High School History Recap
#16 Krotoa with Prof Shanade Barnabas
June 09, 2021
William H Palk and Prof Shanade Barnabas
In this episode, William discusses the life and legacy of the enigmatic Khoi woman, Krotoa, with Professor Shanade Barnabas of the University of Johannesburg (UJ). The discussion is based on the award-winning 2017 film made to commemorate her life.
Some of the questions include:
- What is the main storyline of Krotoa and why has it won so many awards?
- What are the available historical sources on Krotoa?
- Does the movie do the "real" story of Krotoa justice?
- How is Krotoa represented in the movie?
- What were some of the psychological effects of colonization?
- What are the political dimensions of the story of Krotoa?
- How do different groups justify their claims to Krotoa's legacy?
- What are the important themes in the movie?
- Should South Africans build a monument (metaphorically speaking) around the legacy of Krotoa?
- Should Krotoa be regarded as the mother of a nation?
- Why are women portrayed differently in how historical figures are commemorated?
- Has Krotoa been given her rightful place in history?
- What were some of the effects of Dutch colonization on the Khoikhoi people?
- What would be the best way to immortalize Krotoa?
Find us on twitter:Support the show
William H Palk
Prof Shanade Barnabas
Thanks for listening!