Where Confidence Really Comes From | Joel Toews
June 15, 2021
Carolyn Coffin and Kim Senechal
Joel Toews is a husband and father from Winnipeg who loves trail running and organizing races for trail runners under On The Edge Running. During the day (when not shut down by COVID) he’s a Personal Trainer and Group Training Coach at North Star Fitness.
He’s been running since high school and almost exclusively trails and ultras for 10 years. His most notable finishes include Superior 100, Bighorn 100, Canadian Death Race, Actif Epica and Voyageur 50.
In this episode we discuss:
- Joel’s running origin story
- Lessons learned from his first 100 miler
- Crewing at Western States and how this year will be different
- His 2019 Canadian Death Race mud story
- The trials and tribulations of being a race director for grassroots trail races during a pandemic
Joel is such an easy person to talk to and listen to that we are sure you will enjoy our banter with Joel!
Connect with Joel on social:
IG personal: @joelatoews
IG personal training: @joelatoewspersonaltraining
IG trail running events: @ontheedgerunning
Resources we discussed in the episode:
- Favourite Mantra: It never always gets better.
- Favourite Place to Run: Falcon Ridge, Birch
- Bucket List Race: Western States, Hardrock, Leadville, Arrowhead, Fat Dog
- Favourite Running Move: The Runner
- Post-Run Indulgence: Fries, Chips