Brand Tuned - Smart Thinking, Better Branding
Shireen Smith (from YouTube) - What is Copyright?
Nov 16, 2020
My aim in this episode is to answer 3 essential questions about what copyright is by giving you
- Examples of copyright
- Reasons why you might want to have copyright.
- Some ideas for how to avoid some common copyright problems.
Copyright is very wide-ranging in scope. Some examples of what it protects include
- typefaces, music, videos,
- works of art and performances.
- Content on websites
- Here it’s important to note that copyright is a property right
- Think of copyright as you might think of a plot of land, even though the examples of copyright may be intangible, they are nevertheless assets
- Whenever you’re turning your idea into a business, transforming your ideas into a commercial proposition, some of the first tasks you’ll likely get help with or have created for you, will be copyright works. copyright should be an uppermost consideration
- In every jurisdiction be it UK, USA, Australia, or wherever, there are rules which determine who owns the copyright in a work
- If you don’t negotiate terms about copyright in the agreement with the developer you effectively accept that the developer shall own all the rights in your website
- There is a popular belief that content that is on the web is in the public domain, but it’s not. So, if you use images, sounds or other content that is not licensed to you, you’re at risk
- Make sure you find out what the laws in your country say about copyright ownership