Bridging Business & IT
S1 E3 Part 1: The Cause - Our Brain Doesn’t Work the Way We Thought
August 20, 2021
Dave Burrill and Dan Burrill
Our entire approach to running IT projects is based on an unspoken assumption that is so deeply engrained in our culture it’s treated as a given. There’s only one problem with this assumption—it’s wrong. Humans are not rational actors who control their thoughts and actions. We don’t control our brain. Our brain controls us in ways, and to an extent, we never imagined. Part one of this episode begins to unpack this discovery and explain its consequences.
Continue to Part 2
- “Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking” by Malcolm Gladwell
- “Thinking Fast & Slow” by Daniel Kahneman
- “How We Decide” by Jonah Lehrer
- “Behave: The biology of humans at our best and worst” by Robert Sapolsky
- “The Brain” by David Eagleman
- “Incognito” by David Eagleman
- “The paradox of human expertise: why experts get it wrong” by Itiel E. Dror
- “Subliminal” by Leonard Mlodinow
- “Free Will” by Sam Harris
- “Flourish” by Martin E. P. Seligman
- “Shine” by Ned Hallowell
It’s not what you don’t know that gets you in trouble...
We’re blaming people for being human.
There’s a problem with subject matter experts.
What our brain is and what it isn’t.