Brand Tuned - Smart Marketing, Better Branding
Shireen Smith - How to Use the Brand To Guide your Business Journey.
Oct 09, 2020
In this epsiode, I discuss what should be included in your brand book, not just brand guidelines, once you’ve been through a branding exercise. There’s useful information in there too about how to position yourself to be more distinctive in your market.
- Many businesses I come across or who I interview on the podcast have, like me, just had designs created for them in the name of branding
- A comprehensive branding exercise should provide you with a strategy that is a central, unifying idea around which all behaviour, actions and communications of your company can be aligned
- Business success is much more about how effective you are in running your business than it is about your visual designs
- While I am still writing my brand book, I have learnt a huge amount from the exercise, which will inform the new book I will be releasing in 2021
- The strategic direction is hardly ever articulated verbally in a brand book by designers. Instead, you tend to get brand guidelines, which are essentially a style guide
- Having clarity around your positioning is key
- A comprehensive brand book would drill down into the language you would use, words you would or would not say even
- Your mission is all about what your company aims to do
- Strategy is something you use long term to inform your decisions
- My experience with brand guidelines is that are not always comprehensive enough in scope to guide others in all the different situations when the brand needs to be used in a consistent way