Show Summary: "We allow people to consume as much sugar as possible without them recognizing it and, it leads to a lifetime of health issues."
Sugary foods are yummy and inviting, but they are also addicting and dangerous. Its availability in the market without any limitations makes it accessible to everyone without recognizing the harm in the long run. Almost all foods contain sugar, but not all are aware of properly looking at the label or nutritional facts.
However, your cells, your body, and your brain use sugar as energy. So the question is, is sugar good or bad?
In this episode, Juanique, shares a story about Tristin's craving for root beer float and how it triggered their Instagram followers' curiosity about its sugar content. Together with Gina Worful, a registered dietitian and master of human nutrition, they discuss:
- What the body's threshold for sugar intake is
- What happens in the body when your blood sugar starts to rise
- When blood sugar spikes up
Stay tuned and find out if the “Perfect” root beer float exists.
Gutsy Health Membership
Provo Health Instagram
Gina Worful Mastering Mindfulness
Gina Worful Conquering Cravings
Use the code: Gutsy
- Insulin in high dose is actually very inflammatory to the body. It can cause organ damage
- If we get a huge load of sugar at one time, it overwhelms your bloodstream.
- Self awareness is really your most powerful tool.
How’s Tristin and Juanique?
- It's been really hard. Everyone is probably thinking 2020 was like the worst year of their lives, 2021 is potentially the worst year of my life..
How did the root beer float trigger start?
- There was one day where he's just craving root beer floats. So his dad went out and bought him some ice cream, which is like a keto ice cream. It has low sugar, but a whole bunch of other ingredients. And then we got the zevia root beers and they taste really good, but they're sweetened with stevia. So I showed everyone online, I'm like, “Hey, this is how I make Justin's root beer floats.”
Is eating protein bars the same as eating Snickers??
- Seeing some of these bars, well, they’re healthy. It's a protein bar but it has 25 grams of sugar.
Are artificial sweeteners safe?
- Artificial sweeteners do actually cause gut dysbiosis, which leads to obesity (long term), and it also leads to immune system dysfunction.