Credit Union Conference: Planning for the New Normal
10.00am-3.30pm, Tuesday 22 September 2020, Clayton Liffey Valley Hotel and live online Presented by the Centre for Community Finance Europe, in collaboration with Liverpool John Moores University.
What is the issue? Enough has been written about the COVID-19 crisis for us all to know the outlines of the impact – the economy significantly depressed, unemployment forecast to climb fast and our members and communities’ financial and general well-being under pressure. The morning session will help credit unions look ahead, by providing insights into the consumer and economic landscape and talking to CEOs about their assessment of the future. In the afternoon, we will focus on practical ideas for safely sustaining lending to members and managing the operation.
Who should attend? Credit union leaders, policy-makers and stakeholders in Great Britain and Ireland.
What is the format? A limited number of places will be available for physical attendance at our Dublin venue (with refreshments and lunch). These will be available to members only, allocated on a first-come, first-served basis. More places will be available for members and non-members online. Please note that the conference will also be released as a webcast / podcast and your attendance is taken as consent to your questions and comments being publicly broadcast.
- Agenda (as at 11 August 2020)
- 9.30 Registration
- 10.00 Welcome and introductions, Dr Paul A Jones, Liverpool John Moores University (LJMU) and the Centre for Community Finance Europe (CFCFE)
- 10.15 The economic and market outlook, Brian Corr, Department of Finance A view of the context for credit union planning
- 10.45 CEO forecasting roundtable, a panel of credit union CEOs from Ireland and the UK, facilitated by Brian Corr How are CEOs planning for the future? 11.45 Over to you, breakout sessions facilitated by CFCFE Discussion of the themes identified by the speaker and the panel
- 12.15 Lunch (for attendees at the hotel, lunch and networking with other attendees available until 13.00)
- 13.00 Credit risk under COVID-19: what is the data telling us?, Declan Mooney, CUFA Ltd How are credit union loan books actually performing?
- 13.30 Converting declines to accepts, Matt Vernon, Quo Money How can we help members who are not currently meeting our credit requirements qualify for loans they can afford?
- 13.55 Successful implementation of revolving credit, John Gregoire, The ProCon Group The practical steps to make this product work for members who value its convenience -- and credit unions who value its cost-efficiency
- 14:25 Lending post-COVID-19: a panel session, Declan Mooney, Matt Vernon, John Gregoire, facilitated by Nick Money, CFCFE
- 15:10 Concluding remarks, Dr Paul A Jones
- 15.30 Close _______________________________________________________________
How much does it cost? Free for members of the Centre for Community Finance Europe (according to membership level). Non-member tickets online only, €75+VAT.
Where do I register to attend? https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/c fcfe-credit-union-conferenceplanning-for-the-new-normaltickets-112972084546
Who should I contact with queries? Nick Money, +44 7540 259053, [email protected]
- In collaboration with the Research Unit for Financial Inclusion at Liverpool John Moores University, www.ljmu.ac.uk/research-unit-forfinancial-inclusion
Programme may be subject to change. Details correct as at 27 August 2020