1. Overview of disease site
2. Management of localized disease
4. Metastatic Disease
As always, citations, and sources include education from our respective training programs, the Devita textbook, and Uptodate.com
DeVita, Vincent T., Jr., Theodore S. Lawrence, and Steven A. Rosenberg. Devita, Hellman, and Rosenberg's Cancer: Principles & Practice of Oncology. 10th edition. Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer, 2015.
Uptodate.com Waltham, MA: Wolters Kluwer.
Some highlighted references recommended to read related to this specific episode:
1. Rao S, Guren MG, Khan K, et al. Anal cancer: ESMO Clinical Practice Guidelines for diagnosis, treatment and follow-up☆. Annals of Oncology. 2021;32(9):1087-1100. doi:10.1016/j.annonc.2021.06.015
2. Morris VK, Salem ME, Nimeiri H, et al. Nivolumab for previously treated unresectable metastatic anal cancer (NCI9673): a multicentre, single-arm, phase 2 study. Lancet Oncol. 2017;18(4):446-453. doi:10.1016/S1470-2045(17)30104-3
3. Rao S, Sclafani F, Eng C, et al. International rare cancers initiative multicenter randomized phase II trial of cisplatin and fluorouracil versus carboplatin and paclitaxel in advanced anal cancer: InterAAct. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2020;38(22):2510-2518. doi:10.1200/JCO.19.03266
4. Flam M, John M, Pajak TF, et al. Role of mitomycin in combination with fluorouracil and radiotherapy, and of salvage chemoradiation in the definitive nonsurgical treatment of epidermoid carcinoma of the anal canal: results of a phase III randomized intergroup study. https://doi.org/101200/JCO19961492527. 2016;14(9):2527-2539. doi:10.1200/JCO.19184.108.40.2067
5. James RD, Glynne-Jones R, Meadows HM, et al. Mitomycin or cisplatin chemoradiation with or without maintenance chemotherapy for treatment of squamous-cell carcinoma of the anus (ACT II): A randomised, phase 3, open-label, 2×2 factorial trial. Lancet Oncol. 2013;14(6):516-524. doi:10.1016/S1470-2045(13)70086-X
6. Northover J, Glynne-Jones R, Sebag-Montefiore D, et al. Chemoradiation for the treatment of epidermoid anal cancer: 13-year follow-up of the first randomised UKCCCR Anal Cancer Trial (ACT I). Br J Cancer. 2010;102(7):1123. doi:10.1038/SJ.BJC.6605605
7. Nigro ND, Vaitkevicius VK, Considine B. Combined therapy for cancer of the anal canal: A preliminary report. Dis Colon Rectum. 1974;17(3):354-356. doi:10.1007/BF02586980
Talking about Tumors with Ryan and Ryann is not medical advice. We have received no funding in relation to the information discussed within this episode and have no financial conflicts of interest to disclose. All opinions are those of whoever stated them. We have compiled this podcast to serve as an introduction to the field of medical oncology for post-graduate trainees interested in the topic.
Hematology/Oncology, evidence based medicine, education, chemotherapy, immunotherapy, medical oncology