Today we enter the world of psychologist Steph Schmidt and her experience with post-natal depression. Not just once but twice. Post-natal depression doesn’t discriminate, even when you’ve been trained with tools and strategies at your fingertips. Steph talks about her time and what has helped her move through the challenges that PND brings.
We also talk about what it’s like to be a rural psychologist in isolated communities and be 2020 Agrifutures Rural Women’s Award winner during COVID19.
Come and join us.
What we talk about:
· What it’s like being a psychologist with post-natal depression
· Therapy for the therapist
· The benefits of being an award winner during COVID-19 when you are pregnant
· Motherhood and post-natal depression
· Isolation and loneliness
· Mental health in rural and isolated communities
· What it means to live rurally or remotely
· Leaning into discomfort
· Strategies for getting well and remaining well
· Identifying achievements when someone has post-natal depression
· Self care makes Steph a better wife and mum
· Mental health challenges in rural settings caused by natural disasters
· Rural resilience and rural resilience programs
· The benefit of being flexible and adaptable
· Steph’s amazing grandmothers being her courageous influence
· Fleeing from war, being a refugee, leaving it all behind
Interview: Sana Turnock
Produced and edited by: Sana Turnock
Audio mastering: Woods Media Lab
Copyright-free music credits: - Easy Day – Kevin McLeod, Eternal Garden – Dan Henig