SPEAKER_02: I need you just to say three letters for me.
SPEAKER_00: This is enormous with your hosts Harley and KC.
SPEAKER_02: Are we on? Yeah, we are. We're recording? Yeah, we are. Okay. There are three letters of the alphabet that I'd like you to say. I've written them down. Okay. So you can say them. Can you see them? I wrote them down on our big gigantic enormous pad that we keep our notes on. With markers that have a scent. This is our trellis.
SPEAKER_01: This is our trellis. It's true.
SPEAKER_02: Our trello is on a big piece of paper.
SPEAKER_01: I like it. I like that. It's better than trello. Okay, so I have to read the three letters?
SPEAKER_02: Yes.
SPEAKER_01: You mean these three right here? Yes. Uh-huh. R and R.
SPEAKER_02: Okay. Now say it a little faster and put them a little closer together.
SPEAKER_01: R and R.
SPEAKER_02: Okay. Drew it one more time for me. R N R. Okay, you have just now said oh no in with an Australian accent.
SPEAKER_01: Arnar. Oh, you're right. Uh-huh. That's very good. Isn't it? That's the hardest accent to get.
SPEAKER_02: Now you can say oh no with an Australian accent. R and R. R N. Don't overdo it now.
SPEAKER_01: But you have to don't you have to emphasise Emphosis? Emphosis the R. R and R. Yeah, I like that. That's good. That's very good. Yeah, I thought I thought you'd like that. Uh-huh. I like little tricks like that.
SPEAKER_02: Well, I'm glad we were able to get together today to try to do a little recording. We'll see what happens. We've done a few and they uh haven't uh made the grade. That's true.
SPEAKER_01: So here we are behind by a couple of months. But you know, we have a lot of people that do listen to us and miss us. And so it's it's important, I think, that we do an episode regularly just so that people know what's going on. Yep.
SPEAKER_02: Yeah, and then and things are going on still. Yep. Like what? Tell me what's been going on with you. Well, uh well, nothing nothing too terribly exciting. Just uh now it's almost spring or getting close to spring, so doing yard work things and kind of prepping for summer and about to get ready for the camping season and all that kind of stuff.
SPEAKER_01: When's your first camping trip?
SPEAKER_02: In this month, at the end of the month, actually. Really? Yeah. Are you gonna do the local staycation kind of staycation summarizing, opposite of winterizing, the summarizing process? It's practice, it's you know, just getting setting everything up, cleaning everything, blowing the the lines out and getting the anti-freeze out of the water lines and all that kind of stuff.
SPEAKER_01: That's it's that's a lot, isn't it?
SPEAKER_02: It takes a while, but it's kind of fun. I sort of like it.
SPEAKER_01: Now, would you have to do that if you parked it in a heated storage area?
SPEAKER_02: Probably not. If you were if you were pretty assured that that you weren't gonna lose heat, uh-huh. I might still go to the low drain and drain all the water out of everything and maybe and even blow the excess out of there. Thing that's different is that it has that hot water on demand.
SPEAKER_01: Oh, right.
SPEAKER_02: So it's all these little coils that water runs through that uh that you know are heated, that the a flame comes on and just starts heating these little coils and water runs through and then it heats it as you're using it. We don't have a hot water tank. Which is perfect. That's great. That part is great, but the winterizing side of that is you know, is maybe not so great because you better make sure you got all the water out of that system or that or that's gonna be an expense.
SPEAKER_01: Yep. There must be RV heated storage in Denver somewhere. There might be, although I'm not aware of it. It's probably more than an apartment.
SPEAKER_02: Yeah, I know there's covered where they have big canopies, yeah, and some of that covered even has uh 30 amp and 50 amp plug-ins, so you can even keep your rig plugged in.
SPEAKER_01: Well, Sarge's brother, which would technically be, I guess, uh my brother-in-law through through marriage, right, and sister-in-law are buying an RV. And it's gonna be one that has a motor in it. You know, it's got the Ford engine, like a Ford 400 or something like that.
SPEAKER_02: A motor home of sorts.
SPEAKER_01: A motor home, yeah. Yes. So I'm assuming that they're gonna build some kind of an outbuilding for it and keep it partially heated, but that would be really difficult, wouldn't it?
SPEAKER_02: Yeah, it's expensive to heat an outbuilding, unless your outbuilding's you know, completely insulated and so forth.
SPEAKER_01: If it was insulated and it had passive solar and maybe a little active solar, that would work. But you can have a big garage door.
SPEAKER_02: So you can only do so much about insulating around where a garage door is.
SPEAKER_01: It probably costs as much as a house, wouldn't it? Totally. It's no longer an outbuilding, it's a guest quarters. Right. Right put a bed in there. Well, yeah, if it's got an RV parked in there, then it is a guest quarters. They can sleep in the RV in the outbuilding.
SPEAKER_02: Yeah, you know, our friends that live down there near uh Castle Rock in Larksburg, uh, their neighbors bought a piece of land close to them and built a fancy house there, some gays. It's a couple gays actually. They bought this fancy house and and uh then right away they built a guest quarters, like almost a whole nother house next to that house. But onto that, they built a whole motorhome garage. That's nice. So it has that great big, you know, giant, tall garage door, and they can back their motorhome right in there and plug it in. And I imagine when they do that and close that garage door, then they leave that closed all winter. So you know, so they're not not losing the heat all the time.
SPEAKER_01: Yeah, they had there's you go in the people door, you don't open the big garage door to get in there.
SPEAKER_02: Yeah, yeah, because that's the problem with garages, is you're losing the heat all the time every time you open up.
SPEAKER_01: But they have insulated garage doors. Sure, sure they do. Because a lot of homes now are putting garage doors in family rooms that go out to an outdoor living area or something.
SPEAKER_02: Yeah, I'm I'm looking at a new garage door, so I've been looking at various ones. Yep. And you can go from super cheap to very expensive for a garage door. Wow, what's the price what's the price range? Well, it's I mean a thousand to five five thousand, maybe even more than that. But I would like one like with you know windows across the top of it and stuff so you get some light in there. Yeah, I would like that too.
SPEAKER_01: So so anything else new going on? You're you're starting your camping season.
SPEAKER_02: Yeah, no, not for me. What about you? What have you been up to?
SPEAKER_01: Oh man. Um, let's see. There's been lots of stuff going on in my world. I'm still trying to figure out a way to retire.
SPEAKER_02: Yes.
SPEAKER_01: But in the meantime, I'm having practice retirement. That's good. Do you know what that is?
SPEAKER_02: Yeah, I do.
SPEAKER_01: I think I do. Tell me. That's when you still have a job, but you only go in like two days a week. But you don't go there anymore. Yeah, but you don't go there anymore. So uh I guess that's the advantage of owning a store and having employees that that are really great people that uh do a really good job and that love me.
SPEAKER_02: It should be the advantage. There should be a point where you can worry less about it and they can kind of take care of it for you, that they have your best interest at heart, and that's how it works.
SPEAKER_01: So I go in Saturday for about six hours, and then I usually go in for maybe uh you know, a couple two-hour days during the week, or maybe uh just one uh four to six hour day.
SPEAKER_02: Okay.
SPEAKER_01: So I don't work more than probably twelve hours, twelve to fifteen hours a week.
SPEAKER_02: Well, that's pretty good then. But I do know you do some work at home as well.
SPEAKER_01: I do work at home and I enjoy that. I have to tell you, yeah. Having that house to myself during the day is wonderful. You like it? I like it. But Sarge now works from home. Okay. So he works from home one day a week, and he clumps them at the end of one week and the beginning of the next week. To make a nice longer weekend, sort of. So that would be like a Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. Right. That's a good way to do it. But then since we haven't been traveling much, he's got so much vacation saved up that he oftentimes takes Thursdays off too. Okay. So now he has Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. Right. But this past week was uh a holiday, a city holiday, and um so he had, I think, six days.
SPEAKER_02: Okay. Well, I would submit to you that's also good retirement practice because at some point you do have to grow accustomed to being home together a lot of the time or all of the time, and that's and that's an adjustment. See, so you're already getting ready for that too.
SPEAKER_01: Well, and what we're teaching each other is is that when we have our own projects, don't bother us. Yep. He leaves me alone. Yep, that's good. Yeah, but it's still not the same as being alone. No, no, but but it's still good to have your own, you know, go to your own corner. Yep, so to speak. Like I say, it's practice, and I I like it. Yeah, that's good. Now you remember, well, you know, of course, you know our dog Marley.
SPEAKER_02: Well, of course.
SPEAKER_01: Uh-huh. We rescued Marley from a couple that was going through a divorce, some people from work, a a client of mine. Marley was ten when he came to live with us, and unfortunately was very shell-shocked leaving his family and having to live with total strangers.
SPEAKER_02: It's hard for the pet to do that at any point, but for that long, for a dog that's that's that old, if you will, that's a that's quite a an adjustment. Yep. And he was a big dog. Big. I feel like he did he did good with his that adjustment, though, actually. He did great. Which you guys need to be commended for that too, because you you helped him with that transition, of course, of making him feel comfortable.
SPEAKER_01: Yeah, thank you.
SPEAKER_02: In a new home.
SPEAKER_01: But one of the things he never did was he never had that eye-to-eye contact. Right. When you'd look at him, he'd look off to the side. Right. When he wanted to go out, he wouldn't look at you and bark, he'd look off in the distance and bark. That kind of thing.
SPEAKER_02: Well, I read that that that breed of dog, that's one of their deals. Really? That's what I read somewhere.
SPEAKER_01: Yeah. But here's the thing. After about nine months, it started to change. He got better at it. He became more he became part of the family. I think in his mind and our mind both, after about nine months. Well, unfortunately, he didn't make it to two years with us. And about two and a half weeks ago, we had to say goodbye to Marley.
SPEAKER_02: Yeah.
SPEAKER_01: And boy, was it tough. That's really hard.
SPEAKER_02: It's funny that, yeah, like it's like you had him for a year and a half, roughly or so, and you and you wouldn't think people that don't have pets or don't have a dog, I don't know if they even understand that relationship. Because it's I we I we don't need to get I guess go in long in the tooth about it because we've talked about this before, but it's it's a special bond, and it's it's real painful when you when you lose. And for him, I my feeling for him was I don't know if you remember, I from the get-go, I tried to get him to I would be down on the floor trying to get him to look at me, and he wouldn't do it for the longest time. He finally did. Oh, he did, he finally would make eye contact with me, but it took it took a long time for him to do that. But I think a big dog like that, and he was five hands high. How tall was he?
SPEAKER_01: He was tall enough that I could touch his head with my hand without bending over. You know, you measure a horse and hands, right? So that's why he said five hands high.
SPEAKER_02: Um, yeah, he was a big guy, and some there's something about a big dog that's ti that takes up space too. Oh gosh. The minute they're gone, boy, you they're not taking up that space with you anymore. You really notice it.
SPEAKER_01: It's really a feeling. Yep. I've had two dogs that have died as an adult. And the first one died when I was on my 50th birthday out of the country. Right. And the second one died when we took him in for teeth cleaning. That must have done something wrong. So this is the first time I had to make the decision. And I was actually feeling good because I felt like I was doing my responsibility of easing his pain and letting him no longer have to suffer with his body not working right. But let me tell you, there's a lot of second guessing that goes on.
SPEAKER_02: Right. You need I tell, I'm telling you, you need to see, I need to show you this vet, this young vet that's on TikTok, that that that's all he talks about is is making that decision and knowing when it's the right decision, or whatever. And he's so good at uh discussing that and making you feel a way about it.
SPEAKER_01: And I thought I made the right decision. And and I had talked about it with Sarge. I mean, it wasn't it wasn't just my decision. We both we both made it. Sure. But afterwards I started doubting. Sure, absolutely, that's exactly what happens. But on that same topic, we have a fellow podcaster who has lost one of his family members. Right, right. A lovely little cat that was with him for 22 years. A pretty fluffy little kitty. Beautiful. Yeah. I'm really, you know, my heart goes out to him.
unknown: Yeah.
SPEAKER_01: Haunt Cub, we're thinking of you. Yep. And your kitty. And bestie Bill, I'm sure he loved your kitty too. Right. That that's a hard thing to go through.
SPEAKER_02: And and yep, it leaves a little uh hole in your self for a little while, for sure.
SPEAKER_01: So I do have a couple other things I wanted to share. Okay. These are happy things. Oh. I got a letter from the Social Security Administration, and uh I'm getting a raise. Oh, you are? Yeah, well, because I'm still working.
SPEAKER_02: Okay.
SPEAKER_01: Um, my base that I contribute to gets higher and higher. Okay. And because uh labor reports are not coming out very consistently anymore. When I first started, I didn't get the back. You know, there was something it was supposed to be retroactive.
SPEAKER_02: Yeah.
SPEAKER_01: So I'm gonna get like a raise and two additional checks. I am just I'm just pleased with that. That's exciting. Yeah, good news, right?
SPEAKER_02: We'll take money whenever we can get it.
SPEAKER_01: Right. I'll tell you, whenever I see a letter from the Social Security Administration, the first thing I think is Oh no. Oh no, what bad news? You know, what what's going on?
SPEAKER_02: Yeah, exactly.
SPEAKER_01: Yeah, so that was kind of nice. Very good. And then the other good news was something that made me feel really good about my life and how I've spent it. Um I've been doing picture framing for 40 years and made lots of friends, and lots of clients have become friends. And um, there's one particular client that I've always really liked, and we sort of shared a common respect and like for each other. And then recently, this this client came in and uh handed me an envelope. I opened it in private, and it was the most beautiful letter saying what a good friend I had been over the last 20, 25, 30 years, and um how much they loved me, and they actually put a check in there as a personal gift and said, spend this on something that will just bring you pleasure and make you happy. Oh, that's really nice. And wasn't that amazing?
SPEAKER_02: That's really nice. We don't get a lot of that anymore, so that's really special when it happens. Yeah.
SPEAKER_01: So anyway, two good news is too.
SPEAKER_02: Yeah, good. Can you think of anything else? How are your how are your dogs doing? They're both good. I just called this morning and made appointments for them for their yearly little shots and checkups and so forth. So we'll be doing that here in a couple weeks.
SPEAKER_01: Yoda just had his. Okay. Yeah, he needs to go on kidney food or something.
SPEAKER_02: Oh, oh no.
SPEAKER_01: I've had kitties in the past that needed to be on kidney food, and now I guess we're starting that with a dog.
SPEAKER_02: Well, I've had these two on a on a little bit of a diet. I mean, kind of trying to be a little more thoughtful about how much I feed them because sometimes I think I'm a little overzealous. So they're looking pretty good. Yeah. So I'm excited to see when they get weighed now at the vet how they're doing.
SPEAKER_01: Do you know how much your little one weighs? I don't. No, not. Well, when we got Yoda, I thought he was 12 to 15 pounds. Yeah. When he went to the vet last week, he was 19 pounds.
SPEAKER_02: Oh, yeah. Which doesn't sound like a for humans that doesn't sound like a big gain, but on a little dog, that's quite a lot.
SPEAKER_01: Uh-huh. Yeah, it is. It is.
SPEAKER_02: He likes his treats just like me.
SPEAKER_01: Oh my gosh.
SPEAKER_02: And his other daddy loves to give him people food, too. I'm familiar with that process here as well. Pizza, a little bit of cheese. Oh, yeah. Uh well, I'm guilty too. I give him treats when I see him too. And I do it these ones too.
SPEAKER_01: But what's I think what's really funny, and and I would I do this too. When a dog doesn't eat, you get nervous. Yeah, sure. So then you're adding stuff. Right. You know, eat, come on, eat. But they could go for three weeks without eating, it'd be fun.
SPEAKER_02: Yeah, yeah. Well, I noticed that he had a uh a little adjustment when uh Marley wasn't there that it took him a minute to kind of get used to being an only child again. But I felt like when we were over there for before we went to the oh, we should talk about that too. Before we went to the Natural History Museum, he seemed uh a little better. Like he seemed like he was gonna be okay with us leaving him there at the house. He's better, but he's different.
SPEAKER_01: Yeah. I've never had that experience. I've never had more than one animal. Okay. And he was very attached to Marley.
SPEAKER_02: Yeah. It's funny because they're they are kind of like siblings too. They they kind of like each other and hate each other at the same time, sort of.
SPEAKER_01: So but it's interesting to see his realization, his reality changes. Right. I mean, uh Marley was around for 20% of his life. That's a long time. Right. So that's a good friend. Yeah. And he stopped looking out the window all the time. Right. But he still likes to sleep now in the front room near the front door, hoping that he'll come back. Seeing if he'll be coming back.
SPEAKER_02: Yeah. Well, we were over there on a Sunday because what did we do?
SPEAKER_01: Let's see. What do we do on a Sunday? We went to Sunday Mass. Oh, yes. Uh-huh. No, we did not go to Mass. We went to To see a mass of Legos.
SPEAKER_02: Yeah. What did you think? It was quite a pile, quite the pile of Legos. It was amazing.
SPEAKER_01: What's the name of that museum though?
SPEAKER_02: Uh well, I still say Natural History Museum, but they they have a longer name for it too.
SPEAKER_01: Museum of Nature and Science? I think so. They had huge Lego, like four and five hundred pounds.
SPEAKER_02: Yeah, with a million. I I wondered how they counted them when they said this uh piece, you know, contains this number of Legos. I thought, who how'd they count all those? Or do they just make an estimate?
SPEAKER_01: I don't know. And I was also I was they they might make an estimate because you can look online and see what an average selection of what Legos make how many it takes. Oh I can't even speak. Yeah, I know what you mean. How many are in a power?
SPEAKER_02: Right, right. Yeah. And they and the so they could weigh it easily.
SPEAKER_01: But don't you think when you're doing something that amazing, I mean there was a there was a what 20 times life-size monarch butterfly? Right. And full-size humans. Full-size human, full-size uh polar bear.
SPEAKER_02: They had tropical fish, um what was it? Penguin and the baby penguins. Was that a yak or a bison or a something like that, and a horse? Mm-hmm.
SPEAKER_01: They had split things up from like uh the jungle, underwater, polar ice cap, and like North America or something like that. Right.
SPEAKER_02: I d I don't remember. The guy that did these is kind of into sort of earth and saving it and so forth.
SPEAKER_01: Yeah, would you say he has an OCD problem?
SPEAKER_02: Well, you probably to love Legos that much and build things that big. Yep. And are those solid or are they hollow on the inside of them?
SPEAKER_01: They've got to be hollow, don't you? That's what I wonder. I don't know.
SPEAKER_02: And are they glued ultimately? They'd have to glue it together. You how'd you care? Could you carry glue? Around with yeah. Yeah, I don't know.
SPEAKER_01: They had a bicycle, they had a huge um Empire State building. Right.
SPEAKER_02: I can't remember.
SPEAKER_01: Anyway, there's a whole street scene. Kind of a cityscape street scene.
SPEAKER_02: Yeah, it was it was really good. I really enjoyed it.
SPEAKER_01: And I didn't know that Legos ever came with LED lights in them.
SPEAKER_02: They there's a lot of Legos too. When you talk about pieces, it's not just the square blocks that you and I had when we were kids and had Legos. Now there's a lot of lot of different shapes and parts.
SPEAKER_01: I can't remember, but I tried to find a poster that had a really fun color poster that had all the Lego pieces on it. Yes. And apparently they introduced six to seven thousand new pieces a year. So something like sixty thousand of them. That's a lot of parts.
SPEAKER_02: You're not going to find a poster then. Maybe a lot of posters.
SPEAKER_01: I guess the people that are listening that are into Legos know that there's all kinds of websites that have pictures of and I like Legos and I've put a few things together.
SPEAKER_02: Well, look up above you, you can see my One Piece I've built.
SPEAKER_01: Oh, that's beautiful. It's it looks like a rainbow flag with rainbow people in front of it.
SPEAKER_02: It is the rainbow people. Yep. That's nice. Uh Everyone is awesome. Remember there was a Lego song from a Lego movie called Everything Is Awesome, and that one's called Everyone Is Often Awesome. So it's all the rainbow people, all the colors of the rainbow.
SPEAKER_01: Unless you're slut and then everyone is often.
SPEAKER_02: Often, everyone is often awesome and often.
SPEAKER_01: That's what your doctor tells you.
SPEAKER_02: Yes.
SPEAKER_01: But there was something else we celebrated. Well, that wasn't a celebration. That was just a celebration of Legos.
SPEAKER_02: Yeah, that was which was fun. It was a really good thing. And we saw dinosaurs too.
SPEAKER_01: We did.
SPEAKER_02: We managed to get the dinosaurs into the mix of things as well, which was nice.
SPEAKER_01: And then it wasn't Sunday, but it was the following week, I believe that you had an anniversary.
SPEAKER_02: On the following Thursday, we did. Yeah. One of our anniversaries. Uh-huh. We keep track of the day we f met, uh-huh, the day we moved in together, uh, the day we got married, not legally, but just uh at the at that time, the Metropolitan Community Community Church of the Rockies called it a holy union, which was not a legal thing, but we did that at one point in our lives, and then we had the the legal marriage one. So we have we have a lot of anniversaries.
SPEAKER_01: Well, you've gone overboard.
SPEAKER_02: Yeah, I think so.
SPEAKER_01: You've taken the slogan it's not done until it's overdone and just maxed it out. Yeah. We have two.
SPEAKER_02: Okay.
SPEAKER_01: And I hear about it every year because it's in the write-in calendar on Big Fatty Online.
SPEAKER_02: Oh, okay.
SPEAKER_01: And so Big Fatty always complains that we're selling we're double dipping, is what he calls it.
SPEAKER_02: Okay. I better send him mine because mine would be like a quadruple dip, then with all my with all my uh anniversary.
SPEAKER_01: We have what would be considered the official start of our anniversary, or official start of our relationship, I should say. And that was like 27 years ago. And uh, we had been dating for the summer and then we finished out the summer with trip to New Orleans. Oh, nice. And so that's sort of the beginning of our relationship. And then twelve years ago, we were legally married. So we're old farts.
SPEAKER_02: This one was the Metropolitan Community Church Holy Union anniversary that we just celebrated that you guys took us to dinner for. Uh-huh. And that and that was fun. We went to the Angelos, Taverna, and Oyster Bar. Do they have oysters there? They do. In the center of the country in Denver, there's oysters. They do. They say they ship them in from somewhere fresh. I don't exactly know how it works, but um well if they serve you a dead one, you'll know it. Yeah, I don't know if you like them or not. Do you even like oysters? Okay.
SPEAKER_01: I had a bad experience in New Orleans that just turned me off. And one more time I tried it again at an oyster bar in Sh in uh San Francisco, did it again. Oh wow, and that was the end. Twice is enough for me.
SPEAKER_02: No, I would probably do it. I mean, I didn't that night because we were gonna have other stuff, but but I've had them there before.
SPEAKER_01: The first time I ever had them was in New Orleans, and there was an oyster bar somewhere. Somewhere in the old quarter or just on the edge of the old quarter, and there were piles and piles of oysters on ice.
SPEAKER_02: Yeah.
SPEAKER_01: And you could see the guy, you tell him how many you wanted, and uh he'd pick them out of the pile. And if he picked one up, he'd tap it with a knife or something. If it didn't have some response, he'd throw it in the trash.
SPEAKER_02: Okay.
SPEAKER_01: So you know, every He knew what he was looking for. And they were wonderful.
SPEAKER_02: Yeah. Well, here at the at Angelos, you can get uh like fried ones or you know, different kinds of ones that are also cooked if you don't want to have that raw oyster on the half shell business. But I have tried both. But Angelos is really also known for their Italian food and for pizza.
SPEAKER_01: Well, they've been in Denver for at least 40 years. Yeah, for a long, long time. Yeah, it's really fun.
SPEAKER_02: Yeah, it was fun. Thanks for taking us. We have time.
SPEAKER_01: I have a birthday coming up.
SPEAKER_02: Well, it's our birthday season, it's the season of the birthday.
SPEAKER_01: Well, it's our birthday month. We celebrate the whole month. Sarge and I just say April's our month.
SPEAKER_02: Because you have birthdays on the same month in the same month. So yeah, so that'll be coming up.
SPEAKER_01: But you and I have different months, but we're the same age.
SPEAKER_02: We're a month apart, but you're older than me.
SPEAKER_01: Yeah, by what, a month?
SPEAKER_02: Almost two months.
SPEAKER_01: Two months, yeah. I can't believe that we're gonna be 55 this year.
SPEAKER_02: Oh, yeah, right. Me either. I can't believe it. I really can't believe middle age. Yeah. Oh, to be 55 again and know what I know now, as they say.
SPEAKER_01: Oh god. We'd be dangerous.
SPEAKER_02: Uh-huh. Well, what else is coming up? I know we're gonna do picnic in the park.
SPEAKER_01: Oh, that's this Sunday. Yeah. We're gonna take a picnic. We're gonna station ourselves next to the walking and or the jogging and bicycle path in Washington Park. Right. Wash Park. The cool kids call it Wash Park, but it's Washington Park.
SPEAKER_02: Oh, they do? Yeah, if you're gonna go to Wash Park. Yeah. But that's Washington Park.
SPEAKER_01: What's the vibe of Wash Park?
SPEAKER_02: Uh we like to go there to look at the people walking their dogs. We look go there to look at dogs, at puppies, we say.
SPEAKER_01: Oh, you look at puppies. Puppies. There are some very in-shape puppies. Some really attractive puppies there.
SPEAKER_02: So I would say the vibe. And by puppies, we mean there are dogs, but the guys walking the dogs are shirtless or jogging around that.
SPEAKER_01: But you're not looking at them, you're just looking at the dogs. Oh no, just at the dogs. Yeah, of course. Of course.
SPEAKER_02: Just at the dogs.
SPEAKER_01: So the four of us are gonna go down and do some dog watching. Do some dog watching. Yeah, exactly. That'll be fun.
SPEAKER_02: Yeah.
SPEAKER_01: We did that last year. It was great. Uh-huh. I hope we can do it a few more times this year.
SPEAKER_02: Right, right. We should do it more than once for sure.
SPEAKER_01: But there's a lot. Yeah.
SPEAKER_02: Are we pod fading? Well, we we think we're not. Is that what everybody thinks? But is but do you but are we? I mean, you have to uh sometimes you have to admit. I don't think we are, but maybe what do you think?
SPEAKER_01: I would say I mean I guess anybody could call it anything they wanted to. I would say no.
SPEAKER_02: No.
SPEAKER_01: I would say not at all because I still, you know, I do a podcast every week if I could.
SPEAKER_02: We have good intentions of doing it. Yeah. We talk about it. We've done a few recordings of things and it and they just haven't they were, you know, unusable for one reason or another. And so things just haven't come out.
SPEAKER_01: Well, I'm doing great. I mean, physically I'm doing great. Yeah. I just uh switch medications and that's really good. But um there are days and more and more of them, and parts of days when I just my brain just doesn't want to think and come out with logical things.
SPEAKER_02: Right. And we've had a couple days like that too, where and not just you, where either one of us has said, I don't think we've gotten together with the intention of recording, and then we've one of or the other has said, I don't think it's gonna work out today. I'm just not in the right space to do it.
SPEAKER_01: So well, and I don't know if we said this before, but the other part is that you know if it doesn't sound good, we shouldn't force it. But that's not I wouldn't say that's fading. It's it's just life is has has its complications.
SPEAKER_02: Ups and downs, and it's hectic and other things going on. Yeah. And I say that when we get one that doesn't sound happy, just speed it to double speed and put it out that way.
SPEAKER_01: Triple speed.
SPEAKER_02: And then it'll sound great.
SPEAKER_01: Yeah. We should try that sometime. I heard a little enormous panic from one of our listeners.
SPEAKER_02: Oh, yes. Okay. I did too. It was it was our friend Kathy. She panicked because she uh couldn't find her coffee cup. Her enormous coffee cup. I was fixing to send you a message and say, do we need to find another one? And send I don't know if we have any more of those.
SPEAKER_01: Oh, I think I could probably find it.
SPEAKER_02: Wrestle up one? Find another one, yeah. Okay, that she might need another one if she lost her her cup. But she found it.
SPEAKER_01: She did find it. But you know what made me feel so good and so complimented that she mentioned it and that she was the only one allowed to use it. To use the that's her cup. It made me smile.
SPEAKER_02: Yeah, that's nice. Thanks, Kathy.
SPEAKER_01: Thanks. Made me think of the time that we that we met her. Hey, by the way, I wonder if she's coming to town this year. See you soon. Well, she might be. She might be coming soon, actually.
SPEAKER_02: Oh, good.
SPEAKER_01: Maybe, yeah.
SPEAKER_02: Good. We'll see. It'll it'll be a surprise. I won't tell you. You have to ask surprise.
SPEAKER_01: Okay, well, Kathy, I hope you come to town because we'd love to see you again.
SPEAKER_02: Yeah, yeah, that'll be great. Well, shall we go ahead and just uh we're trying to do kind of a down and dirty catch-up today. So should we move on to the soundtrack of our life? Yeah. Do you feel prepared for it?
SPEAKER_01: I am so prepared for this. I can't tell you. This is the perfect soundtrack song. Okay, do you want to go first? Do you want me to go first? Who's going first? Don't you always say it the best for last? And so I'm not competitive at all.
SPEAKER_02: So that means I go last. No, you go first. I should go first. Yeah. All right. So for my soundtrack of my life song this week, I have chosen a new song, actually. Well, fairly new. I it's not totally new now, and we're kind of seeing it in a lot of places. I just saw it, I just saw it performed on the iHeart Music Awards. Oh. And I've seen it a couple other places performed online as well. The song is by Ray, stylized as R-A-Y-E, all in caps. She's the one that looks like a retro kind of very much, very much. The song is Where is My Husband? Ooh. And uh keep these key people in mind as you listen to this. Ray says that many of her influences include Aretha Franklin, Al Green, Count Basie. Oh. Go clear back to the big band sound. And if you see the video, watch the video for Where's My Husband, and it looks like a big band kind of video. Uh Nina Simone, you know who that is? Yeah. She's also favorite singles. Yeah, along like black and white, kind of. Uh-huh. Uh how about Tower of Power? Yeah. Kind of a newer band that kind of kind of rides in between jazz and big band and new stuff, kinda. Yep. I heard her say once that she liked the Clark sisters, which is a a gospel group of singers. Okay. So you're gonna get a flavor of that too. Ray has two sisters that are also just put out songs. Cool.
SPEAKER_01: Wouldn't it be great to see them perform together?
SPEAKER_02: They do. They are like her opening act right now as she's going around. She's in Europe. Ama is her one sister, and her other sister goes by absolutely Abby, but she goes by absolutely. That's great. Um, yeah, and they have songs too, so look for those. But listen to Where is My Husband? I want you to listen to the drum beat and then the patter of Ray and her background singers, vocals. It's so rhythmic. It's it will stick in your head. You you will like it.
SPEAKER_01: Great.
SPEAKER_02: Ray, where is my husband?
SPEAKER_01: All right. As soon as we are done, I'm going to find it and listen to it. Very good. Yep. Well, my song is actually truly a song of my lifetime. Um, there was a television show on when I was a child, and I just loved it. I don't know why. Now I look back on it and I say, Oh, that was really amateur and and kind of creepy. The the main star in it was kind of creepy. Was it color TV or black and white TV? Black and white TV.
SPEAKER_02: Okay.
SPEAKER_01: So anyway, the name of the song is Puffin Billy. Okay. Does that say anything?
SPEAKER_02: No, no. And I thought I always want to think, you know, me, I want to think I know everything about music, so I'm I'm in shock right now.
SPEAKER_01: It's in English, and it's usually performed without words. Say the name of the song again. Puffin, like the bird or okay, okay. Oh, like the cereal I had for breakfast today. I had Trader Joe's puffins. Puffins? Oh wow. Peanut butter and something. Yeah, they're good. Delicious. Uh-huh. It's called Puffin Billy. It became the uh theme song for this children's show from 1955 until 1992. Okay, what show? Captain Kangaroo. Oh, wow.
SPEAKER_02: Okay.
SPEAKER_01: And that is a song that I have never forgotten.
SPEAKER_02: Okay.
SPEAKER_01: And whenever I hear it, I can see the big key ring that he had. When he'd get to the playhouse or whatever it was, he'd take the key off the nail, and when he was leaving, he put it back on the page.
SPEAKER_02: Now I know the song because I know that. I just didn't know that was the name of it. There's Mr.
SPEAKER_01: Green Jeans and Moose. Yeah. Yep. Yeah. Big Fatty does a segment with it. And because it's it's it's been around for such a long time, the song, there's all sorts of versions to it. Right. I think he's played different versions.
SPEAKER_02: I wasn't realizing that, but yeah, no.
SPEAKER_01: Well, later on, they changed the song to Good Morning Captain.
SPEAKER_02: Yes.
SPEAKER_01: Wake up the sunshine, come out and play, share a friendly day.
SPEAKER_02: Okay, nice. And that's what we want to wish for everybody. That's right. Sunshine and play and friendly days. Get out there in the sunshine. It's good for you. It's really good for you. That was fun.
SPEAKER_01: I think we did good. Did we stay on topic? I think we did. I think so too.
SPEAKER_02: Yay. Now, hopefully, if you guys hear this, that means we could edit it and put it out there.
SPEAKER_01: Yep. And uh if you do hear this, hopefully there's another one in the works. Yeah. So have a good day. Be kind. Bye.
SPEAKER_02: Until next time, remember to be kind and like us, keep it enormous.
SPEAKER_03: Just enormous. This podcast is a proud member of the Pride forty Eight Podcasting Network. Check out more great shows at Pride4ty.com. Are you finished? Not yet.
SPEAKER_02: Well, everybody likes a little piece at the end. It's true.
SPEAKER_03: No, I'm finished.