Today on the show, I share with listeners how they can simplify their lives to amplify the aspects that are most important to them, thereby helping them to create happier, more intentional lives. It is easy to be swept up and distracted by the issues of the present moment and what the media puts on our radar, but how about regaining control of your life and deciding which things you want to pay more attention to? If we fail to set intentions, we get pulled in every direction by what is happening in our world. When you know what you want to get out of life, it is time to start prioritizing so that those things can become the focus. This will require you to say no to some things, however, since every time you say yes to something, you are inadvertently saying no to others. In this episode, I discuss how we can apply the principles of voluntary simplicity, why we need to have a purpose and vision, and explain how thinking of every aspect of your life as a bank account can help you get the balance right! I also dish out several strategies for creating a calmer, simpler life that best serves you and your environment.
Key Points From This Episode:
- Simplification and the environmental movement have gone hand in hand for many decades.
- Simplicity is also gaining traction in the areas of business, productivity, and life satisfaction.
- How simplicity also serves our mental health and the wellbeing of the planet.
- Learn about ‘voluntary simplicity’ and how it was embraced in the sustainability movement.
- Our tendency to repeat old patterns that perpetuate stress and chaos in our lives.
- The role of creativity and vision in helping us remedy what our reality lacks.
- Examples of how the pandemic has shifted how we doing things in society.
- A few books to help you implement meaningful changes and live with a plan and a purpose.
- The value of envisioning a new future and reflecting on the legacy you want to leave behind.
- Simplicity is a thread that runs through not only sustainability but also minimalism, productivity, and business.
- The term “voluntary simplicity” has been impactful in our understanding of sustainable living where we wish to live a life that is outwardly simple yet inwardly rich.
- The Living Forward book gives us actionable steps in order to simplify our lives – be sure to check it out!
- Consider the different aspects of your life like bank accounts from which you can withdraw and deposit. Avoid withdrawing too much from one and over-investing in another.
- Remember that saying yes to one thing means saying no to others, so prioritize your life accounts.
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
The ONE Thing
The Value of Voluntary Simplicity
Becoming Steve Jobs
Free to Focus