In this episode, we discuss the minority tax and the negative effects it can have on our wellbeing. Our guest, Evolve Benton, shares with us their insights on this topic and provides us with tips that we can use in order to overcome this tax so that we may be successful in our careers.
1. Define the concepts of minority tax and majority subsidy.
2. Identify ways minority tax can manifest during one’s career and contribute to long-term burnout.
3. Identify strategies allies can employ to alleviate the minority tax for underrepresented colleagues.
4. Identify the important role diversity in the workforce plays in alleviating minority tax.
5. Outline strategies that underrepresented minorities can use to balance multiple responsibilities and avoid the negative effects of minority tax.
6. Strategize ways to implement aspects of a “trauma” protocol model at their own institutions.
Show notes & Transcript available here.
E-mail: [email protected]
Co-hosts/Producers: Dr. DJ Gaines, Branden Barger
Executive Producer: Dr. Tammy Lin
Co-Executive Producers: Dr. Pooja Jaeel, Dr. Tiffany Leung
Senior Producers: Dr. DJ Gaines, Dr. Maggie Kozman
Assistant Producer/Editor: Deepti Yechuri
Production Assistants: Sanika Walimbe, Darian Harris, Ann Truong
Website/Art design: Ann Truong
Music: Chris Dingman