In today’s episode, we are going to answer the question: What is sustainable wellbeing? When we think about the word sustainable, the Merriam Webster Dictionary defines it as, “a method of harvesting or using a resource so that the resource is not depleted or permanently damaged.” In the context of environmental sustainability, as taken from the Brundtland Commission Report in 1987, sustainability means, “meeting our own needs without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.” Now, we all have likely learned ways in which we can be more sustainable in our daily lives, like composting, riding a bike rather than driving, simply producing less waste, or using renewable energy sources, and that all fits into the category of environmental sustainability and sustainable living. It feels good to be compassionate towards the planet and animals, but it can still be difficult to see how our sustainable behaviors are positively affecting us on a personal level. That’s where sustainable wellbeing comes in, but how do we connect sustainability and wellbeing? Can we actually find personal wellbeing in looking after our mental and physical health, and do what is right for the planet at the same time? Well, yes we can! This episode goes into detail about how you can start making small steps towards your own sustainable wellbeing, ultimately living lighter on the planet, and also living well for yourself and for others. Tune in today!
Key Points From This Episode:
1. Sustainable actions and behaviors can actually have a positive effect on our own wellbeing.
2. Actions that benefit us can also benefit the planet and society.
3. Living more sustainably can actually generate happiness.
4. Sustainable wellbeing involves our connection with nature.
5. Sustainable wellbeing includes being part of a community where we contribute and benefit.
6. The fruits of sustainable wellbeing are numerous.
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode: