True North with Abby & Ryan
4 Reasons to Keep Doing Your Thing (And 3 Reasons Not To)
April 02, 2021
Abby & Ryan
Reasons to do your thing:
- It brings you life.
- To elicit reactions, positive and negative
- NOT to help you hone your content based on the feedback.
- BUT to help you decide how much weight feedback should have. (Marcus Aurelius)
- You have to get through the shit to get to the gold. (quantity over quality)
- You’ll discover yourself in ways you couldn’t without it.
Reasons to stop:
- When the work is complete (this also applies to relationships).
- When it FEELS like work (burnout).
- NOT “if something feels like work, stop."
- BUT “if the thing you do specifically because it’s a life-bringer starts to feel like a life-drainer, pause to reevaluate”:
• What’s life-giving about it? Can you transpose that into a less draining activity?
• When did it become not that? What entered the picture that stole the life? (usually money)
• Maybe you need to set boundaries around the thing?
• Maybe clarify your compass? Is it really life-giving?
- If it becomes unsustainable - no room in your life for it?
- Ask why it’s so hard to prioritize. Is it that important to you? Really?
- In order for self-care to be valued, your self must be valued. You must believe YOU are a thing worth cultivating at the expense of you cultivating other people. If you’re not there yet, your passion will always be a side gig and dispensable; it should be an integrated, cornerstone-level part of the life you design for yourself.
Other things to note:
- You don’t have to do it professionally for it to be a valid use of your time.
- You don’t owe anyone your gifts.
- You don’t have to get “good at” it (who decides that anyway?).
- Ryan is grateful for the people in his life whose feedback he highly regards.
- Abby is grateful for her kid's school (and the fact that she listened to her body about deciding to enroll him)
10:22 - Flow
15:15 - It brings you life
17:16 - Getting feedback
22:27 - Quantity over quality
25:07 - Self discovery
29:07 - Accepting when the work is complete
33:34 - Burnout
39:04 - Making room in your life for your passion
46:23 - Misconceptions (externally imposed shoulds)