and you don't stop, they'll make right, right, they'll move, they'll finally move, it's horrible to say, but yeah, yeah. So casper was, you know, dry and rather dusty. There wasn wasn't much there, but it was nice and relaxing and there were deers just roaming around every day right where we were at.
Speaker 1: Now, I'm not very good with geography. Tell me about the landscape of Casper, Wyoming.
Speaker 2: Casper sets kind of down in a valley with a mountain range around a part of it, not all the way around, so it's kind of pretty to look and see?
Speaker 1: Oh, it's very beautiful. Yeah, it was beautiful. Are there creeks or rivers or anything like that?
Speaker 2: Not exactly right where we were. It was pretty high plains, desert kind of looking area.
Speaker 1: So you stayed how many days in Casper Four, and how long of a drive was it to get to a place that was interesting to look at?
Speaker 2: Well, you could go back to Denver. Yeah, you could go back to Cheyenne.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, it's a little bigger, uh-huh, you know, and we went back there to like do grocery shopping and get gas. Are the mountains close enough that you could? Do hikes day hikes or anything like that. Yeah, sure, sure, you could.
Speaker 2: You could have done that. You could that, did we Someone?
Speaker 1: could do that, somebody that wanted to do that, somebody that wanted to walk at high altitude could do that Right.
Speaker 2: You know we always have the dogs to contend with, so that drives a lot of what we do and what we don't do.
Speaker 1: The young dog would be fine. Yeah, but the older dog she'd probably, you know, she'd rather rest, but she doesn't want to be left alone either.
Speaker 2: It's true, probably it's the other way around, for leaving them, I could leave her. I could leave the old dog, I could leave her in the trailer and she wouldn't care. She'd sleep. She sleeps a lot now. If the air conditioner would be running, she wouldn't make a peep. No one would even know she was there. Now, him. That'd be a different story.
Speaker 1: He'd be barking, he'd chew up the cushions.
Speaker 2: He might chew on something. Of course, we pulled the blackout shades in the daytime, you know, to make it cooler inside there, but now he's learned how to stick his nose behind the shade.
Speaker 1: So he can look outside.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so he jumps up on the couch and sticks his nose behind the shade and looks out the window.
Speaker 1: That is a smart dog. He's very smart, which makes him really annoying but still they're smart, that's great. So you spent four days in Casper packed up. Here we go and you're off to.
Speaker 2: We're off to South Dakota, oh, which is which direction?
Speaker 1: North East? Oh, so you went Casper's north of Cheyenne, Uh-huh. And then you went east.
Speaker 2: North and east. Wow, to South Dakota we went. Okay, we stayed between Spearfish and Sturgis. Everybody knows Sturgis because of the motorcycle thingy.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: And the camping area we stayed there and the caviar.
Speaker 1: The caviar? Oh no, that's sturgeon.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's a different thing. Yeah, it's Spearfish. It goes with Spearfish, spearfish and sturgeon Spearfish has a statue in in spearfish in a park and it's literally a you know, a giant long fish with a spear sticking through it. Oh no, that's their town statue. That's terrible, isn't it? That's just terrible. I think I took a picture cause I was surprised. I couldn't believe it. But the camping area we stayed at, called Elkhorn Ridge, is a very high end big space, you know, full-size pool, beautifully designed shower houses with all individual Like. Each shower house has probably 12 rooms and that room, when you close it, it's your own bathroom, isn't?
Speaker 1: that nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so nice, very nice. It's a little more expensive per day.
Speaker 1: It must be the price of a hotel, I would think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, sure it is.
Speaker 1: A lower price, hotelriced hotel You're going to spend $100 or $150 a day.
Speaker 2: Well, that's a pretty low-priced hotel these days. Yeah, these days that is. And when we got there, there were all these motorhomes, these million-dollar motorhomes. I consider my rig to be pretty nice, looking fairly upscale, but we felt like the Beverly. Hillbillies in between all these million dollar. Integra's. Integra is the name of this coach. I wonder if they care enough to talk about it. You don't even call them a motorhome, you have to call them a coach. Do they have their own motors built in? Yeah, it's a motorhome, oh, a motorhome. Yeah, to call them a coach, oh do they have their own motors building?
Speaker 1: yeah, it's a, it's a motorhome, oh motor, yeah, uh-huh, but it's a coach.
Speaker 2: So if you're pulling something, it's so de classe well, if you're pulling something behind that, people have a garage, they have a whole square box for their wheels and the car, or their all their toys, you know, motorcycles and whatever are in this. Literally it's a garage. So we felt we're feeling pretty out of place, and then I so then I got online and was looking and found out that they had an Integra meetup. It's a little weird because the climate, if you will, of those people, yeah. Is not the same climate as the climate of us. So, I bet it really irked them yeah that we were there.
Speaker 1: That you were there. And for a couple of reasons With our rainbow flag Right. That was one of the reasons. The other reason is that you prevented because you were smart enough to book so far in advance. You prevented another one of these integrals from being there. I got a good spot, so that was Spearfish, Uh-huh. Next stop was Ogallala, Nebraska.
Speaker 2: Oh, is that where the lake is? There is no, no, are you thinking of the big McAllen, or which one? Is there a lake in Ogallala? I don't think so.
Speaker 1: Hmm, not that I can think of. Is Ogallala right on the border of Nebraska? It's closer to the border, seems to me. Ogallala right on the border of Nebraska. It's closer to the border, seems to me Ogallala was the first place when you left Colorado?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not far from the Colorado-Wyoming border area. Yeah, that's true, it's close enough to the timeline from central time to mountain time. Right, the truck was messed up.
Speaker 1: Really.
Speaker 2: And we had to probably go about an hour down the road before the time finally jumped to the correct time.
Speaker 1: Lake Okoboji is what I was thinking of oh, no, that's Iowa.
Speaker 2: Oh, it is yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I think I've seen me in geography and words. I think I always, in my mind, somehow swapped Ogallala and Okoboji.
Speaker 2: Oh, Okoboji's in Iowa.
Speaker 1: They both sound like maybe Indian names that struck.
Speaker 2: Sure, I'm sure it is. I'm sure it is Ogallala's very small and we stayed at a KOA there. That was pretty. We'll call it primitive, Is that?
Speaker 1: a nice way to say it. Do you have to poop in a hole?
Speaker 2: No, not no, they had the KOA stuff like a shower house with that corrugated tin roof, right, you know that kind of KOA looking, kind of accoutrement. And we had the 70s. Look, we had a patio space. So they pour you a slab of stamped cement and put a table on there and a fire pit on there, but there wasn't very many trees right where we were at, so who could sit on your patio? Because it was too hot to do so? And of course, everything's gravel there. You know it's not paved. I mean that you know, like, like the resort, uh, the elkhorn that's. It's all black topped and the sites are, all you know, cement, perfectly level flat cement you know, you barely have to level your trailer there. of course, we were crooked in Ogallala on a hill and there was some kind of a power box on a pedestal that was about five feet high. Four feet high and where we had to drop the stairs was right next to it. So you had to go down the stairs to the trailer and practically go around this little power box to get out. It was very primitive compared to what we had just done.
Speaker 1: Oh, and KOA got started back in the 70s and they were just becoming a franchise and growing across the country. Camping was big Right.
Speaker 2: But not this kind of camping, not a different kind of camping, different kind of camping.
Speaker 1: And so you know, if you had a trailer that you pulled behind and you slid the sides out and you popped the top up and there was two beds in there and a little swamp kitchen, that would have been perfect Right right and it was an inexpensive vacation.
Speaker 2: Sure, and this was a journey. There's three different KOA traveler KOA journey. I forget what the third one is. Anyway, this was a journey. So what those are is usually adjacent to an interstate Right and what people do is they're passing through, so they come in often later in the day and then leave pretty early the next morning. It's not really like we stayed there for four nights.
Speaker 1: It's like a lower priced motel, yeah.
Speaker 2: And that's not really what that KOA is not really designed to accommodate us for our travel vacation plans, so you felt like you were the Integra drivers in that campground. Right right, there was some kind of an old 1950s motorhome there. The side door, the people door, that door, the door window was a port window. It was round. It was so cool. I looked on the internet I couldn't find out what kind of it looks so mid-century Very much, I could not find out what kind of a motorhome that was.
Speaker 1: Well, maybe that'll be the next craze In Denver. Mid-century homes are really, really popular.
Speaker 2: Yeah right. Maybe the next craze is mid-century houseboats yeah, that's nice too, I like that idea. So anyway, yeah, there for four days, five or four nights, five days. And then we came home on saturday and, uh, how I had planned, that out was from ogallala bacteria. Of course, then was only about three hours or so so that made for an easy day for us to get back home, empty the trailer, get it all parked in storage and start laundry and all that stuff on a short day.
Speaker 1: Did you stop in Brush or Sterling?
Speaker 2: No, we did not. We saw them as we drove by. I have to tell you that Colorado's roads are the worst.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That 76, is it 76? I think from Nebraska down to Denver. Just like a washboard.
Speaker 1: They should put a few tolls on it and get some money to fix it.
Speaker 2: It is terrible, it's the worst road.
Speaker 1: It was that road when I hit a bloated deer in the center of the highway. Oh my gosh, I was talking up a storm. We were driving down this thing at 80 miles an hour. We weren't paying any any attention. All of a sudden I look up and here's something right in front of me and I try to swerve to miss it, and it was a deer that had been hit overnight, yeah and it had already blowed it up and it stunk and so I hit that thing and it exploded under my car. Oh and we had to find an exit with a car wash to literally wash the guts off the bottom of the car and every time it got hot and the engine was hot you could still smell it. I was so happy to get rid of that car. Oh boy, that was one of my bad driving stories. Now tell me, how did you pick those particular locations?
Speaker 2: I knew I wanted to get to South Dakota, so then figuring out how to make a loop. So it's no fun to go back the same way. You came right.
Speaker 1: Right. What was the appeal of South Dakota? Do you have family there or?
Speaker 2: Well, my niece had gotten married there, so we had been at that resort before, so we knew how nice it was. Oh, okay, maybe you said that, yeah, two years ago, okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my memory is very short term, even if it's two years or two minutes, so that makes sense. Yeah, did you get to see your niece? Well, no, she doesn't live there. I never noticed how my standing was becoming less and less as I did less and less work, you know at the frame shop, I never realized that I had transitioned from standing all day long and never sitting to now mostly sitting and just standing occasionally.
Speaker 2: You know doing hair for part of my life and then teaching the other part. Those are both standing jobs. Me too. Yeah, I always do it.
Speaker 1: I was either standing in front of customers or I was standing in the back making picture frames. Right, yeah, and now you know I spend most of my time sitting. It's probably not a good thing.
Speaker 2: Well, wear your watch so it tells you to get up, and then do it when it tells you to do it. That's the problem.
Speaker 1: I do see it when it tells me to stand up and I say to it in a minute, in a minute.
Speaker 2: I will In a minute.
Speaker 1: One more thing I got to do, and then the next thing, I know I hear the grandfather's clock chiming Another hour, another hour and I'm thinking, oh my gosh, I didn't just do that for that long, did I? While you were on vacation? I sent you something that I came across that I thought was really interesting. We use Google Workspace at work, yes, and it's pretty nice. The more I realize how powerful its features are, the more I like it, and now that I've been using ChatGPT since the very beginning and I'm starting to use Gemini, I'm getting to see some differences in the way AI can really manifest. Right, I think anybody that just sticks with one maybe thinks that's all they can do, but there's just so much. Well, google now has introduced a new product and I came across it. I think there's another podcaster who has already come across it. Okay, what you do is you upload text, you know a document, whatever. You upload it and then it turns it into a two-person podcast.
Speaker 2: It's such a weird thing but it does it.
Speaker 1: So Google sent me a direct. You know, try this. Oh, they did. Okay, and it's called something LM Notebook. Do you know what that stands for?
Speaker 2: I don't know what LM means. No, I don't know what that means either.
Speaker 1: But so I figured well, what I'd do is I'd take our most recent episode, because I have access to the transcript, and I'd see what kind of a podcast it would make about our podcast. And what I found out was it's frightening. And what's frightening about it is it sounds so human and so logical. There's pauses, there's expressions in the voice, there's. It is so subtle that you even hear people. You know people, you hear that. You hear these ai voices.
Speaker 2: Take a breath before they say something, or they say uh, uh.
Speaker 1: Or they say uh, Uh-huh yeah.
Speaker 2: Or it's like, or or so um, uh-huh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they put in ums and uhs.
Speaker 2: All the real human inflections and so forth.
Speaker 1: It was really fun to hear a perspective of what we talked about in the last podcast.
Speaker 2: Made it sound like it was something really important.
Speaker 1: It made it sound really important. But because we knew the podcast, I mean we made it and we went through and we edited out some of the stuff we didn't like. We knew what the truth and the facts were, and that AI podcast back changed some of the facts. It did actually, and I'm not sure why, if it did that accidentally or intentionally or what the rationale was Well, it's a concern in some ways, kind of. Well, what scares me is that you and I know that something's going on because we did it. You know I did this, I sent it to you and you listened to it and then you went wait a minute, they're talking about our podcast. Who is this? Who're talking about our podcast? Who is this? Who's talking about our podcast? But the general public, if they heard something like that, if they heard, say, an AI newscaster, which is you know, it's. The only reason they're not doing it is because they think people will freak, because they could say anything and it sounds so truthful and so real that you know it's just crazy, it's something it's a little scary.
Speaker 2: What I read was it says this this is what it says about Notebook LM. It says so really, you can just kind of put anything that uses artificial intelligence, specifically designed by Google Gemini to assist users in interacting with their documents. So really, you can just kind of put anything in there and it'll kind of break it down for you. And what was the old paper? Little books, you know, cliff notes, oh right yeah. Remember when you were in college and you'd read the cliff notes on something.
Speaker 1: This is a way you could study a topic and it's going to sort of take the most important points that it feels are the most important points and tell them to you, it's AI cliff notes in the form of a man's voice and a woman's voice talking like they're on a podcast. Well, I know that when I'm in the car commuting and it's about 30 minutes, although I don't commute as much I listen to podcasts. It's about 30 minutes. Although I don't commute as much, I listen to podcasts, and so this is a way that I could create my own content for a podcast I wanted to listen to about something that I needed to learn. That's pretty fun.
Speaker 2: It's something, it's really something. I'm trepidatious what did you tell me earlier today about some kind of a warning or sign or something about recording? Oh yeah, well, I had gone to the doctor yesterday. It was the follow-up for that and now at Kaiser they had notes hanging here and there that said that your visit with the doctor was not to be audio or video recorded.
Speaker 1: Which is an interesting thing to think about. Yeah, because anybody with a phone could record anybody without them knowing.
Speaker 2: Sure, and they still could. If you had your phone in your pocket and turned on the record button, you can still record it.
Speaker 1: I guess For my 50th birthday. Many years ago, sarge and I went to London and everywhere we went there were signs that said video surveillance being used. You are being recorded. And I wondered if that was real or if it was just a way to try to get people to behave, just a deterrent, and I said they must have a lot of crime over here that this is a problem. It's been a few years Now. Everywhere here is the same way, only there's no signs. If AI was able to go out and find every bit of recorded information on you or the average person how much do you think it would be? That's a lot. Huh, it's a lot. Every store you've ever been in every toll booth you've ever been by, every house that has a doorbell that you've walked by. It goes on and on and on and on.
Speaker 2: Regarding Mr being Wet with the Hose, I did offer to him. I said would you like me to go back with the Roundup and dump it on his lawn just as a retribution? Right away of course I was teasing, but right away he said well, there's cameras on those houses all up and down that block. You can't do that, which is true.
Speaker 1: It is true, not just cameras on the doorbells, but sometimes external cameras around the outside Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh, I see neighborhood stuff on my ring app all the time of people walking up, looking right at the camera and taking it and walking away with it anyway.
Speaker 1: First thing that happens if a neighbor has a car that's had something stolen out of it is do you have any footage on your camera? Our car was parked in front of your house and I guess everybody has cameras.
Speaker 2: This happened the other day too. We went to Walmart to buy a few groceries.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: And we slid the carton of six Peak Tees across the machine. I swear to you it beeped and set it down. And then the machine locked up, you know, and it said the attendant has to come and enter their code. And when they came and entered their code, right there on the screen where we could see it right in front of our very eyes, a video started to play of us scanning our groceries. And when we got to the T and that the T, you know, we did slide it across the machine or whatever, but it didn't register it, for whatever reason. Right, I don't imagine that gets saved for very long. Register it for whatever reason, I don't imagine that gets saved for very long. But while you're checking out, doing self-check, that machine is actually recording you the whole time. I'm going to tell you what my soundtrack of my life is, if you're ready for it, okay go ahead.
Speaker 1: Are you ready? I'm ready to hear your song. It better be good.
Speaker 2: It better be good. I don't know. I want to choose something fun and frivolous and I just found out about this song something I didn't know, because I accidentally saw a video on YouTube or somewhere. So I'm choosing a song from 1978 called Get Off by Foxy. No, that's not what I thought. That's not what I thought. I don't know if you remember that song. You remember Get Off or not. No, where they go ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, get off. I probably remember the ooh ooh ooh yeah, you will.
Speaker 1: I probably did that on the dance floor. I'll play it for you when we're done here.
Speaker 2: Anyway, it's all these years. I didn't know that and the band's name is Foxy. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And they're white.
Speaker 2: I swear they are.
Speaker 1: No, we better look and see. We better look and see, yep.
Speaker 2: So that's my song Get Off Foxy.
Speaker 1: I don't know what to say.
Speaker 2: Was it a hit? Was it? It was, it was very popular Dance the beginnings of disco.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, I probably danced to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I bet you did. I bet you did. Do you have a song for the soundtrack of your life?
Speaker 1: No, I'm trying to think. I'm not feeling very musical today. No, you're having a. I usually get an earworm every day or something like that. I do have the strange thing that happens if I hear motors running like the exhaust over the stove and I'm working on range hood. When I hear motor running, I identify with something and it triggers sounds in my mind the pitch of either music or people talking.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And the other day in the shower I said I'm going with it. So I tried to. I just tried to listen to the tune. I tried to hum what I heard and it sounded kind of interesting and there were flutes, there was a flute section in it and I had a string section.
Speaker 2: I bet some composers do hear sounds in the world and nature and so forth and it starts to move them in a direction. I'm sure that works that way.
Speaker 1: So I don't have a song. So why don't you pick a song for me?
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, I will. You know why I will? Because I had a show and tell and I forgot to show and tell it to you today. So I'll describe my show. I'll tell you my show and tell first. All right, we were driving down the interstate the other day. I saw something white on the side of the road and I said what is that? We looked and zoomed, zoomed by it and it was a hat. And I said to him go around, you have to go around a section, get off at the interstate.
Speaker 1: Did you get off at the next exit and go back, go back and then come back up again?
Speaker 2: Well, he made me do it because he was not about to do that. He said I am not doing that, Mister's not going to stop on the highway was a hat.
Speaker 1: This hat.
Speaker 2: It was totally black and greasy with stains and oil and dirt. No, and if you can describe it now for us.
Speaker 1: It's bright white.
Speaker 2: It's bright white. I have sanitized it, I have bleached it, I have washed it, I have done everything. I have sewn the stuff back into the inside of it. Some of these were even separated, these rings, from each other. I've sewn them back together.
Speaker 1: You have a boring life, don't you?
Speaker 2: Uh-huh, I just like to do weird things, just weird things. So what kind of a hat would you call this?
Speaker 1: I would call it a Havana hat Okay.
Speaker 2: That's good White with a black band around it Havana. Havana na na na. Okay, but that's not the song I want to choose for you. How do you feel about Annie? Are you okay? Are you okay, annie? Annie, are you okay? You've been hit by, you've been struck by a smooth criminal? Oh, it is, it's a Michael Jackson hat it's a Michael Jackson smooth criminal hat Totally, but watch when I put it on. I look like an old man that needs to be smoking a cigar.
Speaker 1: You do. I don't look like Michael Jackson. That adds like 10 years to you. It does doesn't it?
Speaker 2: So I won't be wearing this hat. Anyway your song this week will be Smooth Criminal by Michael Jackson. Oh, I love that song.
Speaker 1: It's a good one. What's interesting is I could actually say something about it. Okay, Sometimes when I get up in the morning I want to listen to the Daily Show.
Speaker 2: Okay, the Jon Stewart Daily Show.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, and they have a for ears only edition.
Speaker 2: It's free. They do it like a podcast.
Speaker 1: So sometimes there's something I want to see that I've heard, because I know there's some kind of a visual joke. Right right, you can hear the audience laughing and as soon as I turn on YouTube now on my phone, it immediately takes me to a short. The last two weeks they had been feeding me video of old Michael Jackson performances. That's interesting.
Speaker 2: So did you see it? Yes, the criminal. Yes, that's the one where he leans forward right.
Speaker 1: Yes, how did they do?
Speaker 2: that I don't really know. I've seen special shoes that hook into like bolts on the floor, and then I've also seen a rig that was a magnet, with shoes with a magnet in it. So I don't know which one of those is real or either one, but yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, what I saw was that song and it was the leaning forward scene, and he had, I think, six male dancers, all dressed in black, that were leaning forward at exactly the same angle as he was and they were rehearsing for the show. It looks cool. It does look cool. Now, what are the chances in this big old world of ours that there would be a connection like that?
Speaker 2: That's funny, huh yeah.
Speaker 1: So there you go, smooth criminal, I'm going to turn it on and watch it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's go watch it now.
Speaker 1: Well, it's been fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it has.
Speaker 1: It's been real nice actually.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's do it again some other time, shall we. Well, I'll think about it. Okay, very good, okay, bye, bye, until next time. Remember to be kind and, like us, keep it enormous, enormous, just enormous, enormous, just enormous. This podcast is a proud member of the Pride 48 Podcasting Network.
Speaker 1: Check out more great shows at pride48.com. Are you finished? Not yet Enormous.
Speaker 2: Just enormous.
Speaker 1: Now I'm finished.