Knowledge on the Nordics
Uncovering the Legacies of Nordic Colonialism with Lill-Ann Körber
March 26, 2021
Listen to this podcast if you want to hear more about:
- The North Atlantic Islands of Greenland, Iceland and the Faroe Islands;
- Denmark-Norway colonialism in the modern-day Caribbean and Ghana and its legacies;
- The Greenlandic flag, 'Erfalasorput', and how it is used to respond to the Danish flag, the 'Dannebrog';
- Contemporary cultural and political debates on racism, including about: Is Scandinavian ‘colourblindness’ a good thing?;
- Breaking down the perception of the Nordics as innocent or exceptional.
Join the editor of nordics.info, Nicola Witcombe on her fifth virtual visit around the Nordic countries in the podcast series The Nordics Uncovered: Critical Voices from the Region. The sixth in the series is with Cathie Jo Martin, Professor in Political Science at the Boston University.
More information about the podcast can be found on nordics.info.
Sound credits : freesound.org, including Lapping Waves.wav by Benboncan, and Short dance by szegvari.
How colonial legacies are analysed through questioning academia & the example of the Greenland and the Danish flags
Re-conceptualising the North Atlantic region
Examples of literature & film
Anti-racist movements in the twentieth century compared to today
The cultivation of the image of Scandinavian ‘colourblindness’
New geographies of Scandinavian studies
Is there still a point in talking about the ‘Nordic region’?