Brand Tuned - Smart Thinking, Better Branding
Shireen Smith (from YouTube) - 3 Facts About Copyright Everyone Should Know
Aug 10, 2020
There is quite a lot of confusion generally with intellectual property terms like copyright, trademarks, and patents. You need to have some understanding of these terms as they are a type of “property” that it’s possible to own, just like land. They impact every business nowadays in the digital economy.
- It pays to be mindful of the longer term implications of your early actions when implementing new ideas.
- Copyright is essential to understand if you want to create assets that will grow in value as your business becomes more established. It crops up in many different ways.
- There is quite a lot of confusion generally with intellectual property terms like copyright, trademarks, and patents.
- The types of copyright works which are potentially relevant to individuals and businesses alike include:
- books, brochures and written content
- films and videos
- photographs, drawings, and illustrations
- logos and packaging
- computer programs, and games.
- Copyright only comes into being when a work is fixed in some sort of tangible form, such as when it’s written down
- There is no copyright infringement involved as long as the recipe they write isn’t a word for word copy of your recipe with just one or two minor changes say.
- When it is not clear cut an experienced copyright lawyer may be able to advise you, but ultimately if it’s really borderline whether there is copyright infringement or not, this is ultimately a question of fact.
- Ultimately we all stand on the shoulders of giants and there is no completely original thought. So, if you’ve developed your ideas drawing from a combination of sources then it’s more likely than not that it would be your own IP.